iPhone X iPhone X Complaint/Things We Don't Like Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Nov 3, 2017.

1. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

The speakers and sound quality. Truly horrific on the X. It’s loud but there is no depth to the sound and it cracks at higher than 80% volume.

2. Shazamadoo macrumors member

Shazamadoo

The notch.

When Apple released the iPhone X, I did not think the notch would be an issue at all. First day with the phone, still not an issue.

But the notch is definitely starting to become an eye sore, especially when switching from apps that uses a black backdrop that blends with the notch creating a more uniform screen real estate, to an app that uses a white back drop.

3. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I’m right handed and hold my phone in my left hand. Always have.

4. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It’s certainly a step down from the 8+. The X sound is just less spacious and deep. It’s also more shrill at higher volume levels.

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

They could put the battery % inside the battery icon.

6. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

It’s not just at higher levels even. Half volume sounds bad also... I feel like everything needs to be equalized better. Hopeful for a software fix

7. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I noticed this as well. Animoji s make the phone really hot.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Yes, sometimes when I pickup the phone I wonder why Face ID isn’t working only to find out the phone is Upside down.

8. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

The more I use it, the more i see that much of X is a hack job: the notch, the workaround to view the battery percentage, the chopping off of letter in the predictive typing suggestions. Tons more. I'll list more tomorrow, after a good night's sleep.

9. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I must admit that I fail to see how this is in anything other than looking for a problem that in reality does not exist. For it to be something you don't like when scrolling lists, that would mean that you would have to be 'scrolling' a list only when you get to the very bottom line.

Is that how you read a webpage? From top to bottom and do not scroll until the last line?

10. macher macrumors 65816

macher

You got to admit hardware wise it’s a grand slam. Best speakers on a smart phone. The notch I’ve gotten use too. But with the super premium hardware there seems to be something lacking software wise. The software doesn’t coincide with the premium hardware. Hard to explain. But updates eventually should fix it.

11. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Interesting. I've read plenty of complaints about the speakers - strange, tinny sound... no depth... crackling, etc.

Regarding the hardware vs software thing, as Apple has shown repeatedly over time, the software will catch up... and it will end up being "worth it all" in the end.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

After playing with one and checking it out I have to totally disagree. Grand Slam? Not at all. It was the what I perceived as physical shortcomings that convinced me to skip the X and stick with my 7+. Opinions differ for sure.

14. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Face Id doesn't work when the phone is laying flat on desk and it's at a steep angle from your face. For example, when I'm sitting on my desk at work the phone is to the right of my keyboard. If I tap the screen, face id can't unlock due to the angle.

15. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Right I posted about that laying on the couch and trying to open on an angle.

16. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Hardware wise it’s a grand slam. But something isn’t right. Feels like a premium device hardware wise but the software doesn’t make the experience premium if that makes sense.

Got a week to return it. I’m probably going to return it and keep my 7.

17. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Removal of the “zoom” display setting (the one that disables landscape home screen on the Plus). I used that mode extensively on road trips when mounting my phone on the dash.

18. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I don’t know about you guys, but the screen coating on my X seems a bit “dry” compared to my wife’s 8 Plus.

Swiping on the (physical) screen of the 8 Plus feels more slick than on my X.

It’s not much of a difference but it feels like my fingers “stick” a bit more on my X when swiping.

Does anyone else notice?

19. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

The only issue I have is the angle required for desktop face ID. It seems to be 45 degrees max.

Does Apple publish a spec for this?

20. lookatchu, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

I know exactly what you're saying. The software appears to be unfinished. Hopefully most of it will be addressed in future updates. I first noticed that iOS 11 was a dog on my 7 Plus. On the X it's a bit smoother and faster, but an unfinished offering nevertheless.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 6, 2017 ---
    Yes, I've noticed this as well. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about this just few minutes ago while scrolling in Safari on my X. I still have my 7 Plus (waiting for the return package) and scrolled through the same page and it was muck slicker and smoother on the 7. I thought that maybe it was my imagination or that maybe there was a smudge on the glass, but after I wiped it clean with a microfiber cloth there was no improvement.

Other than my getting used to and liking no home button, the gestures and Face ID, I'm seriously consdering sending the X back and sticking with my 7 Plus or getting an 8 Plus (I like True Tone). Among the many dislikes already stated in this thread, it just feels too small in my hands and there is less usable screen real estate.

I kind of feel duped by Apple, thinking this will be all screen and "no bezels!!11" and at least comparable to my 7 Plus, but ultimately it's my fault for not doing more research and homework. Still, Apple marketed and touted the "bigger, bezel-less" screen and the Apple ball-washers reviewing on YouTube (including iJustine) were giddy over how mind-blowing it was that the X screen measure larger than the 8 Plus. My FIRST reaction if I was giving an honest review, would be how small the screen is and how small it felt in comparison to the Plus models and that a significant portion of the X screen is unusable. No mention about this from most of the more known reviewers. My trust level has suddenly declined.

21. lookatchu, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

As I'm posting, I'm giving it more and more serious thought (have the day off from work to do that!). I'm VERY strongly considering the 8 Plus. I'm thinking, what exactly is the X providing that the 8 Plus doesn't No bezels? Big deal. The X doesn't make good use of "all screen" anyway. Instead it's a joke. The X screen would only be a positive if the screen was closer in size to the Plus models, but it isn't. Face ID? Nice, I suppose, but not as reliable as Touch ID, which rarely rejects my finger(s). The X gives us new gestures that lack intuitiveness and that are forced on us due to the design. The Plus? BETTER, wider, bigger screen, smoother to swipe, and the 8 offers Tone as well (which I like). No home button? Big deal. The way Apple utilizes it on the X is awkward to say the least. And that ridiculous home line?

So what exactly am I losing if I give up the X? To me, it's a cruel joke by Apple. Androids do a far better job with their bezel-less phones. Apple's seems like it was rushed and a hack.

Since the 7 Plus, I've had the "iPhone For Life" deal. Under that program, does anyone know if I can return the X for and 8 Plus?

EDIT: Called the Apple Store and they can do the switch right there and then. I'm thisclose to doing it!

22. MN7119 macrumors regular

Returned mine today and back to my 7 Plus. Could not justify spending almost $1500 (phone+AppleCare+case) for a smaller screen. If apple brings the X Plus I will be the first to order.

23. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

The horrible yellow tint hue issue only looks nice and white balanced when i tint it from lookinh straight its so warm colour

24. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

Good move, IMO. I might return my X for the 8 Plus only because my 7 Plus (128 GB) seemed to become a bit sluggish with iOS 11. Plus I'm on the iPhone for life plan, so I may return my X for the 8 Plus and hopefully they'll come out with an X Plus next year.

That said, if anyone is an iPhone 6 owner, like my wife, the X is an upgrade. Beyond that you may want to consider keeping your phone.

25. jennyp macrumors 6502

Aargh! This thread is driving me crazy. I have an iPhone 7 and I'm due to change it for a new iPhone X this week! But reading through I get the feeling it'll be a step backwards! The notch ... the blue tint ... the battery percentage ... the burn-in !!! Maybe I'll convince the supplier that I can have an 8 plus instead ... Would the 8 Plus be a decent upgrade from the 7 ?