iPhone X and iPhone 8 Charge to 50% in 30 Minutes With Fast-Charge Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

So what charger do we need the 29w one?

To buy that and the plug it will cost Like £70

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I think they would have received an applause just because it’s a much demanded and needed feature, but the worst they would get would be no reaction, I.e. what happened when they announced the iPhone X price. Disappointment.

3. jamesrick80 Suspended

jamesrick80

Directly from Samsung no matter what carrier...still a great bargain. Free even if temporary is free.

4. Narg macrumors member

Quite a few people crowing thinking this is a bad thing. Really it's not, and nothing new. Nothing new for Apple or many other companies. I've seen a lot of cell phones that the charger is underrated, plus laptops, and many other devices. As long as it charges, I see no problem here. The iPhone 6 and 6s line also charged faster with a different charger. Not the 50% in 30mins, but up to twice as fast with the charger intended for the iPad. Many folks when out and bought 2 amp chargers to do this. I know I did. I'd see that as a premium feature, so I have no issue with Apple in thinking extra $$ is required to take advantage of it. It's called an open market folks. Many brave people fought in the past, and still fight today to defend this open market concept (as well as other nice benefits to a free society) Get over it, and get over yourself.

5. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

They would have received applause saying here's a great feature but the adapter you get in the box doesn't work for this feature? I guess Apple lovers maybe but not a normal consumer.

6. ksnell macrumors 6502

ksnell

Charging seems to be one thing Apple is always behind the curve on with phones, whether its fast charging or wireless charging.

Hoping they will be the first to long range wireless charging at least.

7. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Well at least it has it, and they may not had disclosed that it costs extra. Like I said if they did they would get no reaction like when they did it with the iPad Pro.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Apple has to protect those margins. That's why they don't include a fast charge adapter in the box.
    Samsung has included them with their flagship phones since the S5.
    Want a spare, they're only $29 and that includes a 3' USB-A to USB-C cable.

9. MRI3T macrumors member

What a bunch of damn cry babies and complainers!!! First of all, its not good to constantly "fast" charge ANY device!
    Second..... just use your damn iPad charger, and you will have pretty much the same effect!!! Did you ever notice that when your iPhone has a low percent of charge left, that it actually charges PDQ!!! Ive noticed that when I'm below, say, 20 %, my 7+ will charg about 1% / min. That its on the charger!!! Which = 30% !! Not too bad. And for the guy who comes home after work, and has about 30 min., Until he is ready to go back out for dinner etc., how about charging it in the car.. or better yet, how about putting your ****ing phone down for a hot minute and stop being a DICK/rude to your company!!!!! 30 % charge should get you through the evening dinner!!! You are probably not taking calls from the POTUS, or neither are you curing Cancer!!!! If I was at dinner with you, and you were constantly on your phone, I would slap that **** outta your hand!!!

10. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

I don't own an ipad and have no desire to own one but thanks for your classy post.

11. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

At least you only have to replace the cable when it breaks instead of the entire charger like you used to.

$199 probably.

12. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why you're defending something that every other smartphone manufacturer provides when they sell their smartphones capable of quick charging. It's straight up silly for Apple not to provide a capable power cube.

13. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I wish they included it. That said, I don't think "silly" is the term I would use. "Wise" perhaps.

Apple is a publicly traded company and is obligated to maximize profits to the best of their abilities. Simple economics - if people are willing to pay a premium for your product and purchase accessories, you don't maximize profits by giving accessories away for free and selling your products at a reduced cost unnecessarily. You charge the most you can based on what the market will support.

14. mib1800 macrumors 68000

Correct...blood sucking wise.

Can't believe some of you are defending apple for this ...

15. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

It's not a matter of "defending". Most people, if they were the CEO of a publicly traded company, would be trying to maximize profits, you included. If not, you wouldn't be CEO for long. Make no mistake, Apple is in business to make money and nothing else. That goes for 99.9% of other companies as well.

Again, for personal reasons, I wish they'd included the fast charging adapter in the box. But I also understand why they didn't. That doesn't mean I'm defending them. But I work for a publicly traded company and I very much understand why businesses make the decisions that they do. That's all.

16. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Started hunting today for the OEM accessories at the local BB/Walmart. It’s just about holiday season these will go on sale at some point. I’ll snatch them up then.

17. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Shoot mixed up threads. Damn.

18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I think you’ve really, really misunderstood what I was saying. Please take a look at the context of what I said, or maybe you just misread it. To be clear, I am in no way defending it, I have never defended the decision, it is a stupid decision by Apple purely to get more money from their customers. There is no reason other than greed.

19. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

By your logic, they shouldn’t bundle headphones with the phone or even a charger entirely, just sell them separately. Heck, charge a fee for the sim removal tool, just because they can. Hell, stop spending all that money on that energy conservation stuff and becoming carbon neutral. All of these are profit maximizing too.

Just because a company can get away with it, doesn’t mean they need to. There’s something to be said about customer satisfaction and consumer perception, and that’s something Apple used to value once upon a time. Your argument about maximizing profit is silly... this is just bean-counter thinking and while it’s true that Apple should care about profit, I think they don’t realize the potential harm this kind of behaviour may cause them in the long term with regards to consumer sentiment.

People don’t like to feel they’re being ripped off or being gouged. There should be a balance between profit seeking and customer satisfaction and I sometimes feel Tim Cook’s Apple leans too much on one side. (examples like reducing SSD storage sizes on fusion drives, completely nonsensical storage options on their iPhones, not bundling adapters for their new laptops etc.)

Steve Jobs understood this. Tim Cook doesn’t.

20. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

This would actually make sense if the iPhone 8 and iPhone X had a USB-C socket. Then we could use the same cable to charge a MacBook and an iPhone.

Why are we still using Lightning, Apple? Just to sell us more crappy accessories and dongles?