Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenlee

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
So same battery size as a plus but lasts less than a plus

syew3sp0_o.gif

Reactions: EM2013

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
So Apple.
Mean on RAM as always.

Don’t tell me more RAM is no use.
For one, it’s more future-proof.

3GB for iPhone 8 and 4GB for 8 Plus and iPhone X would be much more user friendly.

So fed up with the pricing and meager RAM of Tim Cook.
I doesn’t need it. I cannot understand how the Samsung Army doesn’t get that. Just like the battery, it can be smaller because it’s better designed.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
But you don't get the satisfaction of having spent more than anyone else on a new style phone. Seems like a great buy for the 8plus that it gets the same specs as the new flagship X.

Would be really cool if with this battery Apple ushers in new "two day battery".
What are you talking about two day battery? It lasts less time than the Plus. It has a massive display and much higher pixel density and features that use more power like Face ID.

joiwomcow

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2017
Good idea to skip the 8, in this case. With two phones now at 3GB, the phones with less storage don't have many iOS updates left in them. "Iphone 6 disease" being a case in point.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i will have amazing battery life! alot of my usage is music streaming and just looking at and answering some messages. and reading some news.

well, already have amazing battery life with my iphone 7. but this will be madness.

already had much better battery life with the 7 than the s7. (android uses alot more battery in standby)

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
so X beat 8 plus in any function ??

battery better
display better
design better
privacy better

Wait is fair :D

Greenlee

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
you get more life in the 8, until you drop it and the entire glass body easily shatters.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Previously unconfirmed details about the internal specifications of Apple's iPhone X appear to have been revealed on China's official communications certification board, including the device's system memory, CPU clock speed, and battery capacity.

iphonexcolors-800x573.jpg

First spotted this morning by mobile leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer, the filing with the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology's Telecommunication Equipment Certification Center (TENAA) lists the iPhone X as having a 2,715mAh battery. For reference, the iPhone 8 is believed to have a 1,821mAh capacity battery.

The step up in battery capacity is probably a direct result of the iPhone X's OLED screen, a display technology that despite usually requiring less energy than an equivalent LCD panel, probably draws more overall power because of its 5.8-inch size (iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screens, respectively).

The TENAA listing also gives the A11 Bionic chip a 2.4GHz clock speed and says the handset is backed by 3GB of RAM, two details that are believed to conform with the iPhone 8 Plus.

iPhone X pre-orders officially begin on October 27 and in-store availability is expected on November 3, although rumors suggest the device will be in short supply until early 2018.

Article Link: iPhone X Comes With 2,716mAh Battery and 3GB of RAM
I really wish the battery life could match the 7 Plus. I find it difficult to imagine living with decreased battery life as I’ve gotten so used to the advantages of the Plus.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yup, Steve Jobs produced iPhones with more RAM than any user would ever need--and he priced them so that even the poorest families could have seven phones..... ah, those were the good old days before Cook. I still remember when the first iPhone came out--I got mine at the Everything for a Dollar store :rolleyes:
Yeah that RAM in the 1st gen iPad was legendary. Future proofed that devices for years! :D

Reactions: Wondercow

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I've opted for the black version of every iPhone to date. Never been a question. This has been the first that I'm seriously torn. The silver looks really crisp. Almost white. Stormtroopery. Especially on this device that doesn't offer the white forehead/chin of the standard silver-backed variant. But the black... so Lord Vader. #preordercoinflip
[doublepost=1506427824][/doublepost]
Once you're at $1,000, what's another $200 for a device with 3x the storage?
That said, $1k is ***** crazy. o_O
Exactly their pricing strategy

Reactions: lazyrighteye

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
Yet you have this:
 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus 64G Space Gray
 5.85" iPhone X 64G Space Gray
 10.5" iPad Pro 64G Space Gray
 15.4" MacBook Pro with Retina Display Mid 2014

what other choice do I have then?
I use apple stuff and I love them. That doesn’t mean I can’t express my opinions.
[doublepost=1506434885][/doublepost]
Everything is a trade off in computing. More ram that will likely not be used during the life of the device (sorry you don't want to hear that but its true) also means less battery life, more expensive, and potentially means a thicker phone.

iOS is incredibly good at using memory resources efficiently. 3gb really is plenty.

