Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I got my Silver one 3 days ago, not going to use any case. I decided to go caseless because I used a silver iPhone 6 in an Apple leather case since the launch week and, while the case kept the phone looking pristine, it kept me from enjoying what I think is a beautiful design as well. Not going to make the same mistake again!
The upper part of the stainless steel band already has lots of light scratches and scuffs. It looks dull and flat, so much different from the original shine!
I had to think for a second, to understand what was causing them: it's the rubbing against my pants while putting the phone in my pocket.
I was expecting it to be delicate, but this is ridiculous. I own many polished stainless steel watches, which are constantly rubbed against shirts, jumpers and jackets, especially while putting clothes on. They do not look like this, even after many years of usage.
I understand the silver model can be polished, and maybe someday I will do it... But most probably not.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I'm going to see whether I can return or replace mine, I'm still within the return period, but I don't know whether conditions apply yet, going to call and learn

I was ok with surface scratches, but deep scratches just from dust? That's too much :(
("dust" isn't a hefty dust either, it's from a Dyson vacuumed room)

I still can't believe how the screen could be scratched so so deeply, when I increase the screen brightness, the scratch refracts light

I do believe there's something amiss tho, they claim the glass is stronger than anything they made, but as comparison, I have my 5th gen iPod that I used for 3 years, has almost no light scratches, no deep scratches - in comparison - the iPhone X got a multitude of light scratches, and 2 deep scratches, one being in the middle of the screen, and I'm guessing, 0.3mm deep and wide
[doublepost=1514890318][/doublepost]Started the return process, funny thing is, I still don't want to use a phone with bulky protectors etc. - but best not to repeat a mistake twice, I'll buy some protection

The representative mentioned it could be a defect with the coating process, but I guess it's best not to risk it, still, the phone was beautiful, really wish it was possible to use it as it is ... :(

It is possible to use it as it is...Absolutely 100%...Just use it and stop inspecting it :)

Reactions: BarracksSi

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
It is possible to use it as it is...Absolutely 100%...Just use it and stop inspecting it :)

It was my intention, but turned out impossible

My assumption was: Scratches are mostly aesthetic, not affecting functionality
Reality: With a scratch this deep, it does affect functionality, distorting colors

Out of curiosity, I inspected all the old phones in our house, none of them have similar scratches, and most of them are heavily used phones (iphones, androids and so on)

Such a shame really, I've been looking at screen protectors for the last 2 hours, it's a shame I will have to cover such a beautiful device

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
It was my intention, but turned out impossible

My assumption was: Scratches are mostly aesthetic, not affecting functionality
Reality: With a scratch this deep, it does affect functionality, distorting colors

Out of curiosity, I inspected all the old phones in our house, none of them have similar scratches, and most of them are heavily used phones (iphones, androids and so on)

Such a shame really, I've been looking at screen protectors for the last 2 hours, it's a shame I will have to cover such a beautiful device
You don’t have to, just got to be aware of what can cause such a deep scratch...I never put mine in the same pocket as my wife’s solitaire diamond :)

Robotpreston

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
Has anyone the same issue? I got a lot of tiny scratches on my iPhone in the stainless steel frame
You know the dark stainless steel has a DLC, Diamond-Like-Carbon layer. This will prevent scratches. I would go get the gray. That’s what I have. Although the back and front will still scratch the same but the stainless is as hard to scratch as diamond

Reactions: Brandonjr36

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
I chose the silver version second time around

Reasons:
https://boygeniusreport.files.wordp...cratches-1.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all
https://www.etradesupply.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/iPhone-X-middle-frame-paint-flake.jpg

Since I experienced one issue, I decided to minimise issues this time, so the choice was silver iphone, apple leather case + spigen screen protector

Best not to be affected too much by marketing materials, there's no guarantee that the PVD coating won't start chipping over time - tiny scratches seem better than chips

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You know the dark stainless steel has a DLC, Diamond-Like-Carbon layer. This will prevent scratches. I would go get the gray. That’s what I have. Although the back and front will still scratch the same but the stainless is as hard to scratch as diamond

Incorrect. The space gray uses a physical vapor deposition coating, Not a DLC/diamond like carbon coating. PVD does not nearly have the durability that DLC does.

And the stainless Apple uses for the bands is nothing more than a surgical grade stainless.

Robotpreston

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2018
Incorrect. The space gray uses a physical vapor deposition coating, not DLC/diamond like carbon coating. PVD does not nearly have the durability that DLC does.

And the stainless Apple uses for the bands is nothing more than a surgical grade stainless.
Incorrect. The space gray uses a physical vapor deposition coating, not DLC/diamond like carbon coating. PVD does not nearly have the durability that DLC does.

Actually it has both. I just didn’t mention the PVD because it is not significant. If you don’t believe me, LOOK IT UP.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Actually it has both. I just didn’t mention the PVD because it is not significant. If you don’t believe me, LOOK IT UP.

No, it doesn't use both. Please provide a source indicating the space gray iPhone X bands uses DLC. You're spreading misinformation. It does not use both diamond like carbon coating and physical vapor deposition coatings. Nowhere on any where does Apple list diamond like carbon coating being used an iPhone X bands. It only uses PVD.

And please don't be dismissive by telling me to look something up, when you could easily provide a source your self proving your point otherwise, which in fact you are incorrect. The PVD coating is significant, because it's the only coating that Apple uses on the space gray X bands

Only the space black Apple Watch uses a diamond like carbon coating.

