iPhone X Complaint/Things We Don't Like Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Nov 3, 2017.

1. R3k macrumors 6502a

Redid Face ID 3 times, still more often than not I need to hold it 6 inches away from face to get it to work unfortunately. Touch ID was much faster.

Coming from my 7, I enjoy the bigger screen and true tone display though.

2. TM0iPHONEx macrumors newbie

TM0iPHONEx

I don't like the its slower then Touch ID but thats to be expected. Would be redoing my face id again make a difference?

I don't like that when I am half asleep and wanna check my phone, I gotta really wake the hell up and open my eyes lol

3. MikeKlump macrumors member

MikeKlump

I don't like how if Face ID fails it just sits there, I wish you could tap that lock icon to get it to attempt again.

4. STC1709 macrumors 6502

as ive said it probably 3 other threads, when this thing is on the wireless charger and i get a text, ill hear the alert but the screen wont light up so i can glance over at it and read it. If its on the regular charger and text comes through itll light up and i can read it, its really annoying, it has to a software issue with wireless chargers

5. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i don't like the fragility of it. I kept my iphone 4 and 4s without a case and they held up for 4 years. I don't think the X would fare nearly as well. it's a combination of added heft and bigger size (harder to grip)

in terms of hardware issues:
    the 3G series had cracking cases..
    iphone 4 antenna gate
    iphone 4s earpiece and battery drain issues
    iphone 5 scratchgate and home button issue
    iphone 5s anomaly..nothing wrong...
    iphone 6 bendgate
    iphone 6s dust coming under screen...
    iphone 7...nothing wrong
    iphone 8 + X...nothing wrong

this year is two years in a row that iphones are without any major hardware issue... good job hardware team.

6. iosuser macrumors 6502a

My biggest disappointment is the camera auto focus speed, which still needs to hunt back and forth to lock focus. Hasn’t Apple been using phase detection AF since the 6, which Apple had to slap the name “Focus Pixels” on (oh look it auto capitalized Focus Pixels :rolleyes:)? Samsung phones since the galaxy S7 has had near DSLR like focusing speed - it just snaps into focus instantly. I have an S8+ that I carry with me sometimes just to take pictures.

I was hoping to ditch the S8 after buying the X. It is still a beautiful phone but iPhone is obviously my main phone.

7. Superx520 macrumors member

Got the X today. I really want to love this phone but coming from a 7+, the screen is too narrow for me. Screen is beautiful, the Face ID has worked awesome every time, and the lack of a home button is kind of nice once you get use to it.

My wife also has an X on order that is due the first week of December. After about 5 minutes on mine she said to cancel her order. We both love the screen size of the plus. Real deal breaker for us. I am taking mine back this Saturday. The only decision now is do I keep my 7+ or IUP for the 8+ which isn’t much different.

If you are going from a 6 or 7 or even older, I think you will love the X. If you have a plus and do not like the size of the plus, you will love the X. If you have a plus and love the screen size, don’t even try the X. I am so disappointed and I know this is my own fault. I didn’t research it good enough ahead of time. I knew it was taller but narrower before I ordered. I wanted the new toy so bad and really wanted to love it but the screen size makes me sad. Oh well. I don’t think I am the only one in this boat returning the X.

8. TruBleu macrumors regular

When that happens, if you swipe up, it will scan your face again

9. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502

Day 4 report:

Well, I can see from other threads that my comments about the iPhone X from day 1 are shared by many, many people. There's a pattern:
    • Hate the notch;
    • X is a downgrade from a Plus iPhone;
    • Aspect ratio is weird: too tall, too narrow;
    • Crap screen real estate;
    • Forced gestures...
    All of the above are issues for me with the X. I am very, very close to returning it. Will continue to use it for a few more days.
    • Battery life so far has been terrible. I used it on and off today (not excessive). Battery hit 15% at ~7 pm with red battery.
    • The notch kills me. Terrible.
    • The screen is way too small in this day and age. Usable screen space is destroyed by the super rounded corners and notch, pushing the safe zone away from the forehead and chin of the device: the bezels are in the software folks.
    • The X feels fragile as hell.
    • The sound sucks. No depth.
    I have said this since day 1: the iPhone X may have astronomical returns. This phone is a disaster on many levels.

And something else folks. Since we don't have any Plus features like landscape mode in iOS on this year's X, I fully expect Apple to launch a Plus version next year.

10. PPCmike macrumors member

I hope I don't feel that way... I like the size of my 6+

11. borntrouble macrumors regular

borntrouble

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

The CC access is really bad imo. It shows a lack of basic UI understanding to do what they did, moving CC to a swipe from the top right corner of a phone they made taller. What about left/right handers as well? So you're basically forced to use two hands to access CC, where in the past CC from the bottom only required one handed access, regardless if you're left/right handed.

