iPhone X Charging Speeds Compared: The Fastest and Easiest Ways to Charge Your iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2017.

1. freakz macrumors newbie

freakz

Do I have to expect any damage on my device if I use my 61 watts power adapter (from my macbook) with my iPhone X ?

2. Nam3less macrumors newbie

I think if you would charge a lot and also the battery heats up a lot then yes it would effect the battery life. My old phone was Samsung S6 and i was charging at least 3-4 times a day on fast charge in last few months as battery was terrible on it and last week the processor was gone. No warning signs or anything. Showed to Samsung and some repair shops all said the motherboard went bust.

With iphone 8 which i have now, at least the phone is guaranteed to work almost a day and at most u may be charging thrice in 2 day period? Maybe?

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Great chart!

4. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The good news is once the adapter becomes available, you'll be able to super-fast charge an iPhone 8 / X from 0% to 100% in 12.8 seconds at any Tesla Supercharger.

5. PeterJay macrumors newbie

PeterJay

They ship it with the physically smallest charger, which is absolutely fine for overnight (as most people use it). (Though I'd prefer the one shipped with the Apple Watch, where the prongs retract)

6. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Most fast chargers aren't much bigger, so that's not an excuse.

7. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I use only one. Don't get the fascination of charging the phone super quick. I place id on my charging pad late on the evening when heading to bed and it still have at least 35% remaining battery and pick it up in the morning fully charged. If I travel long distances (abroad) I take the charging brick with me as a back up.

8. toke lahti macrumors 68020

I'd argue that fast charging shortens battery's lifespan even if does not heat it up (perceived externally).

9. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

I really feel bad for people who still use iPhone's bundled charger..I mean 5W is just pathetic there is ZERO reason one should use that vs iPad charger..it's a big shame and frankly anti-consumer of Apple still bundling that inside iPhone box..the iPad charger is MUCH more appropriate and charges the iPhone twice as fast..

I can't remember the last time I used an iPhone's bundled charger,I don't even take them out of box.

It's bizarre that Apple themselves market and sell the "iPad" charger as compatible iPhone charger, yet they even refuse to provide customers with such basic peripheral that can make life so much easier instead of the ancient, snail charger they pack in..

sometime I really feel and sad and frustrated about things Apple does. :(
    It's good that there is tough competition from Samsung and others, otherwise Apple was probablystill selling iPhone 5 series form factor with slight speed bump :confused:

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

And people will still nit pick .something seconds

11. Roller macrumors 68020

Thanks for the sentiment, but I'm OK using the bundled charger overnight. If I have to top up the phone during the day I connect it to my Mac or use my car charger. I can see where some people need a faster charging method, but I suspect that most don't.

12. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

My One Plus 5 charges to 80% in 20 minutes, so while iPhone X has a slew of various charging methods, it seems to be one of the slower charging phones on the market.

Just saying that Apple should be much further ahead of the pack on all feature categories, including charging speed; when an upstart Chinese company can deliver better charging technology then a company worth near 1 trillion there is something wrong there.

If Apple wants the more then $900 CDN extra it would cost me to go from my One Plus 5 to iPhone X, it better lead in ALL categories.

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed. That and I have three fast Anker chargers throughout my house and workplace. I even have several iPad chargers. So it doesn’t bother me much. Hit Amazon for Anker’s 2 port 24 watt $11 charger. Charges almost as fast as Apples $79 fast charging and has two ports.

14. dadiy macrumors member

dadiy

I have a USB power meter and it measures 6w peak when charging iPhone X with 11.2, it tends to bounce around so I'd guess the average is probably nearer 5w still. Which is a shame as I bought several specifically for faster charging instead of the ebay chargers which are £3
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2017 ---

I have the Ravpower RP-PC014 and it doesnt appear to fast charge, peak power when tested was 6w.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Is this wireless fast charge? The chart doesn't indicate. I imagine not, because I wasn't getting anything near that charge rate on the X wirelessly.

I still use wirless almost exclusively, mind you, for the convenience alone. Keeping the phone constantly topped off on my desk and having an easy spot to set down on my nightstand is a boon. But It takes a couple hours to charge the phone from single digits when I tested.

16. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

You prefer to do things the hard way.I guess some people dislike convinience.
    you wouldn’t lose anything if the charger they supplied in you phone box was the better,faster one regardless.only you would appreciate the better tech.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I see your point. And to an extent I agree with it. However, the 5w included charger is INCREDIBLY convenient when charging at airports and colleges and crowded places. No way I could fit an iPad charger anywhere in those places. All these rapid chargers are huge - the 5w adapter is perfect for travel. --- Disclaimer: I traveled more this year for work than in my entire life combined.

Charging overnight was perfect because my 8+ easily holds its charge for more than a day with my usage.

But yeah, for a $1080+ phone, I'd have really appreciated a faster charger - but I already have 4+ of those around the house/work. So really, I don't really care - I much prefer my multi-ported Anker chargers than a 1 port iPad charger. On top of that, Apple will probably charge $30+ for the rapid charger. My $11 Anker (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Port...&qid=1512575919&sr=8-9&keywords=anker+charger) charges almost just as fast.

I dunno if I'd go so far as to say it's the HARD way. Imo, charging overnight with the 5w brick is the easy way. But that works for people like me who are light to medium users who end the day with easily tons of charge left.

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Question - what about mixing a USB-C charger with a wireless charging pad? Right now my wireless charging pad is plugged into an iPad charger. Seems faster than when plugged into my iPhone charger (though I haven't measured). Seems like the parallel should be that the faster USB-C charger would provide a further bump. Or, is the wireless charger the limiting factor at that point i.e. it's already maxed out with the iPad charger?

19. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

@anthonymoody I believe the max output of the wireless is 7.5 regardless of what it is connected to.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Gotcha. Makes sense. I wonder when the next meaningful jump will occur, to say 10 or 15, and whether the iPhone X is built to accept that speed wirelessly.

21. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

This are the kind of articles that make me proud of being member of this community. As others said, kudos to the author.

22. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

Axis should be flipped: time horizontal, charge on vertical, one line per charger.

23. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

Very useful information.

To me it means, buy whatever Qi charger is best for you. I've purchased 4 Qi chargers for the price of one Belkin Boost Up and they work just fine.

According to this chart, I'm not missing anything that's worth 4x the cost.

24. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Thus basically USB-C charging is the fastest.

Major rapid charging improvements are required in the future iPhone devices for both wired and wireless is. Hoping 2018 iPhones have a significant 40% faster wireless and wired charging!!

PS: when will Apple apply USB-C data speeds for Lightning Cables and ports in iPhones, iPads?!

25. ACST Suspended

Weird conclusion given that at least 80% of the people owning an iPhone only charge it at night and don't care if it charges 50% faster. It's also better for the battery because it generates less heat for the battery.