Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smokie88

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having somewhat similar problem only mine cuts in and out. Its intermittent. I feel like I have to press harder. Haven't had any issues where it was completely unresponsive though.

cedsim

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2004
Received my iPhone X from Apple preorder today and was just finishing setting it up -- I was even able to make a phone call -- when the screen suddenly became completely unresponsive to touch.

I have been on with Apple Support via chat and have restored to factory default via iTunes -- no help. And their best response is to walk into a store and see if they can exchange it, or make an appointment for repair. They can't even tell me what local stores might have stock for exchange. They just give me the phone number for my local store, which says they have too many calls and automatically hangs up on me.

This is how Apple deals with a defective $1150 phone? Pretty pathetic.

Same issue only it happened after I did the Automatic Setup with my old iPhone 7 Plus and then plugged the X into my MacBook Pro.
The screen had ghost touching initially, after losing several email and apps I figured out how to power it down completely. I never regained touch capabilities upon turning it back on. I had to remotely wipe it and restore several times to no avail even a restore from backup didn’t do the trick

I just got off the phone with apple support for a total of 71 minutes. They recommended I try to sweet talk my way into the early crowd for an exchange tomorrow!! I am completely disappointed in the latest products coming out from Apple, I know Steve would be pissed at some of the quality control.

I won’t be early adopting any more Apple products, it makes no since to stay up late to preorder anymore. Tomorrow I will walk into the apple store and hand them this phone. I will stick with my old phone until it stops working its simply not worth my time Apple.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Hopefully the replacement doesn't have a hair in it! Check before you leave.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I'm having the same issue too, except I got it from T-Mobile. If I need to replace it, do I have to get it from T-Mobile?

My launch day 8 was defective. Took it back to t mobile the next day and got a brand new one. No restocking fee as you are in the 14 day return time frame.

jallenclark

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
+1 - everything worked great yesterday but I woke up today and the device woiuldn't unlock. After testing and full restore the touch screen is completely unresponseive as others have mentioned. No appoointments until Sunday at apple store, might brave the walk in crowd today.

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
My screen is unresponsive intermittently. I've experienced it 3-4 times the first day while switching home screens or scrolling in spotify. It's like the touchscreen doesn't register every swipe and you have to try harder. Also while this is happening and you're typing it doesn't register every letter. No complete fail though and restart fixes it, so I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software...

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
It looks like it's a software issue. Went to the Genius Bar and they ran all of the tests. They told me to try running it without restoring from backup and it is working fine... for now. If that doesn't work, they will order me a replacement.

jallenclark

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
It looks like it's a software issue. Went to the Genius Bar and they ran all of the tests. They told me to try running it without restoring from backup and it is working fine... for now. If that doesn't work, they will order me a replacement.

I had the opposite, even a reset not from a restore same thing. They confirmed it was hardware.

BE WARNED: They tried to give me a replacement unit. I asked and the genius bar worker confirmed this would have meant after taking the replacement unit I would have been unable to return the phone within 14 days if I didn't like it. Now I highly doubt this will be case but I wanted to warn everyone else what an apple store will do by default, at least the one in Chicago. I had to get an exception from the supervisor to process a return then purchase a new one without waiting in the line. Seems kinda crazy to me, the genius guy I worked agreed. This may not matter to most but I felt like I was being penalized for recieving a faultly unit.

Reactions: macfacts

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
It stopped working. Again. I made two trips to the Apple Store and because, I ordered this from T-Mobile, they can't just hand me a retail replacement - they have to give me a "service phone". But since it is so new, I'm not exactly sure why. Any phone they send me right now is probably new, so I'm not sure why we have to go through this extra step. Since I didn't want to go back to the retail store (after making two trips only to be sent home to try their method), I did this online through chat (the ERS service). Hopefully this will solve the issue, because it's really starting to look like a hardware issue (despite the remote diagnostics saying otherwise).

Reactions: Cpsadowski

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
My screen is unresponsive intermittently. I've experienced it 3-4 times the first day while switching home screens or scrolling in spotify. It's like the touchscreen doesn't register every swipe and you have to try harder. Also while this is happening and you're typing it doesn't register every letter. No complete fail though and restart fixes it, so I'm not sure whether it's hardware or software...

Mine did this this evening while typing. I was walking home in the rain though, so I don’t know if a few drops on the screen had anything to do with it or not. I’ll keep an eye on it and report back. Mine came from T-Mobile as well. Weird.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This happened to my wife’s X out of the box. Couldn’t swipe up from the bottom. Couple of soft resets fixed it.... for 15 mins. Took it back for a refund.

Reactions: Cpsadowski

sherineanwar

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Received my iPhone X from Apple preorder today and was just finishing setting it up -- I was even able to make a phone call -- when the screen suddenly became completely unresponsive to touch.

