iPhone X and iPhone 8 Charge to 50% in 30 Minutes With Fast-Charge Feature

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

It took me forever to find where I read it, but it's on the Apple site.

Look at the mophie or belkin charger product page, and it's a footnote. Screenshot attached...

Attached Files:

2. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

"Extra cost for fast charging? Booooo."
    - A lot of Apple fans

"Hey that building ain't gonna pay for itself."
    - Tim Cook probably:p:D

3. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

People will pay the fees. It's absolutely abhorrent and that's why I am not going to buy an iPhone X or 8/8+. All the power to those who want to waste $ on the X at this point in time.

4. modemthug macrumors regular

Who’s talking about wireless charging?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I respect your position I just don’t trust Google. Android has a spotty track record on security and reliability. Google has a spotty track record on censorship and privacy.

It’s also nice to be able to walk into an Apple Store if my device acts up and have it swapped out under warranty straight away. Not waiting 4-6 weeks for a replacement. That alone is worth the premium, not to mention the obsessive security and Apple’s consistent position on privacy.

Full disclosure: I carry two devices usually, a 7+ as my primary and a rooted OnePlus 3T with lots of Google stuff stripped out as my secondary.

5. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

Ahm what are you talking about? The thread is not about wireless chargers.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Their screwed either way with this. If they included the charger and cable in the box people would of lost their minds because the phone came with a usb3 to lightning cable. “Their changing the cable again” “no one can afford the expensive MacBooks with USB-c ports” so either way people would complain.

7. Ruggy macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I'm sure you are right. There are a lot of third-party charges that would do this, and besides anyone with a MacBook, Air or Pro will have one anyway.

8. 33man macrumors regular

2h plus iPhone 7 battery life...

Sooo googleing battery life iPhone

F14E4593-BA40-4FCD-ACD7-D41AF1CFE9C3.png

Might be a bit better. Wait for real test.

9. Ahboyd macrumors member

Ahboyd

Really neat for Apple to embrace Qi standard not proprietary wireless charging. If you think about it, the chance for you to really need wireless fast charg
    I think heavy user won't be tied to their desk. If so, they probably use wired charging which offers faster charging rate. Plus, it could be constantly charged even while you are using it.

For those who think why have to pay more it is because they wanted it and mostly just not happy with Apple's decision.

However, what Apple should have done is to use USB-C standard. Otherwise, you have to carry both.

10. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

I cant believe that there are still so many indoctrinated people on the forums actually defending the malignant price policy of Apple these days. Especially when I see this ostentatious theatre they have built with my goddamn money. They are really beginning to lose my sympathy here.

11. mobilemario macrumors member

Not being able to get a 3rd party usb c to lightning cable doesn’t make sense.

I have 2 macbook usb c chargers but need to spend $$ for the cables that will likely break...

12. jedifaka macrumors regular

jedifaka

Phones so premium, they can't be bothered to include the charger that enables a legitimately convenient feature - one that happens to have been in competing phones out-of-the-box for years.
    It's a little comical if you think about it.

13. TheFluffyDuck macrumors regular

14. Nozuka macrumors 65816

15. ConfluxNZ macrumors newbie

ConfluxNZ

AU$2100 for the top spec iPhone X with AppleCare, and then another AU$100 for the cable and power brick so I can actually use a key feature? Apple are taking the piss.

16. profets macrumors 68040

We have 12.9" iPad Pros with significant sized batteries and still only get a 12W charger in the box. Do you really think they're going to put a 29W USB-C charger in the box of an iPhone when they don't include it with an iPad?

17. dannys1 Suspended

dannys1

$5 is a bit far fetched.

But anyway it's not just that you need the $30 cable and yes you DO need it, you can't use one of the fake knocks offs that are cheap - they're cheap because they don't include the circuitry needed to negotiate the charge rate. So you'll only get 5v 2amp as usual.

And we'll have loads and loads of people trying that.

Also any USB-C charger will work with this, you don't need Apple's - it's the same charging solution as the iPad Pro's.

18. kerr macrumors member

Lightning is great but here is yet another example of why it needs to go.

19. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

As a 2016 MacBook Pro owner, this is awesome. One more reason to buy the X.

20. cashville2400 macrumors member

cashville2400

Every year I look for a reason to return to a iPhone and every year I end up staying with a Note. I also watch the keynote every year, it is getting harder and harder.
    I don't mind paying a premium for more but this is not more. It is getting bad when my daughter and wife are starting to roll their eyes. The 8 and the X will be good phones but not for those prices. I love Apple products but I will not becoming back for either of these phones.

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Funny thing is, it would've been better if Apple didn't mention fast charging at all. Then if someone discovered faster charging with their MacBook charger, it would've been like a "surprise" feature. Instead it's all "Samsung puts this in the box?! Proof Apple is doomed!1" type of whining.

22. rjpv macrumors newbie

Quite interesting to read concerns about the new phones not coming with the wireless charger. As someone else already mentioned, this is an extra accessory for pretty much every single other brand of phones. All of them, including these new beauties from Apple, come with regular wired chargers. Wireless charging even though is a great feature, it is also optional and therefore, you have to find the money to pay for it.
    There is no other cable needed as well. Your old USB to lighting cable will work just as the brand new coming in the phone box.
    Anyway, for those looking for Qi chargers, you can find them as cheap as US$15. You don't have to buy the brands that Apple tells you or show on screen. It is your choice and your money.

23. Olganech macrumors regular

These features have been around for years on other platforms.

24. Olganech macrumors regular

How much will Apple charge for a $20 charging mat?

25. rafark macrumors member

rafark

Let me get this straight, after paying 1200$ for the iPhone X, I'll also need to buy an external wireless charger? So the phone charges wirelessly but you can't out of the box? How's that for a 1200USD device to not include the charger for one of it's major features?! What logic is that?