On the Apple link, scroll down and it clearly indicates the physical Vapor deposition coating.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

https://insights.dice.com/2017/09/13/iphone-x-launch/

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I got my Silver one 3 days ago, not going to use any case. I decided to go caseless because I used a silver iPhone 6 in an Apple leather case since the launch week and, while the case kept the phone looking pristine, it kept me from enjoying what I think is a beautiful design as well. Not going to make the same mistake again!
The upper part of the stainless steel band already has lots of light scratches and scuffs. It looks dull and flat, so much different from the original shine!
I had to think for a second, to understand what was causing them: it's the rubbing against my pants while putting the phone in my pocket.
I was expecting it to be delicate, but this is ridiculous. I own many polished stainless steel watches, which are constantly rubbed against shirts, jumpers and jackets, especially while putting clothes on. They do not look like this, even after many years of usage.
I understand the silver model can be polished, and maybe someday I will do it... But most probably not.
It won't be the pants....it'll be the pocket lint that's gathered in the bottom of the pocket. Believe it or not, but the dust and other particulates can be really, really abrasive. To minimize scratches, you should be going through and cleaning out all of your pockets (using lint rollers and vacuum cleaners may help to get more).

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
While researching myself, came upon this discussion: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-coated-more-scratch-resistant.2085439/page-5 the Sean76 guy was onto things

Unrelated to the discussion, I'll repeat one warning, even if you like or don't mind scratches, the screen gets "carved", in my opinion the screen is very soft and nowhere near "50% stronger than anything they've made" - the screen literally gets carved just by random dust, it's not something you can ignore either, your fingers/nail will catch onto it

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It won't be the pants....it'll be the pocket lint that's gathered in the bottom of the pocket. Believe it or not, but the dust and other particulates can be really, really abrasive. To minimize scratches, you should be going through and cleaning out all of your pockets (using lint rollers and vacuum cleaners may help to get more).

With some pants, you can turn the pockets inside out before washing, which helps.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With some pants, you can turn the pockets inside out before washing, which helps.

Good point. Also, in between washing, you can use a lint roller with the pockets turned inside out to remove any debris as well.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
My latest X is almost 2 weeks old and already has 2 small micro scratches on the screen. Always baby my phones, dedicated pants pocket. No doubt random lint / dust scratched it. Apple was not selling the Belkin protectors because of the recall. I thought I could survive until I get one, but nope.

Put on cheap ones from Amazon and then a Zagg. They all look like trash on the screen, to me, the Apple / Belkin ones were worth the cost because they were perfect when I tried them.

So pathetic that a $1000 phone can’t survive dust scratches. I may just go without a protector for the duration now and take a hit when I sell it if the scratches get worse. I don’t understand why in 2018 we have to accept this nonsense.

Reactions: rotlex

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
hm yeah you might be right, but is annoying anyway

It’s not brushed stainless steel which doesn’t show scratches. It’s Shiny stainless steel which shows scratches regardless if it’s on an iPhone or silverware or on a cooking pot
Best suggestion put a case on it

Reactions: newellj

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I chose the silver version second time around

Reasons:
https://boygeniusreport.files.wordp...cratches-1.jpg?quality=98&strip=all&strip=all
https://www.etradesupply.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/iPhone-X-middle-frame-paint-flake.jpg

Since I experienced one issue, I decided to minimise issues this time, so the choice was silver iphone, apple leather case + spigen screen protector

Best not to be affected too much by marketing materials, there's no guarantee that the PVD coating won't start chipping over time - tiny scratches seem better than chips
I have the space grey and love it. I think someone has deliberately tried to get that finish off on that phone you posted. Almost like it was used as an experiment like most on YouTube.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
It’s not brushed stainless steel which doesn’t show scratches. It’s Shiny stainless steel which shows scratches regardless if it’s on an iPhone or silverware or on a cooking pot
If you need me to, when I get home, I can take pics of my wristwatches with brushed steel sections that show wear -- some scratches, some burnishing.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Even brushed stainless will show scratches.

If you wear it or carry it around all day it will get scuffed or scratched sooner or later.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Even brushed stainless will show scratches.

If you wear it or carry it around all day it will get scuffed or scratched sooner or later.

My memory of my 4 and 4S is that they really didn't show much wear and tear. Also, with brushed stainless, it's usually possible to find an appropriate grade Scotchbrite pad to touch up a brushed finish. FWIW...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
My memory of my 4 and 4S is that they really didn't show much wear and tear. Also, with brushed stainless, it's usually possible to find an appropriate grade Scotchbrite pad to touch up a brushed finish. FWIW...

4/4S were frosted, or sandblasted, but most nicks would appear on the very edges (the beveled corners) and not on the flat sides.

And the wrong grade of abrasive would add a different amount of brushing. It’s easier to just polish smooth.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
While researching myself, came upon this discussion: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-coated-more-scratch-resistant.2085439/page-5 the Sean76 guy was onto things

Unrelated to the discussion, I'll repeat one warning, even if you like or don't mind scratches, the screen gets "carved", in my opinion the screen is very soft and nowhere near "50% stronger than anything they've made" - the screen literally gets carved just by random dust, it's not something you can ignore either, your fingers/nail will catch onto it

This is extremely frustrating to me. I have my X a month, in a case, but no screen protector. I have NEVER scratched a screen in all the iPhones I've owned. My 6 lived in my front pocket for 3 years and there is not a single mark on it. My X now has 2 small "scuffs" after a month of ownership. I just ordered a tempered glass protector today but really wish Apple would address this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.