iPhone X - AT&T activation time

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
Maybe I'm being impatient but how long is the AT&T activation taking everyone? I want to use my new toy but it's hanging on the activation screen going on 20 minutes...

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
took a few times before mine activated..kept saying that activation could not be completed try again later blah blah blah..kept trying and it finally worked..

Reactions: anthonymoody

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
took a few times before mine activated..kept saying that activation could not be completed try again later blah blah blah..kept trying and it finally worked..
I got that message twice on the first screen but then it recognized my phone number and has been on that screen since...

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I had the same issue and called Apple. They just had me power down the phone using one of the volume buttons and the right side button and then when it restarted i was back at the beginning of the setup process and it went fine from there.

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
I don't even get a "try again" message, it's been spinning for about 30 minutes. I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one.

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
Glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem. I was also stuck on the "Confirm your phone number" page and restarted my phone. Now I'm back to square one, "could not activate iphone." Sigh.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Can't get mine activated either. Never had this problem and always have gotten phones on launch day. Kinda frustrating, but hopefully the servers will get less bogged down in time

ck713

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I've been trying to activate mine for 20mins ... talked to AT&T and they said their side is fine and that it is an apple server issue?

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
I put the old SIM card into the new phone then try to activate. After a few tries it went through but I noticed I don't have cellular service. The cell setting is on but I can't make calls and no cellular network in "about". Tried putting in the new sim that comes with the box and immediately it's connected to at&t. All working fine now for me.

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
Finally through, i restarted the phone, got one screen further, had to "try again" a handful of times but now am activated.

Reactions: apec

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002
I got that message twice on the first screen but then it recognized my phone number and has been on that screen since...
I don't even get a "try again" message, it's been spinning for about 30 minutes. I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I put the old SIM card into the new phone then try to activate. After a few tries it went through but I noticed I don't have cellular service. The cell setting is on but I can't make calls and no cellular network in "about". Tried putting in the new sim that comes with the box and immediately it's connected to at&t. All working fine now for me.
I called Apple. As another person posted, they had me shut down (hold the large button right side, then swipe to shut down) and restart (hold large button right side). It still didn't work. Told me to call AT&T, which I did. They confirmed their servers are slammed but gave me the automated activation phone number. I called it, system said it was activated (!) But still no joy on the phone itself.

I swapped SIMs with my prior phone...still no joy.

Connected to iTunes and after having to restart the process several times owed to errors (guessing servers getting slammed) I was FINALLY able to get it going - in fact it update to 11.1 and restored from an iOS 11.1 back up in one shot.

Reactions: David R

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL
Oh well. I'm not going to fight the crowds and stress out. I'm going to go on with my day and I'll try again when I get back home. The issue should be fixed by then, I hope.

ck713

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
ok i had to reboot phone several times and connect and disconnect from iTunes a dozen times but it finally went through and i'm updating to 11.1 right now

Icecoldak

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Cannot remember, have not got my X yet as its on the truck----but does it come with a SIM card and we just use that or do I take the one out of my 7 and use?