I have been on with Apple Support via chat and have restored to factory default via iTunes -- no help. And their best response is to walk into a store and see if they can exchange it, or make an appointment for repair. They can't even tell me what local stores might have stock for exchange. They just give me the phone number for my local store, which says they have too many calls and automatically hangs up on me.

Mine is dead on arrival, the screen is not responsive at all even after the hard reset. Will go to the store today and see what i can do.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Happen to me once today when trying to swipe back to the home screen. Power off the device and the screen touch started working again. Mine is also a T-mobile version.

Opes

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
Happened to me also after half a day with it. Thought it had something to do with the Beta or the backup so I tried to set it up as a new phone and on stock 11.1. Worked for a while and now I have the problem again. Tried to restore it twice again, now I can't even get through the "hello" screen. Taking it back to Apple in Kurfürstendamm Berlin, hopefully they have a replacement phone.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
256gb verizon silver - happened and I exchanged it at the genius bar.

Definitely looks like a common defect

Reactions: Leonard1818

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
Same exact issue here... phone will randomly become unresponsive. Touch screen will stop working in the middle of typing, swiping, etc. Hard buttons will work but touch screen will stop working. W T F

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
So I noticed what triggers the non-responsive screen on my phone:

1) taking on and off the case - after I take it off or on, the screen will momentarily become non-responsive. After a few minutes (and sometimes playing with the buttons), it will come back on.
2) while syncing on iTunes, it becomes non-responsive after a little bit. After the sync is done, it comes back again in a few minutes.
3) restoring a bunch of apps - when I first setup the phone from a backup, the non-responsiveness was at its worst when a bunch of apps were being restored in the background.

Based on 2 and 3, it may be a software issue, but 1 makes this really peculiar... I'm going to get a replacement device soon and I will test it out with the same scenarios. If the same thing happens, it's more likely to be a software bug.

I also noticed that when the screen becomes non-responsive and I do the hard reset, the camera button on the lock screen grays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpace32

LTDan808

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017

I had the same problem. I set it up, synced it with my old data and made a phone call--I let it charge for a bit while the apps updated and then it went crazy and acted like it was possessed. It set up it's own Safari favorites folder, called my mother twice, made some emergency phone calls just for fun and opened just about every damn app on the phone. I was finally able to get the thing to shut down by doing a hard restart and then after that the screen was completely unresponsive. No one at Apple Support is able to help. Even the Engineers were stumped and they're supposed to call me with an answer tomorrow about what causes this. I sent them the diagnostics from the phone last night.

The real kicker of it is that Apple is charging me 30 bucks to have an express replacement of a 1150 phone. None of the apple stores in my area have stock to replace mine, so I almost HAD to pay the 30 bucks in order to have the phone anytime soon.

Should we start screaming ScreenGate yet? lol

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
The real kicker of it is that Apple is charging me 30 bucks to have an express replacement of a 1150 phone. None of the apple stores in my area have stock to replace mine, so I almost HAD to pay the 30 bucks in order to have the phone anytime soon.

Should we start screaming ScreenGate yet? lol

The people in-store at Verizon charged me a $35 restocking fee to return the defective X that I got.

I called their phone support and got it credited back (minus the ~$2.36 sales tax of course).

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
Just had the same happen to me! I was using it and suddenly the screen went crazy and i had to reboot it, and upon rebooting, the screen no longer responds to touch inputs. I have restored and have a genius bar appointment tomorrow (I am in the UK). Do you think ill get a replacement handset tomorrow? Ive been worrying ill be without my iPhone this week due to the demand.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
This is screengate... i do NOT recommend purchasing an iPhone X at this point. Spent 2+ hours on online support with Apple so engineers could collect logs. Not I am waiting until they call me back on Tuesday. They could not offer a loaner phone because they said they weren't sure if this was a hardware or software issue.

LTDan808

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
This is screengate... i do NOT recommend purchasing an iPhone X at this point. Spent 2+ hours on online support with Apple so engineers could collect logs. Not I am waiting until they call me back on Tuesday. They could not offer a loaner phone because they said they weren't sure if this was a hardware or software issue.

Ridiculous--Apple engineers are calling me tomorrow to discuss my diagnostic logs with me too. I'll come back and update y'all after. If they tell me it's a software problem or give me too much hassle, I'm well within the 14 day window and I'll just take this thing back and buy it when they figure out what's wrong with these screens. Or get a Pixel 2. Either way, I'm not getting stuck with this brick.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
Ridiculous--Apple engineers are calling me tomorrow to discuss my diagnostic logs with me too. I'll come back and update y'all after. If they tell me it's a software problem or give me too much hassle, I'm well within the 14 day window and I'll just take this thing back and buy it when they figure out what's wrong with these screens. Or get a Pixel 2. Either way, I'm not getting stuck with this brick.

Wow! Looking forward to hear what they tell you. FWIW, reinstalling iOS 11.1 did nothing for me but doing a restore from a previous backup seemed to work so far! This assures me it is likely not a hardware issue but something going on in iOS...

Reactions: Ashka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.