Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckhris1613

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
You have priced yourself out of the market with a mediocre updated phone. Not everyone can afford or want to spend 1,000 on a phone.

Reactions: Woyzeck

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I'm doing my part for availability by waiting until next year to see if the rumored 6.1" LCD screen device for around $700 is true. I don't need an AMOLED screen for my typical use. A replacement for the iPhone 8 will suit my needs just fine if they can do the same small bezel design as the X utilizing cheaper display technology. Heck, I'd even be happy with a small (3/8" or so) bezel at the top to hold the camera and the display light since you need something full-width on an LCD screen.

Reactions: WannaGoMac

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You have priced yourself out of the market with a mediocre updated phone. Not everyone can afford or want to spend 1,000 on a phone.

And that's fine. And is why there are other choices for people who can not afford an iPhone X.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
Just a thought I had while reading the thread. The iPhone 7+ was sold out through December. I ordered my 7+ in September and got a December ship date. And that date never improved, and the 7+ was no where to be found in stores. I would check daily. As soon as a few arrived, they sold right out. The demand seems different for the X.

I would like to believe that apple really did improve the yield and this is why the availablility of the X has improved.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I’ve tracked availability for 20 days straight.

There is improved stock at Apple Stores at the beginning of each day, but ALL OF IT is gone by the end of each day and has been the case for the last 20 days I checked.

I will post results later tonight when stores close.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Who still thinks that demand is high?
I do. Have you tracked Apple Store stock every day? Every day, they are sold out at the end of the day across the US according to istocknow.

Again, availability is CRITICAL. A massive shortag would be devastating for Apple.

Apple has gotten even better at ramping production so comparisons from prior years are not 100% relevant. This launch was also staggered and I believe the had a lot of X stock prior to launch day. Most of the production issues have proven to be fake news.

See you in January and you can explain how they put up over $90B in sales without a gang busters iPhone X launch.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I’ve tracked availability for 20 days straight.

There is improved stock at Apple Stores at the beginning of each day, but ALL OF IT is gone by the end of each day and has been the case for the last 20 days I checked.

I will post results later tonight when stores close.

Not necessarily. I have watched availability of the iPhone X 256GB sit at a local Apple Store for 3 days and they just sold out today. Things are getting better.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Not necessarily. I have watched availability of the iPhone X 256GB sit at a local Apple Store for 3 days and they just sold out today. Things are getting better.
You sure you weren’t watching the stock get refreshed every morning? Again, I’ve tracked it daily. According to istocknow, there has been 0 stock of any iPhone X at any Apple retail store the last 20 days. They get new stock in the morning and it’s gone by close of business.

I have screenshots of all 20 days at 8am and 9pm. Green to red.

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
I have no problems with the notch. I think people are looking for a reason with that one. It fades into the background.

The camera is great (amazing low light performance). The size is perfect. The speakerphone and earpiece sound much better (why doesn't anyone review actual phone performance anymore?). The screen response is fast. Fit and finish are flawless. iOS is getting a little old looking but overall, it's a really, really well done device. $1k nice? Probably not, but Apple knows what the market will bear. Plus, some of the Android flagships and other iPhone models aren't too far behind. I have to believe if Samsung thought they could get a +$1k selling price on one of their phones, they'd be doing it in a heartbeat.

For me after 2 weeks of use, my only beef is with FaceID. Lately - it hasn't been unlocking right away and seems to be misfiring more. Did I get uglier?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like anyone who wants an X will have few if any issues obtaining one sooner than some expected and that of course is a good thing for Apple during the holidays.

Reactions: BallerBear

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
GOOD NEWS! I have REAL data.

As of 8:15pm ET, Apple Retail stores are COMPLETELY sold out in the US besides stores in California, where it is currently only 5:15PM. Those will be gone later tonight, as usual. This is according the istocknow, so please start punching holes in the quality of the data.

Any questions?

Reactions: szabogabor10

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Over the past month or so I've been checking on nearly a daily basis, and this past Friday at the beginning of the holiday weekend, I saw availability in Apple stores all around my area, and thought, "aha!" I wasn't about to fight the crowds on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, so today checked again and was more than pleasantly surprised to see that there was STILL availability! I went over to the store and spent some time checking out an iPhone X, running it through its paces, and then made the decision to go ahead and get one. I had not reserved one, but it was not a big deal for that to be handled in the store, someone brought out the box and a while later an Apple employee and I set up my new iPhone X and I was good to go!

Last year I waited and waited and waited for a Jet-Black 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus to become available, and it wasn't until early December when I could finally get my hands on one. I was really surprised at how things went this year, and I also was surprised at the speed of the setting-up process, which is much faster than in the past. A happy camper, here!

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
GOOD NEWS! I have REAL data.

As of 8:15pm ET, Apple Retail stores are COMPLETELY sold out in the US besides stores in California, where it is currently only 5:15PM. Those will be gone later tonight, as usual. This is according the istocknow, so please start punching holes in the quality of the data.

Any questions?

I’m glad you saved me from typing because I’ve been assisting a friend try to secure a X and in the Bay Area California - there are NONE to be found daily

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
all the people complaining about the notch will be buying the x plus next year and will sweep their notch complaints under the rug, hoping no one remembers them.

probably the same people that complained with apple did away with the cd drive.

Reactions: TTTedP and Ankaa

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder if people get on BMW's site and complain about the price?
If you don't like the price of something buy something else, what is complaining going to do?
I love my 8+ and will be getting the X at some point. :)

They probably would complain if BMW raised its prices to match Rolls Royce.

Reactions: xmonkey

PBRsg

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
Well considering what else exists for the money and in many cases, for much less money, the iPhone X is a Ford family sedan with a cracked windsheild at the Price of a BMW.

The A11 SoC blows everything else out of the water. That comparison with a Ford family sedan is totally dishonest.
[doublepost=1511838262][/doublepost]
So what exactly is high end about it that would make it cost more than any other device. :apple:

The A11 SoC.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
NOPE and I am siding into this. The X has the same A11 SoC as the 8 and 8 plus.

8 vs. X: for example camera

The 8 Plus isn't really that far off from the X in terms of price. But, the X also has: OLED (looked at TVs lately? They're more expensive) and FaceID. For some people, that's worth the premium. Maybe not for you, which is fine, but for others it is.

Reactions: szabogabor10

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
8 vs. X: for example camera

The 8 Plus isn't really that far off from the X in terms of price. But, the X also has: OLED (looked at TVs lately? They're more expensive) and FaceID. For some people, that's worth the premium. Maybe not for you, which is fine, but for others it is.

Ah yes an mobile OLED display that you cannot watch 4K iTunes content on vs an OLED tv that you can. Granted it is HDR though.

Face ID is not something I would consider as premium not much as that is where the industry is going and Samsung has had its Iris Scanner for year which is know is different.

I didn’t come here to argue or debate I just saw the thing about the A11. Anywho in 2 months folks will be taking about the iPhone 11.

Personally I buy a device with the understanding that it’s already old because there is something new coming around the corner. So many folks keep chasing the next new thing it’s really sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.