Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone X in Space Gray With 256GB of Storage is Most Popular Pre-Order Option Among MacRumors Readers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors conducted a brief poll on Twitter today that asked all of our followers to select which iPhone X color and storage capacity they plan to pre-order later this week, and the results are now in.

As a refresher, the iPhone X comes in Silver and Space Gray, with 64GB or 256GB of storage for $999 or $1,149 respectively.

The most popular iPhone X was Space Gray with 256GB of storage, which was the model of choice for 39 percent of respondents and very likely could be the configuration that faces the tightest supply at launch.

Which iPhone X model do you plan to pre-order? - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) October 24, 2017

Historically, many customers have always opted for the iPhone in some variant of gray or black with the most storage available. Last year, for example, the model in tightest supply was the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black with 256GB of storage.

The runner-up was the Space Gray model with 64GB of storage, which received 30 percent of the over 6,500 votes received. Combined with the 256GB model, Space Gray was the color of choice for just over two thirds of users.

Silver was the less popular choice. 14 percent of users said they plan to pre-order the 64GB model, while 17 percent are leaning towards the 256GB model, in that color. Of note, this year's Silver model has black front bezels.

Customers looking to pre-order any iPhone X for potential launch day delivery may have the best luck choosing the Silver and 64GB combination, but that's assuming that Apple has the same number of units available for each configuration.

While the poll results are interesting from a high level, they aren't very scientific. We don't have any demographics about the users who voted, and it's impossible to say how many respondents will actually follow through with a pre-order.

iPhone X pre-orders begin Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time. The first deliveries to customers and limited in-store availability begin November 3.

Article Link: iPhone X in Space Gray With 256GB of Storage is Most Popular Pre-Order Option Among MacRumors Readers

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Been mulling over if I need that much storage. I'm not much of a shutterbug and am doing just fine with my 64GB storage on my 5S. Especially with streaming music I don't need to store as much on my phone.

Hmmmmmm. Plus as a non US resident the price is already super high. I also want Apple Care this time around.

Reactions: one more
Comment

JGIGS

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
SPACE GRAY = FINGERPRINTS. DUH!

Good news for silver fans. More for us. :cool:

Jet black 7 and space gray 8 just doesn't appeal to me. Smudge galore like the matte black HTC One M7 compared to the silver one.

As someone who hates cases and usually try not to use them I think I will on this one since the phone is so expensive seems most people skin so smudges would really depend on the case for most people.

Are you two going naked on your X?

Reactions: poppe
Comment

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
People before the poll results: I’m going to get the space gray iPhone.

People after the poll results: Well let me take a second look a silver. Oh it doesn’t look that bad. And looks like there isn’t that much demand for silver either. I’ll get silver.

People after iPhone X launch: **** I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN SPACE GRAY.

Lesson - DO NOT BUY THE 256 GB SILVER iPHONE X

Comment

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
First year ever that I'm opting for a non-black iPhone.

You and me both...I’ve been waiting for a non-black iPhone with a black front for a long time, haha!!

SPACE GRAY = FINGERPRINTS. DUH!

Yes!! Checked out the SG 8’s at the Apple Store. I run without a case and the back of the SG 8 was a fingerprint magnet (think of your iPad screen when off and you get the idea, haha!).

Good news for silver fans. More for us. :cool:

Jet black 7 and space gray 8 just doesn't appeal to me. Smudge galore like the matte black HTC One M7 compared to the silver one.

I hope so!! :D

Comment

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Nice, 256GB silver is what I selected, hopefully this means it will be "easy" to get.

Comment

danpass

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
I thought there was a 512gb option.

Anyway, I was a bit miffed when they dropped the 256gb option upon dropping the iPhone 7 price. The 128gb I went with is ok.

Reactions: poppe
Comment

ozthegweat

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Switzerland
Is the stainless steel band the same in both color variants? In the photos, the band on the space gray model looks a bit darker than on the Silver one.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Glad I went with the silver. First time getting a white iPhone, but three things: The front is black, that pure stainless steel band is to die for and harkens back to my original iPhone, and the white back will show fewer fingerprints.

Comment

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Jet black is sooo 2016.

I’ve had jet black for a year now with iPhone 7, so I’m bored with it and switching to silver.

Laughing at the fact there will be some people on here though who slated jet black who are probably going jet black this year!

Finally got over it?

Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68030
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
If I can't help myself early next year when I travel to the US, it will be Space Gray 256 GB - or if they have a 128 GB model by then.

Comment

Lnc2017

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
My carrier has a sign up sheet I was the first customer this Friday all I i have to do is relax and do nothing. I will be getting a phone next Friday before I go vacation done and done.

Reactions: J.Dillinger
Comment

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The more important question is how many of each did Apple make? If Apple is making them in equal quantities, then I'm going for a Silver 64.

If they anticipated that Space Grey will have more demand, then I'm going to get Space Grey 64.

Now, I don't know what to do. Which ever one I order, if it results in a delay I'm gonna regret my choice.

That is until a week after I get it and then I'll have completely forgotten about the whole thing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.