iPhone X Complaint/Things We Don't Like Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Nov 3, 2017.

1. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

8 plus swellgate?

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The aspect ratio is the biggest problem for me.

Native video tends to be tiny, and zoomed full screen videos are heavily cropped.

2.35:1 movies work well, and overall image quality is fantastic.

3. iPhoneXman macrumors newbie

I want to seriously talk with the developer who decided this. I would like to know what went through their head and the thought process that led to this decision. I would then like to dive deeper into their education and past life events in order to ask them why they feel they deserve to continue to work for Apple, after overseeing such a dumbfounding feature.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    This is such a problem for me, I feel rage come about every-time I have to deal with it. I actually get violent in my head toward the moron developers that oversaw this garbage change. If I was Tim Cook, I would have invited them into the office to be promptly fired for making something so turd.

4. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502

Day 5:

1. Hate the notch.
    2. Battery life sucks.
    3. Usable screen space too small.
    4. Camera bump is annoying.
    5. Sound sucks.
    6. Saw a coloured blue bar half way down the right side of the device for a few seconds, then it went away.

5. gaedfly, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

gaedfly macrumors regular

I had to go by the Apple store today so while I was there I checked out the 8 and 8+. I came to the x from a 7+ , which was preceded by a 6s+. The 8 is out, too small for me after a couple of years with + phones. And after just 4 full days with the x the 8+ felt like a brick. I also kept swiping and staring stupidly at the screen waiting for something to happen, that’s how quickly I’ve moved away from the now clunky-seeming home button. The gestures seem native, even the multitasking gesture. Face ID is working perfectly. Side by side the x is so much sleeker. I loved the extended app view on my 7+ and miss that on the x but I like the physical size of the x. I still hate the notch on a white background and wish there were an option to hide the stupid black bar on the bottom but they’re minor annoyances. I thought maybe I’d made a mistake and should have ordered the 8+ but after today I know I would have been upset if I had. The things I like about the x far outweight the things I don’t. I know this is a complaint thread so don’t throw tomatoes at me for sharing my positive view of the x. I think I’ll love it more and more as apps are updated.

6. waigx macrumors member

waigx

Cannot customize the shortcuts in the lock screen. I don't use flashlight that much.

7. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

One more nit pick. I often lay in bed at night with my phone colors inverted and the brightness all the way down so that I can browse the web without burning my eyes out. The OLED display must be a lot brighter than the old ones, because even at the lowest setting, and with the colors inverted, it’s way brighter compared to the other iphones.

Maybe disable True Tone? Mine has no hue.

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

I need that alarm indicator up top...

9. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

For me personally the notch does not bother me but obviously your mileage will vary ;-)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    I am more like that - yes there are differences but for me the things I have gained and were reason to upgrade are making me enjoy my X more each day
    ;-)

10. Ghost916 macrumors newbie

11. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on Day 7 with the iPhone X.

All the issues I've listed on here are still prevalent.

I don't love the iPhone X, and am still unsure if I will keep it. One things are for sure: I hate the notch and the usable screen space is simply not big enough.

And man do I now hate that huge vertical camera bump!

And the OLED screen is not great outside in the day.

12. neil74 macrumors member

neil74

Got my silver 256 now and overall I do really like it but there are certainly some issues that I hope apple iron out.

I actually do not mind the notch but I am a little miffed that apple include it in the screen measurement. The lost space at the bottom (see attached) also needs some work and I still think that a fps on the back (doubling as home button) or a soft home button like th3 s8 would have worked better.

The screenshot (attached) imo looks very odd at the moment...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. mrklaw macrumors 68000

- I want more control over control Center - why can’t I have a settings icon in there? Why do I have app shortcuts but not all of them? Probably more an iOS issue though

- I want to customise the icons on the lock screen

- I want to customise the icons in the ears.

14. csurfr macrumors 6502a

Agree with the lock screen. I don’t feel I need a camera button, and the ability to swipe over to get to the camera. Let me choose one or the other please.

15. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Lol - I didn’t realise they kept the swipe from lock to camera. That’s a bit silly then and I’m going to go back to the swipe like I used to use.

16. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

anyone having problems with faceID unlocking your phone? i will get the unlock icon...the faceID graphic that says i'm verified, and then when i swipe up, it will only go up a short bit and not unlock. and faceID will say i'm verified...continues over and over. i will have to turn off the phone or sometimes restart the phone for it to work again.

here's a poorly lit video about it:

17. neil74 macrumors member

neil74

Force quit apps too! I guess apple does not want us doing that anymore!

18. jennyp macrumors 6502

Face ID works very well - it's an amazing technology - but Touch ID felt more natural for the hand. Most of the time with Touch ID the phone is unlocked before I even look at it. Going from one to the other I find that Touch ID happens more quickly. The only time Face ID is faster is when one app switches to another for authentication, and then all you have to do is keep staring at it. But unlocking is definitely quicker with Touch ID. But maybe some people just like face ID for the sake of it somehow.

Having come from a 7, I feel that the phone is just too tall.

The notch is truly ugly, and just bad design - and from Apple, too. The screen user interface should stop underneath it.

Reaching up to the far right corner to get the control centre is awkward and a possible recipe for RSI. There really should be an iOS update sometime with an alternative to this.

Force-quitting apps is now more cumbersome.

The screen is fine but certainly doesn't wow me, and I'm not looking forward to this "burn-in" (that happens apparently "normally").

Generally this iPhone X is a great phone in many respects, but when I pick up the 7 it feels that little bit more comfortable, and the button more natural for a hand-held device.

The "Face ID over Touch ID for the sake of it" has forced some poor UI decisions.

19. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

When you activate Do Not Disturb there is no little half moon at the top of the display like there used to be with the Iphone 7. It is very easy to forget it is activated and then you wonder why you aren't getting any phone calls.

20. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Read your post rocking my 7. I do have an X but decided to rock my 7 today until I get home from work.

For me Face ID work better than Touch ID, it’s seemless. I thought that it was bold to completely replace Touch ID and I thought it wouldn’t work. Surprisingly like I said it’s more seamless and works better.

Overall the device with the software fantastic. But the 7 is more comfortable for me especially one handed use. I can pretty fly around one handed where with the X is just a little too big for me especially the width. The height is ok cause I use reachability a lot. I’m using an Apple leather case on my X cause it’s pretty thin but it’s not comfortable as my 7. It’s like the 7 was made for my hands. I like to whip my phone out and fly around but with the X I often have to use 2 hands.

21. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

Apple is not taking full advantage of having an OLED screen on the X. Why does the entire screen need to turn on when getting a notification? It should only power on the pixels to show the notification.
    The Galaxy S8 shows a tiny header and then lights up the edges with a custom color, which catches your eye and actually looks pretty neat. Hoping Apple embraces the OLED tech more.

Also FaceID is MUCH slower for me than TouchID. In my half-awake state while lying in bed, I could be staring at my lock screen for over 5 seconds before it recognizes me. I’m guessing this has to do with the distance I’m holding the X from.

22. macher macrumors 65816

macher

From watching and reading reviews Apple had a lot to say in the specs and stuff of the OLED like calibration etc. Lot of reviews say the X OLED is calibrated better than Samsung phones.

23. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I have no issue with the quality of the display. My complaint is Apple underutilizing OLED’s potential benefits.

24. phpmaven, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

What on earth are you going on about? You bring up the task switcher, which in my opinion is one the best features about this phone. So fluid and responsive and intuitive. Way faster than double clicking the home button which was always annoying to me. You hold your fingertip on an app for a less than a second and then flick up to close it. Then you can rapidly flick up on the rest in a few seconds. Love the task switcher and can’t imagine going back to the old way.

The iPhone X is certainly not perfect, but some of the complaints in this thread are just plain silly. But I guess that’s to be expected in a complaints thread.

25. ZipZap macrumors 601

It’s there are really easy. Also to bring up background apps swipe up from the bottom and to the right or left. No need to pause in the middle.