iPhone X iPhone X Flakegate? iPhone X Space Grey Finish Flaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booksbooks, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

That’s a phone someone on YouTube put through hell. I remember seeing it on a video He put it through hell. On extreme testing it’s gonna have those marks. I’m almost positive I saw that in a video.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What's interesting, is how many people use the word "Gate" and they have no idea what the definition or even true meaning behind what that actually is.

3. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Was just about to post this verbatim.

Using the term ‘gate’ is the real travesty here.

Op srs question...did you consider being more creative with you iPhone scandal naming conventions?

Gate gets 0/10 on the creativity scale.

If Apple had some water related iPhone issues then using the term watergate would be funny. But that’s it. The gate moniker? Let it die already.

4. IconIc215 macrumors 6502

Here are two using the Mag Polish. There are plenty more examples if you search people doing it with the Apple Watch. Some might even recommend the Cape Cod cloth over any polish as it shouldn't be as messy.

5. trinamyles macrumors newbie

trinamyles

I Asked apple regarding this matter. The stainless steel band of space gray is the same with that of the silver. It is neither PVD nor DLC coated. It is a highly recyclable steel. They were treated differently though to achieve a different color

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Source for your claim? The Bolded in your Post is false. The steel for both the iPhone X in silver and space gray is surgical stainless steel, however, a PVD coating is used on the space gray bands.

This is direct from Apples website:

“Surgical‑grade stainless steel.
    The stainless steel band that wraps around and reinforces iPhone X is a special Apple-designed alloy that’s both durable and more pure, and it polishes beautifully. For the space gray finish, we use a process called physical vapor deposition to precisely match the color of the stainless steel band to that of the glass.”

7. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

So, to the OP, it seems it is al BS, there are no other users with "flaking" iPhones :cool:

Otherwise this forum would be up to a 10.000 complainers, on how Apple dropped the ball and flake gates

stop feeding him.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I don't know.

There is no video showing how that finish actually came off of the phone. There also isn't any video showing the material that was intentionally scratched off of the phone.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Where did you get this information?

What do you mean "treated"?

10. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

False. Apple's site directly contradicts this.

11. newellj macrumors 603

I agree, but I'm curious. I think I'm going to get to an Apple store this weekend and look at the display models in person (rather than relying on things posted on the internet).
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2017 ---
    This is just plain false. If that's what you were told, the person who told you that was just plain wrong.
    Thank you for tracking down and posting that quote to correct this false information.
    But there's some truth there. The closest comparison would be wristwatches with PVD finishes. I don't think I've ever seen one flaking (though I never looked), but the finish will eventually wear off in places where there's continual contact or where there's a decent impact. This topic gets a fair amount of discussion on watch hobby forums.
    As a very personal observation, the bright SS finish is also a nice stylistic reference back to the original iPhone and reminds me of the first couple of iPod Touches I had.

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Sorry, but to say that it "flaked off' is to suggest that there was weakness in the bond between the PVD coating and the steel, such that segments of the coating lifted away from the steel.

We've seen no evidence of this. We have seen pictures that look like they've used a bench grinder or a dremel with a grinding brush to remove the coating from two locations on the pictured iPhone X SG.

It's been scraped away. It hasn't "flaked off".

13. trinamyles macrumors newbie

trinamyles

Got the information from apple itself. I got the chance to chat from one of their agents. So she explained it all to me.
    Explain this to me then

Attached Files:

14. newellj macrumors 603

Explain what? There is nothing about "highly recyclable stainless steel" that bears on the other Apple statements that describe PVD coating.

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Stainless steel watches are often PVD or DLC coated “to improve hardness, wear resistance and oxidation resistance”*

It’s been a thing for a very long time.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_vapor_deposition

16. booksbooks thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, but you need to go back and read this thread, because you clearly haven't.

17. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

They clearly understood the issue better than OP.

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

holy god the level of misinformation, dyslexic interpretation and good old fashioned malarkey is high up in here.

19. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

And 20.000 defenders to make sure the complainers know their place and back the hell off. Apple being the Holy Grail and all..

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Nobody is contesting about the stainless steel being highly recycle, we already know that. I asked you how were you able to know that the Space Gray is not PVD coated, which I indicated direct from Apple's website that the Space gray bands were PVD coated. So you were either misinformed by the representative you spoke with or you have no source at all. I'm guessing you don't have a source at all.

21. trinamyles macrumors newbie

trinamyles

Hahahaha. Why would I makes things up? Lol. Here. Read it all. Suit yourself
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2017 ---
    0ECBC184-3CB8-4295-A78E-37A66F018807.png

Here. READ IT ALL. I never spread hearsays, but FACTS

Attached Files:

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That representative is clearly not knowledgeable based on what Apple is directly stating of their own website, which you were misinformed. And I quoted directly from Apple's website, the Space gray stainless steel X bands are PVD coated. Fact.

The regular stainless steel bands is surgical stainless only with no PVD coating.

23. trinamyles macrumors newbie

trinamyles

Can you at least give me the link for that “quoted” statement?

24. Freezer001, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017

Freezer001 Suspended

Holy crap man. Right here is a screen shot from Apple.com:

Attached Files:

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Again, you were misinformed and incorrect. The iPhone X Space Gray has PVD Coated bands. Scroll down on page to view description.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/#design

Surgical‑grade stainless steel.
    The stainless steel band that wraps around and reinforces iPhone X is a special Apple-designed alloy that’s both durable and more pure, and it polishes beautifully. For the space gray finish, we use a process called physical vapor deposition to precisely match the color of the stainless steel band to that of the glass.