The lack of information now on the status bar is alarming. Like the point of the status bar was to provide instant information on carrier/wifi/battery percentage/other settings. Now you must navigate to find that information.

13. MattDad379 macrumors newbie

I gave the X a try and still have it but I am highly considering returning for the 8+. The X screen is too narrow compared to the Plus, the notch drives me nuts with screen interference, videos are cropped which looks just like the bezels on the 8 plus or if zoomed it crops the content, software is not optimized as there is a lot of wasted space on screen at the top and bottom especially in the keyboard, battery life is terrible, phone heats up fast on heavy usage, etc. I may even skip upgrading and keep my 7 Plus? Apple is disappointing anymore as I’m never excited about their products or updates anymore?

14. macman01101 macrumors newbie

Exactly.

15. Turtle353 macrumors newbie

Turtle353

I don't love the size and would much prefer X Plus. Debating getting iPhone 8 Plus but coming from a 7 Plus it does not seem worth it. I'm on the IUP program due to getting the 7 Plus and knowing I'd want the tenth anniversary phone but just a bit disappointed. I was leery of IUP due to being pretty much locked in with Apple but only having owned iPhone since 2007 i figured I couldn't go wrong.

Why not put the battery percentage inside the battery frame? FaceID has been pretty good. When I'm at my desk i don't like having to hover over my phone instead of just putting my finger on it but so far that is the only instance of inconvenience.

16. billycuth macrumors 6502a

My wife's Face ID just does not work. You can setup the two face scans no problem, but when you go to use it, it does not unlock the phone. She's tried 50 million times, and I even tried using my face. No luck.

Animojis work, cameras work, but facial recognition to unlock the phone just does not work. At all. 100% fail rate.

17. RandyMass macrumors member

RandyMass

I did return my iPhone X yesterday. At $,250.00 I was not wowed. The most disappointing feature was the screen quality. Perhaps I had a defective unit? I’m going to a Apple store this week to look at display models to see what they look like. As it stands now, I will keep my paid free iPhone 7+.

18. lookatchu, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

To close an app on X, Apple's hack is not fluid and beyond ridiculous:

1. Hold down (don't let go!) and swipe up, but make sure you put the brakes on. Also, don't swipe too fast and let go!
    2. Take your finger (thumb) off the screen.
    3. Now replace your finger onto the screen and press down!
    4. Wait for that red delete button that doesn't immediately appear to appear.
    5. Now you can swipe up or reach up to the left-hand corner and press that sucker off your screen.

Apple should be embarrassed. But, as long as people defend this and the $ keeps rolling in, nothing will be done.

I cannot be a sucker any longer with this hack of a phone with gestures that seem to have been made up on the fly to accommodate this poor design. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going back to my 7+....or, hello 8+

19. McTaste macrumors regular

McTaste

attention awareness seems kind of picky about the angles from which it works. sitting in the apple dock, i tap the screen and have to move my head down until it finds me.

but thats less of a problem for me than the consistent failure of face id when laying on my side in bed. this is one place where touch id was far superior. with face id, i am always typing in my passcode in this situation.

20. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

It's odd. When the phone recognizes my face and unlocks, it's like I accomplished something. It shouldn't be this way. It should be automatic without even thinking about it.

21. Turtle353 macrumors newbie

Turtle353

Also I miss the home landscape option. The X is really the 6/7/8 user upgrade and not really intended for the Plus user like many have already said on here. Oh well I like the phone and with IUP will keep it for a year but I'm hoping for a larger version next year.

22. UK-MacAddict macrumors regular

I'd have to say number one for me is the multitasking gesture. Not only do you have to hold half a second to bring the multitasking up but then you cannot just swipe away the open apps anymore. You have to first hold again to bring the red minus bubble up and then swipe.

Thats my major gripe, other little things I can get used to or live with are;
    - The notch.
    - Having to swipe down to see my battery percentage and other information previously always on show.
    - The extremely scratchable polished stainless steel.
    - The narrower screen which means there are no longer tabs in Safari in landscape mode.

23. mrklaw macrumors 68000

I don’t like the fixed colour in the large top/bottom tabs in safari. When browsing a dark website it really stands out. I’d like the top pane to slide out of the way when scrolling like the bottom one does, or at least be the same colour as the background of the website you’re using

24. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Or, how about you try the X and form your own personal opinions based on your actual experience?

You are reading a complaint thread, so of course it is going to be full of complaints.

I think my X is wonderful. Period.

25. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors regular

Blondie&Dagwood

I hear you completely, with my old iPhone, I was able to check my phone and read messages without having to open my eyes. Losing that feature is a real dealbreaker!