My previous comment came from my personal experience.
My 3 year old iPhone 6 Plus is incredibly slow right now. It basically can not handle more than 1 app simultaneously.
Actually 1GB memory has never been sufficient for its 1920x1080 resolution. 3 years later, it is just unusable.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
In these small devices, I would be willing to wager the CPU is the bottleneck more than the amount of RAM, once the device is a few years old. Alas, we can only assume though.

To be fair, I don't really care about specs of phones or tablets much any more. I use the device to see if it fits the bill.

Yeah tell that to my 3 year old iPhone 6 Plus which can barely handle 2 apps together. Imagine when it gets updated to the magical iOS 12 next autumn.
[doublepost=1506435357][/doublepost]
More “user friendly”? What does that even mean. The OS is built with this amount in mind. Adding more just to fill out a spec sheet or satisfy some users inferiority complex is a waste of money, space and battery. As for future proofing, so what? They will run great for their 2-3 year life frame. Beyond that, the SoC will be struggling to keep up. RAM will be the least of the issues.
Don't worry so much about a number. Worry about the device in actual usage when determining how “user friendly” a device is.
The SOC will be more than capable to handle what you throw at it. You realize it’s MBP Pro level performance, right? The RAM will be the culprit down the road. Give me a reason why people shouldn’t be able to use their phones for 5-6 years?
[doublepost=1506435502][/doublepost]
This is coming from someone who just had to put iPhone X in their signature already, even though it's not out... and felt the need to specify the size of their iPhone screen...
Why can’t I use apple stuff and offer my suggestions at the same time?
[doublepost=1506435596][/doublepost]
They want to sell you another phone in 2-3 years, not future-proof it.

I’m not happy about it either.

Ditto
[doublepost=1506435748][/doublepost]
Why stop there? Might as well ask for 6 or 8 gb of ram while you are at it. ;)

I was just trying to be realistic.
You keep being self-entertained as you wish.
[doublepost=1506435865][/doublepost]
I doesn’t need it. I cannot understand how the Samsung Army doesn’t get that. Just like the battery, it can be smaller because it’s better designed.

Do not tag other people.
I only use Apple stuff. You can even call me an Apple fanboy, only, a rational one.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Which still makes it smaller than 7 Plus and even 6S Plus. Cool?

Yeah the processor is more efficient, but I don’t understand Apple’s obsession with keeping the battery at the same size or lower.

MrMac2015

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
How do you get a larger battery than the iPhone 8 Plus in a smaller phone?
It must be because the OLED display is thinner. Allowing a thicker battery.

I think they stacked the logic board so it takes up less space now

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
Yup, Steve Jobs produced iPhones with more RAM than any user would ever need--and he priced them so that even the poorest families could have seven phones..... ah, those were the good old days before Cook. I still remember when the first iPhone came out--I got mine at the Everything for a Dollar store :rolleyes:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Still curious why we have iPhone 8 and 10 this year. What will next year’s models be? Will they skip 9 and go straight to 11?

My bet is that there wont be an iPhone 9. They’ll release an 8s next year and then discontinue the Home button form factor entirely the following year with the existing iPhone X price going down in 2 years to a more reasonable $699. The new model (or models) that year will probably go down as well as they master the manufacturing of the 3D array and glass back. An iPhone SE could still exist on the lower end. Perhaps an iPhone 8.

ipokeyou

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Where would it show if bluetooth on? I see the location icon on left by clock but what about bluetooth?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yeah tell that to my 3 year old iPhone 6 Plus which can barely handle 2 apps together. Imagine when it gets updated to the magical iOS 12 next autumn.
How do you know this is a RAM limitation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.