Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Tbh looks like it’s full of marks and scuffs...I was on the fence and likely to buy one tomorrow, but after these pictures I am not going to anymore! The SS will scratch as it is a silly material to be used on a phone, and the SG will also scratch as the coating is very thin (as evidenced by these pictures).

Will sit this one out and see if they improve the coating in Sep. Reminds me of the iPhone 5! My iPhone 6 in SG is still immaculate, I find the (anodisation?) process very durable.

What a pity.

You could always find a case you like & put it on the phone.

The photo above is a display demo phone, so multiple people (including kids) handle them through the day. It doesn't have a case & honestly, any phone that you have wouldn't exchange as many hands or go through the daily process like that unit above goes through. I don't think that's a fair comparison to any phone an individual user would have.

While I completely understand wanting to keep your phone free of scratches, there's no guarantee that next years model, or any model after that, will accomplish that.

If you really want the phone (for it's functions), you can simply protect the cosmetic portions with a case. But I wouldn't let a photo of a demo unit be the deciding factor.....

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
You could always find a case you like & put it on the phone.

The photo above is a display demo phone, so multiple people (including kids) handle them through the day. It doesn't have a case & honestly, any phone that you have wouldn't exchange as many hands or go through the daily process like that unit above goes through. I don't think that's a fair comparison to any phone an individual user would have.

While I completely understand wanting to keep your phone free of scratches, there's no guarantee that next years model, or any model after that, will accomplish that.

If you really want the phone (for it's functions), you can simply protect the cosmetic portions with a case. But I wouldn't let a photo of a demo unit be the deciding factor.....

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I actually like the Apple leather case, have been using the same Apple leather case for 3 years straight on my iP6. Still working and protecting well. The problem is that the bottom (of the X) will get scratched / worn out easily? Easier than my iP6? That would annoy me...

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
the screen on my sliver x has micro stratches on one of the corners. the 6s i had before never had those. kind of disappointed

Reactions: Lokenx

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I actually like the Apple leather case, have been using the same Apple leather case for 3 years straight on my iP6. Still working and protecting well. The problem is that the bottom (of the X) will get scratched / worn out easily? Easier than my iP6? That would annoy me...

I never used apple cases until the X.

The bottom was always a concern for me, so I used (& still like) Spigen cases. They covered the bottom & had nice drop protection.

This year, I decided to finally try a silicone case & I really like it! I've adjusted to the open bottom & the bottom of my phone is fine (I've also stop looking at the bottom so much, but when I do, it still looks good :)

If you like it on your 6, then I'd say just use the same sort of caution with the x. Worst case you could still find a case that covers the bottom if you're really worried, but as long as your careful (i.e not putting it pockets with keys, etc.) The bottom should be fine.

Plus many of the scratches that people mention can only be seen in certain lights & if you're actively looking. There are skins & cases that protect that area if you're still not 100% sold on the open bottom.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
How many of you own a single metal-bodied object that doesn’t scratch? Show of hands, please?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You’ll learn to love em

My Apple Watch battle scars add tremendous character

Jony Ive crafted scratches. Meticulously mistakenly elegantly scratched.

I expect the same sentimental redemption from SS scratches alreadyvtot a few hairline and one deep scratch in a small part

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07425RS66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This case has been taken off probably 10 times since I have had it (almost a month) to clean and simply admire the X design at home from the safety of my couch and I cannot for the life of me find the smallest scratch on the stainless steel bezel. I've held it in various lighting conditions and still nothing.

Now its only been close to a month of ownership and I make sure to baby my phone to avoid scratches so theres the chance down the line it'll start to earn its battle scars. However for $11 after tax/shipping this case has delivered beyond my expectations.

Oh yeah, I dropped my phone from 4ft to asphalt getting out of my car one day, no cracks, and one tiny knick at the corner. I was mortified but happy that the X still looks pristine after a month.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07425RS66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This case has been taken off probably 10 times since I have had it (almost a month) to clean and simply admire the X design at home from the safety of my couch and I cannot for the life of me find the smallest scratch on the stainless steel bezel. I've held it in various lighting conditions and still nothing.

Now its only been close to a month of ownership and I make sure to baby my phone to avoid scratches so theres the chance down the line it'll start to earn its battle scars. However for $11 after tax/shipping this case has delivered beyond my expectations.

Oh yeah, I dropped my phone from 4ft to asphalt getting out of my car one day, no cracks, and one tiny knick at the corner. I was mortified but happy that the X still looks pristine after a month.

Dang that case looks nice

Frost white with the silver and the see through part of side of case and frosted side too

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Dang that case looks nice

Frost white with the silver and the see through part of side of case and frosted side too

Yep, great looking case, great grip, and gets the job done. There is a textured design inside that from what is advertised and I have noticed: it traps dirt into tiny crevices which may help. So small that a regular towel or wipe doesn't get the dirt out. Rinse it out in the sink and pat it dry with a towel to clean it.

It's worth a try for that price.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
How many of you own a single metal-bodied object that doesn’t scratch? Show of hands, please?
My car is worth about 100x the value of the iPhone X and got a heck of a lot more scratches stone chips etc if I go looking for it. My home is about 1000x the value and same story. My daughter is priceless and cut the top of her finger.

To me this is people being totally unreasonable again. #firstworldproblems

It’s a phone ffs

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I never used apple cases until the X.

