iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus to Feature 3GB RAM, iPhone 8 to Have 2GB

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Details about the unreleased iPhones Apple will announce on Tuesday continue to trickle out from the iOS 11 golden master that was leaked on Friday, and the latest information, sourced from developer Steve Troughton-Smith, confirms the RAM we can expect to see in the three devices.

The upcoming 5.8-inch OLED iPhone X and the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus will both offer 3GB RAM while the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 will include 2GB RAM.

[​IMG]
    iPhone X dummy model (in center) compared to iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus​

That's in line with rumors about the three devices sourced from reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who previously suggested the two larger devices would have 3GB RAM while the smaller 4.7-inch iPhone would continue to offer 2GB RAM.

Kuo also said the DRAM transfer speed in the three new models would be faster than the iPhone 7 by 10 to 15 percent to enable better AR performance, but that has not yet been confirmed.

Currently, the iPhone 7 Plus has 3GB RAM while the iPhone 7 has 2GB RAM, with the 7 Plus featuring more RAM to support the dual-lens camera. Both the iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X will feature dual-lens cameras, with the iPhone X offering a new vertical camera arrangement.

Apple is planning to announce three iPhones at its September 12 event, with names for the device confirmed earlier this weekend. The high-end 5.8-inch device with an OLED display will be called the "iPhone X," while the two other 4.7 and 5.5-inch devices with standard LCD displays and designs similar to the existing iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be called the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 8 Plus, respectively.

Many other details about the iPhone X surfaced this weekend in the iOS 11 GM, including information on Face ID setup, Apple Pay with Face ID, Animoji, the split status bar, the A11 processor, and the design and size of the device.

Article Link: iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus to Feature 3GB RAM, iPhone 8 to Have 2GB

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

just enough so that it'll slow down by the time iOS 12 is out

3. Sunny1990, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

IMG_0335.PNG
    With 3 GB of Ram iPhone X can still outperform All Android Device.

4. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

5. SoApple macrumors regular

Apple’s never had a problem with ram. Their phones outperform every single android phone. See note 7 vs iphone 7+ And every other comparison video.
    I read that snapdragon is just now catching up to apple A9 chip in single processing power. Not worried.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2017 ---
    The note 8 has 6gb of ram. I’m willing to bet that the new generation iphones will outperform it.

6. sza macrumors 6502

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Wait? did they mean to say iPhone 8/iPhone 8+/iPhone X?

8. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Next years "S" model of the iPhone X will have 4GBs of RAM.

9. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Another score for Ming-Chi Kuo.

The question is what speed is this memory? LPDDR4E?

10. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I think 2 gigs is plenty for a smartphone.

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

IPhone X-S (“Excess”) :p

4gb really should’ve happened on this year’s iPhone X imo

No reason it couldn’t have, aside from to save $3 on that extra gig per unit

(Inb4: but $3 x millions and millions... yea yea, or its not $3 more like $7, etc)

12. Skeith macrumors newbie

Surprise factor during event: 0

I am so spoiled now :(

13. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

They weren’t going to announce the amount of ram at the event anyways,

This is always something we gotta find out for ourselves/Geekbench

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

I always wondered who they were targeting with the old “faster..Faster...FASTER” campaigns for the Pentium CPUs. I mean, tons of unnecessary overhead would sure be stupid to buy.

15. omglolbbq, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

omglolbbq macrumors newbie

omglolbbq

That's because Java (which is at the core of Android) has crap memory management compared to iOS. iPhones don't need 6GB of RAM as the OS is significantly more optimised both in its design and because Apple also develop the hardware.

16. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I guess the price is the only real surprise left.

17. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Why are the forums filled with people yelling (off topic to discussion):

“Apples keynote is over”

“It’s spoiled now, no point”

“Tim failed at doubling down, he needs to be out”

Yet you all fail to mention that Apple probably intentionally leaked to bring up press prior to the event, which I’m sure will have more in store.

18. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Right o_O

Apple desperately wants to spoil their own surprise. And because MacRumors, 9to5Mac, and Troughton-Smith do a better job than Apple + Tim Cook + Steve Jobs Theater at unveiling new information.

19. macduke Suspended

macduke

The iPhone 5, 5S and 6 had 1GB of RAM. I was really feeling it in the 6 Plus all the time. Hopefully iPhone 8 users get by ok without it. I haven't really felt it in my iPhone 7 yet so I think they're at a better place in the cycle with 2GB now than they were in the cycle with 1GB three years ago.

That being said, it just feels kinda stingy to leave it out on one model. Maybe the battery life it isn't worth it? The iPhone X is slightly bigger and is supposed to have a newer design internally with a stacked logic board and "L" shaped battery to offer higher capacity. I'll be really interested to see battery life figures for this new model since we know nearly everything else.

20. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Samsung user: "dude, you got 2gb ram? That's a lot man!"

Apple user: "isnt it beast?"

Samsung user: "yeah..it's a beast. Unfortunately i have 6gb ram on my note 8. It sucks!"

Coming soon to the nearest theater...the sequel of "dude, where's my car?"
    ....new movie "dude, where's my rams?"

21. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

The technical explanation is obvious: $

(Not battery life)

22. rafark macrumors 6502

rafark

This is it, I won't use the Internet until tomorrow.

23. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Apple isn't in the spec race if that wasn't already made pretty obvious. They will however beat you most of the time via optimization of their own hardware.

24. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

To be fair the events never reveal RAM specs.

25. jamesrick80, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

You would think the iPhone X would have been given at least 4 GB ram to deserve it's name which is the iPhone X. Isn't it running this newly introduced face 3D detection with some AR capabilities? The ram should have been increased for these reasons alone.

I'm betting the iPhone 8 Plus will be the fastest performer when benchmarks are done and will hold more in it's memory since it doesn't have to do any face detection or push the extra pixels/resolution that the iPhone X will run (for those performance and touch ID enthusiast this is the go to model). The more ram the better in my opinion especially for the added iOS software features too.