iPhone X Charging Speeds Compared: The Fastest and Easiest Ways to Charge Your iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

The point is that it is no more convenient to put your phone on a special pad than it is to plug it in. I never implied that you said that they don't support wired charging, you clearly don't live under a rock, you inferred that I did (please think before you post). The point is they already have charging available and wireless is no more convenient; and yes they are dangling on tables.

No I don't see many cafes having charging pads on their tables for quite some time, it would be quite an expense, although I'm happy to be proved wrong on this. I would think that most people do the majority of their charging at home or at work, where a charging pad is no more convenient than plugging it in; and frankly I would for one would much prefer better battery life and not having to worry about faux conveniences like desperately needing to charge my phone up in a cafe.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

The idea of putting my phone on a public wireless charging pad where... thousands of other people have put their phones ..... yeah, not happening. I've seen starbucks in Riverside and Los Angeles (California) with wireless charging pads - even malls have some benches with them too. I'd never use them - maybe if I put a napkin between the phone and the table/bench. :p

I do have a wireless charging pad next to my bed and one at work. Phone stays charged all day, all night and is 100% ready to go whenever I go out from these two locations.

3. 6803390 Suspended

My response was crystal clear and made valid points, which you did not argue with or did you? I like you how you pick and chose my comments and respond to that - which is worse telling a lie or telling half truths? Same applies. In regards to whether you implied or not, it’s matter of interpretation on how you said, eh? Please think before you respond.

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

How about they just ship a decent charger, reflective of the eye-watering price...

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

iPad charger continues to be the best option. Nothing new here.

6. Phinman, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

Phinman macrumors newbie

Great article. Can anyone comment on the output that should be expected when the iPhone X is plugged into the USB-C port on a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar? From the specs on the Mac, it appears it should support 15W charging if you have 2 or less devices connected via a USB-C to Lightning cable. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

7. uhmandanicole macrumors newbie

Yes! I was literally scrolling through the comments trying to find someone else who had noticed this. Phew!

8. lordofthereef, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Agree to disagree. Not having to fumble and/or carry around said pad (in the case of a built in) IS more convenient. Not having a cable, but rather a dedicated pad sitting on a desk IS more convenient. Not dealing wit cable wear and tear IS more convenient. Not dealing with plugging in the cable in low-light situations IS more convenient. There are a slew of examples that people in this very thread are stating make wireless charging situationally better. I can respect that you don't agree with them, but that doesn't change the fact that people find it a better option. I'll make yet another analog to Apple Pay; people were literally making this same claim when it first rolled out. "It is just as convenient for me to pull out my card". That's really great, and you still have the option to do that. Likewise, you have the option to keep a cable with you and never deal with a charging pad.

Pads can be bought for $10. Obviously, in the case of the cafe, this would be built in, and wouldn't be a simple $10 upgrade, but the expense isn't "huge", particularly where a remodel is already being planned. Coffee bean and tea leaf already tried it, as did I think starbucks. They just lacked the ubiquity that Apple brings to the table. Similarly we have had Android contactless payments for how long? Nobody cared until Apple hopped on board. Now, everywhere I see Apple Pay I also see Android Pay (and sometimes even Samsung pay) listed. I bet Apple achieves this with the Qi standard.

The reason cafes are attractive is, for whatever reason, people come there to do actual work. Ever been to a college town/city? A big city in general? Hospitals? Places are packed with wires plugged in every place they are available. How about airports? People are constantly tethered to the wall.

There isn;t as much money here, by any stretch of the imagination, as there is with contactless payment. I am not under any dilusions there. I simply mean to point out the power Apple has in moving adoption forward. Do I expect to walk into any cafe or restatuant within three years and have a built in charging pad? Not at all. I am betting bigger chains in specific markets will start rolling it out again. In many of these places the product isn't necessarily what the place is selling, it's the atmosphere. People just happen to buy/like the product as well.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

For me I will use my 29w charger when I know i badly need it soon and want a quick charge. At night I will always use the wireless charger. No need not to when you will sleep for 6-8 hours.

10. kendals macrumors newbie

I got this from RAVPower Support

===========================
    Dear valued customer

Thank you for contacting with us.

The current setting in iPhone is different with other phones. Whether your iPhone is being standard charged, fast charged, or fully charged, the LED will stay orange and NOT turn green as iPhones do not send any signal to the wireless charger as other Qi-Enabled Phones do. But do not need to worry about it. 7.5W wireless charging for iPhone X / 8 Plus / 8 is enabled in the latest iOS 11.2 update - faster than traditional 3.5W-5W wireless chargers.

If your phone still cannot be fast charged, please inform us the charging time of charging from 0-100%? And what is the working indoor temperature.

The led indicator continues to blink orange, please understand that when you phone reaches 100% charged, our wireless charger will detect it and turns to trickle charge mode. And there is power consumption even your phone is on standby so our wireless charger will continue to charge it but in very low current. Our wireless charger and your phone is with over-charged function to prevent your phone being damaged. Please do not worry about it.