The bottom was always a concern for me, so I used (& still like) Spigen cases. They covered the bottom & had nice drop protection.

This year, I decided to finally try a silicone case & I really like it! I've adjusted to the open bottom & the bottom of my phone is fine (I've also stop looking at the bottom so much, but when I do, it still looks good :)

If you like it on your 6, then I'd say just use the same sort of caution with the x. Worst case you could still find a case that covers the bottom if you're really worried, but as long as your careful (i.e not putting it pockets with keys, etc.) The bottom should be fine.

Plus many of the scratches that people mention can only be seen in certain lights & if you're actively looking. There are skins & cases that protect that area if you're still not 100% sold on the open bottom.

Thanks a lot. I really baby my iP6 (I use the Apple leather case and a home made slip/wallet made of an old fleece when travelling, so double paranoid!), after 3 years it looks still new, I confess I am not normal!).

I saw on YouTube that one can polish the silver edges with some mag and aluminium polish every now and then, and it then looks like new? So problem solved I think, I am quite sold on the silver one...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
the screen on my sliver x has micro stratches on one of the corners. the 6s i had before never had those. kind of disappointed

Especially being that the display has more of an edge to edge versus where the bezels were in past iPhones, I think most are noticing scratches in that area because of all the contact it Has there when you least expect it.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
My car is worth about 100x the value of the iPhone X and got a heck of a lot more scratches stone chips etc if I go looking for it. My home is about 1000x the value and same story. My daughter is priceless and cut the top of her finger.

To me this is people being totally unreasonable again. #firstworldproblems

It’s a phone ffs
You must be driving a realy nice car and live in a realy nice house. Congrats man...

Reactions: maka344

nomana

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
I just returned my space gray after 10 days of usage. I noticed that the finish around lightning port and speaker holes started to come off a little. Don't even want to think about how it will look like after a month.

2 days after purchase, I had scrarches around speakers like yours. Now about 2 week since then, worst.

I has apple leather case and I inspected super carefull before took it home. Have no idea how that happened. The scratches started with purple stain (long thick line from first hole through charger hole to last hole of another side) and then get ligher and turned to silver ss.

The scratches are not sharp like when you scratch it with keys or knife but like when you rub its bottom on steel wool.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Here's my plan:

1. Buy a new space gray/black/whatever iPhone X
2. Unbox it
3. Photograph myself scratching it with a roofing nail
4. Post it here on MacRumors
5. ????
6. Profit!

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
You must be driving a realy nice car and live in a realy nice house. Congrats man...
Or an expensive country. Either way that is besides the point. For many people their car is worth a lot more as it their house etc. But winging and moaning about a relatively cheap device is just unbelievable.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
NOT MY WATCH. Just shows that if you want a steel object to remain pristine, you should keep in a safe.

Btw, the owner who posted this on another forum wrote that he’s proud of having put it to good use.
034172748d61aa77dfc6fb00a90f3c66.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or an expensive country. Either way that is besides the point. For many people their car is worth a lot more as it their house etc. But winging and moaning about a relatively cheap device is just unbelievable.

An iPhone is just a tool and a commodity that sees a tremendous amount of daily use, and damage that happens in the slightest is not necessarily intolerable. What you read on a tech forum about those who are pedantically overly concerned about their iPhone scratching, is a minority on a tech forum.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
NOT MY WATCH. Just shows that if you want a steel object to remain pristine, you should keep in a safe.

Btw, the owner who posted this on another forum wrote that he’s proud of having put it to good use.

Amen. I am wearing on my left wrist a 12 year old Rolex GMT Master II. It has not just scratches but actual divots and dents in the case. I put every one of them there wearing it daily. It's obviously just an inanimate object, but it's almost like the watch and I have a life together. When I send it out to be serviced, they automatically polish the case (or at least they want to). I make it clear several different ways, including tying a tag to the watch itself, that I do not want the scratches and dings and divots polished or dressed up. I am very happy with my watch in the condition that it has gotten into being worn every day.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
I read yesterday it has the same issues as the Macbook Pro Retina and the "staingate" issue, which has been going on for years, with people changing the screen only to have the problem appear again a few months later. I'd trust more the iPhone 8. Apple simply can't seem to handle quality issues.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I read yesterday it has the same issues as the Macbook Pro Retina and the "staingate" issue, which has been going on for years, with people changing the screen only to have the problem appear again a few months later. I'd trust more the iPhone 8. Apple simply can't seem to handle quality issues.
What's your solution for preventing scratches on stainless steel?

What steel object do you know of that's scratchproof? Can you show us? Because nobody here or at Apple seems to know about scratchproof steel and completely scratchproof coatings.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
What's your solution for preventing scratches on stainless steel?

What steel object do you know of that's scratchproof? Can you show us? Because nobody here or at Apple seems to know about scratchproof steel and completely scratchproof coatings.

Why would I have a solution? Apple should; it's their job. My non-technical solution is to simply not buy a phone with a defective screen, like any person with common sense.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Why would I have a solution? Apple should; it's their job. My non-technical solution is to simply not buy a phone with a defective screen, like any person with common sense.
Are you talking about screen replacements or scratches on the steel?

Because this thread is about scratches.

You think a "quality issue" is stainless steel that behaves like stainless steel -- at least according to your post.

What do you expect these things to be made from? An alloy of unicorn horns and Adamantium steel harvested from clones of Wolverine?

Like someone else said: "It's a phone, FFS."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.