iPhone X and iPhone 8 Charge to 50% in 30 Minutes With Fast-Charge Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I've already got my USB C charger

found one on eBay a few weeks ago, 61W adapter brand new, 2m charge cable brand new, and that stupid extender that needs 3 prongs, $35 (did not come with a USB C to Lightning cable though)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Remember though, Apple isn't priced just for the rich

2. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

This is sweet! I already have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro so this is a nice freebie I wasn’t expecting.

3. Olganech macrumors regular

Do they support fast charging out of the box? Or do you have to pay extra for the fast charger?

Again other platfor.s have had this for years and they have had fast chargers in the box as standard.

Fast charging is not the same as Qi charging.

I can plug .y 2 year old phone jn and have it charge to 50% in 30 minutes with the standard charger that came in the box.

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I had to fight Apple to send me a 29w charger and a USB-C to Lightning cable for my iPad Pro 10.5 when I bought it.

I had a senior advisor tell me “it’s not listed for the device so I can’t even order it” so I had to fight for over an hour with them and finally I got one for free. Glad I did now but it’s absolutely ridiculous that a phone that’s $1149 dollars doesn’t include the proper adapter.

I hate being stuck in apples ecosystem. I really do. I feel like they can pretty much do whatever at this point and I’ll buy it.

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Welcome, Apple customers, to 2014.

Along with OLED and wireless charging, fast charging is something Android phones have had for a while.
    Wait. What?

The iPhone is only fast charge capable? Does it not come with a fast charger?
    Fast charging is the best. I no longer charge over night - I just plug in when I wake up. By the time I'm leaving for work it's at 100%.

And those times when you're going out for the night and realise you've only got 20% left, with the fast charger you're up to 50%+ in a matter of minutes.

6. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

That’s why we wait for the third-party solutions on Amazon. $9.99, shipped to your door.

7. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Hope you filed a police report when Apple forced a gun on you and took your money.
    Having sympathy for a corporation is why APPLE has your "GD MONEY". :rolleyes:

8. Patrick3949 macrumors newbie

9. tripleh3lix macrumors regular

tripleh3lix

Bye guys. Luv ya. iPhone X too expensive.

Android more feature. Less cost. Easier to get.

Wireless charging and 128gb card free. I'll be back for you iPhone, this is just a stop until next year

Just kidding. But really did this even after the X announcement. Hopefully I like it!

Attached Files:

10. BeatCrazy, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

Not quite right. What you're describing is the iPhone's ability to draw 10 watts (2A @ 5V) from either the 10w or 12w iPad chargers.

For the new 8/8 Plus/X (already available with iPad Pro 10.5 and both 12.9s), Apple is introducing "fast charging" which will likely mean 18 watts (2A @ 9V) or "best case" a full 29 watts (2A @ 14.5V). Note, for either 18 or 29 watt fast charging, you must use USB-C cable to Lightning, and have the appropriate USB-C Power Delivery controller in the destination device. It is unknown if the PD controller in the upcoming iPhones will negotiate either 18 or 29 watts, from appropriate chargers.

One other note about USB-C chargers, related to "fast charging" if iOS devices. As of now, Apple's own 61w/87w USB-C chargers only negotiate 18 watts (2A @ 9V) with iPad Pros, and presumably the new iPhones. To get the full/best "fast charging" with iOS devices, you need the 29 watt (2A @ 14.5V) USB-C charger that is available with the retina MacBooks.

11. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I was wondering if there was a difference between using the 29, 61 & 87 watt chargers.

12. BeatCrazy macrumors 6502a

Yup. 61w/87w chargers don't support 29 watt output (2A @ 14.5V) because I think that violates USB-C Power Delivery specs. Somehow, Apple's 29w USB-C charger was grandfathered into the USB-C specs?

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

(Bold added for emphasis)

It stopped being your money when you exchanged it for an Apple product in return. Now that it belongs to Apple it's its right to do with it as they please (within the law, of course). Apple isn't looking for your sympathy or friendship.

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Pre order. That's not offering it regularly. Also S7/S8 don't offer it.

Is this Samsung directly offering this or a particular reseller or carrier?

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

But they had plenty of time though to talk about emojis!

16. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Set the phone to Airplane Mode and plug in. I guarantee you'll get to 50% in under 30min

17. rGiskard, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Teardowns and tests of third party chargers show that they're inferior in quality. They deliver less clean power, with a lot of noise in the voltage, and voltage regulation is poor. Some are even constructed less safely with poor separation of high and low voltage sections. Apple chargers also ramp down current differently than other chargers. Apple ramps down charging current more aggressively as the battery charges, perhaps to minimize thermal stress. Whatever the reason, it's best to assume the design was intentional.

Other quality branded chargers (Samsung, Dell, etc) exceed off-brands in voltage regulation and low noise but their charging current still ramps differently from Apple's.

In this one instance I do recommend we all suck it up and buy the Apple branded gear - and I'm a cheap bastard who will go 3rd party for almost anything. I'm looking for the study and will post a link if I can find it.

Edit: Found the study. I corrected my post because initially I misremembered a bit. The study is a bit old but I can't find anything newer.

18. mib1800 macrumors 68000

Most probablyapple will built some proprietary hardware that if you use other non apple charger, fast charging will not activate.

19. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

Agree, but I refer to Belkin, Anker, and similar quality products that are incredibly solid and better-designed.

20. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Who is talking about wireless chargers?? Lol apple apologist.

21. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

Found the study, and I misremembered a bit. It's current, not voltage, that Apple ramps down on their charger. The reviewer didn't know what to make of it but my own take is that it's to charge the battery more gently with less thermal stress.

Belkin does not fair well in the testing.

Study.

22. darkskies macrumors newbie

"That means the cheapest solution for fast charging is going to cost iPhone owners an additional $74."

Errr...no.

What you mean is it costs $74 extra if you buy APPLE charging kit.

I've bought an Anker QuickCharge 3 usb charger for $20 and can use my existing lighting cables.

23. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Absolutely terrific news. Keep overflexing, Apple.

See how far you can go and then ruin your ability to overprice for years to come.

Come on, there has to be more that you can squeeze out of the poor fella who buys into this mess.
    And keep giving charming interviews about "we don't do it for the money" and all that jazz, Tim.
    Last I heard people keep that in the back of their head when they configure their next Apple purchase.

Glassed Silver:ios

24. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

Then they should immediately stop pretending to do so, Sherlock.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you thought they were trying to be your pal then you have a lonely existence. Anyone that thinks any organization established to make money is trying to be friends for any purpose other than to glean money out of your pocket is naive or too young to understand adult life.

It may seem like "duh" to you, I don't know. Certainly OP thinks he still has a claim to money he spent.