Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning shared a new support document explaining how OLED displays work and that it is normal to see some screen burn-in over time and shifts in color when looking at the iPhone display from an off-angle.

According to Apple, when you look at an OLED display from a side angle, you may see shifts in color and hue, something that's a "characteristic of OLED" and "normal behavior."

iphonexretinadisplay-800x197.jpg

Apple says that with extended long-term use, OLED displays can show "slight visual changes," which is also considered normal. The iPhone X has been engineered to be the "best in industry" at reducing burn-in effects, but Apple's support document suggests burn-in is still a problem that some users could potentially see over time.
This is also expected behavior and can include "image persistence" or "burn-in," where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We've engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."
With Apple referring to burn-in as normal behavior, it's not clear how this issue will be treated should it occur in terms of the one-year iPhone X warranty or extended AppleCare+ coverage. Typically, issues that Apple considers normal are not covered.

Apple's wording suggests screen burn-in is going to be a rare occurrence, but Apple does suggest users avoid displaying static images at maximum brightness for long periods of time. If there's an app that keeps the display on when the iPhone X is not in active use, the brightness level should be temporarily reduced using Control Center.

Making sure the iPhone X's display is set to go to sleep after a short period of time will also help prevent any burn-in issues, as it generally happens when the same image is on the display for a long time. Apple recommends setting Auto Lock to "a shorter time."

Article Link: Apple Says Minor Screen Burn-In and Shifts in Color When Looking at iPhone X Off-Angle Are Normal

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
You got this all wrong, Macrumors. It's actually a new feature from Apple just for iPhone users called iDejavu.

Supposedly, Samsung is the master of OLED. This shouldn't be a major issue. However, between the notch taken out of any widescreen viewing and potential burn-in issues, I'm starting to like the iPhone 8.

Side note: Brought my SE in to the Apple store. Launching apps was a split-second slower than the 8.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Funny that they waited until after launch day sales were racked up before they tell us this
Because it's nothing new? Samsung has bee using OLED panels which is the same type as Apple is using which is AMOLED ( even LG uses it even though they are calling it POLED). The AMOLED means it's an active matrix not some Samsung mumbo jumbo marketing speak. I've used plenty of Samsung devices in the past and based off my personal experience the displays have never burned in an image. I have seen store display models with burn in but as long as you use the phone normally which wouldn't display an image static for long you will be fine. As far as Apples ios goes I do hope they move the status bars on top though which I see as the only potential issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.