Thank you for your understanding and hope you will like our product. If we confirm there is any problem with your item, we will give you a good solution.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Amber

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Yeah anyone who has observed charging rates on phones and batteries - anything past 85% - 90% gets a much slower trickle charge to help with battery longevity. Plug your iPhone into your Mac at 90% and see it only charge at 2 watts and at 99% at .30 watts. That’s why a lot of these tests stop at 80% or so. Also why it can take 30 mins to get a true full charge after hitting 100%.

12. dadiy macrumors member

dadiy

Did you tell them what model you had? The RP-PC014 only does green LED on when charging and off when no phone on pad.

13. PastaPrimav macrumors regular

Yeah, there is some really absurd "logic" that always come out from the vocal minority any time charging is discussed.

The idea here is to make a product that lasts all day and doesn't need to be charged "quickly". They already did this with the 7 Plus, and that has carried over to the iPhone X and iPhone 8 Plus.

Most people are going to charge their phone once per day, overnight, and don't care how long it takes to charge. I say with certainty that if you have to frequently charge one of the modern iPhones during the day, there is either something wrong with your phone, or your usage needs curbing. Either way, it's not normal. And there is no reason or need for Apple to "do anything about" it. No, they don't need to include expensive fast charging accessories for free...accessories which also put undo strain on the device.

I'm extremely happy with the convenience of Qi charging so far.
    1. Chargers come in all shapes and sizes and price points, most very inexpensive.
    2. They get the job done without any fiddling for a cord.
    3. You can integrate them into your life so that when you're putting your phone down, you're putting it on a charger instead of nothing.

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

1% different between 5watt wired & wireless. 60, 45 and 30mins.

15. DeSlaye macrumors newbie

16. biliblisama, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

biliblisama macrumors newbie

biliblisama

iPhone's wireless charging mode is different from Samsung

17. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Thanks that's more or less exactly what I was looking for. So it should perform almost as good as the fast charger hopefully (not quite but better than the ipad one)

18. kjpmi macrumors newbie

kjpmi

No. The main variable is the charger used which should be on the X axis. Use your brains everyone for just a minute and think how unintuitive these graphs would look with time on the x. The percentage line would be vertical and move to the left when it charges slower and the right when faster. That would make it seem on first glance that it took longer when it actually took less time.

19. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Just bought an XPower XP-DC4PD with 3 USB-A ports and 1 USB-C Ports. The USB-C Ports supports USB 3.1 PD (Power Delivery) and therefore supports fast charge on iPhone 8/X and iPad Pros. One of the USB-A ports supports QuickCharge 3.0 for Android devices and the rest are normal 5V/2.4A ports. Using the USB-C port to charge my iPhone X from 64%, basically the power meter move 1% every minute. In 12 minutes, it charged from 64% to 77%.

I have to search specifically for USB-PD support on the wall full of similar chargers, and there were only 3 out of 20-30 chargers that supports USB-PD. Others are all Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0, 3.0. The market is really a mess now and we must carefully choose a suitable charger.

The charger is of very good build quality with a very attractive price tag HKD358 (~USD46), from the computer mall in Sham Shui Po in Hong Kong.

Here is the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xpower-DC4PD-Desktop-Quick-Charger/dp/B074GYTMXF

20. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

Not sure why you are so averse to charging pads. Thousands of people have used your hotel room too, so do you avoid sleeping in the beds?

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

They wash the charging pads as well as an industrial washer washes the bed-sheets?

http://time.com/4908654/cell-phone-bacteria/
    http://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/290652/your-mobile-phone-is-dirtier-than-you-think

Now, imagine someone putting their cellphone down on this charging pad. If you place your phone there, you will pick up those germs.

I wouldn't sleep in a hotel room bed that has been slept in before without being first cleaned - so that analogy doesn't quite work imo because the sheets are cleaned after every use.

Speaking of hotel bed, the sheets are cleaned after every use. So my statement - I'd be ok with using a charging pad if I put down a napkin or something in-between. But nothing in-between the phone and the charging pad is like sleeping in a bed that a stranger has slept in but has not been washed.

And not adverse to charging pads - I've got 4 of them (1 at work, 3 at my house). I just wouldn't use a public charging pad. Have you seen the ones at Starbucks and the malls? They're filthy.

22. Bladery macrumors 6502

Hey Juli,

Are there any new information about the comparison?

23. saile, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017

saile macrumors member

Really damage, for the price of the iphone, these fast chargers are not included. An iPhone X with a quick charger and cable usb-c + a pair of airpod wireless in the box would have made sense for the excessive price of the iPhone X.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    galaxy note 8 prix galaxy s7 prix

24. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

to be honest, i think you are being overly germophobic and dramatic. i've never heard of anyone getting deathly ill from using someone's public phone charger. what about door handles? bathroom faucets? you must be running from "bacteria" all day long...

25. michalpfeil macrumors newbie

michalpfeil

Love comparisons like this. Great stuff. Tried it myself but came up well short of your numbers. At 15 minute intervals on a 12W charger I got 1%-18-33-47-61 compared to your results of 1-21-39-56-72. Pretty big difference. After some trial and error came to conclusion that using the Apple iPhone dock causes the significant slow down even with the 12W charger as compared to plugging the lightning cable straight into the phone. Not sure why but tried it many times with different docks and same result so if you want max charging with the 12W charger don't use the Apple iPhone dock. Unfortunate but still better than using the 5W charger.