iPhone X is unimpressive

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I went to the Apple store today to experience the iPhone X phenomenon. I must say the phone is too small. I was not impressed. I have no regrets moving to the Note 8 having been in the iPhone ecosystem since 2008. The Note 8 is a far superior phone in many respects. My decision was based on facts, not emotions.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I went to the Apple store today to experience the iPhone X phenomenon. I must say the phone is too small. I was not impressed. I have no regrets moving to the Note 8 having been in the iPhone ecosystem since 2008. The Note 8 is a far superior phone in many respects. My decision was based on facts, not emotions.
Please, indulge us with these so-called “facts”.

phrehdd

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2008
I gather the real challenge is whether one feels comfortable with Apple's vision/agenda/marketing paradigm and of course the product they offer. I'll be candid, there is a lot to love about iPhones. There is also a lot to like about certain Android phones too. I waited many years to have a simple change in the Apple phone that never happened. So, for the first time I opted for an Android phone. Again - some really good stuff (solved my problem nicely) and then I miss some stuff about the iPhone. While I have apps to synch between Android and Mac computer, it is certainly not the same as iPhone to Mac which is truly a much neater and slicker process. However, as I said, I have an Android now and I am content for now but next time around, I might be Apple again if* they address a simple change or rather modification to their a capability of the phone screens. My Galaxy 8+ works well for me and truth be known, I wish that back when I had gone for the plus model iPhones.

Just remember - This isn't the Apple of yore.

This is the brand who I refer to as "Apple, just another company."

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I went and tried the phone (I’m only getting mine in late November). All the negative posts where making me second guess my choice. As a current 7plus user I was blown away by the X when I held it in my hand.

If you want an android phone, the note is a great choice. But for many here we are only comparing iPhones...

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
If size is all that matters to you, then enjoy your Note 8.

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
So the reason for posting this thread is what? So you didn't even know the X is the same size as the S8. It took you this long to figure out you didn't like a phone the size of the X, yet the 8 has been around for 6 months to compare? And just by playing around with the X for a few minutes and based on that it was superior exactly how? Surely not the Samsung bloatware? Surely not having to wait for the carrier to send out FW updates instead of Samsung?

Last edited:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have used Apple since 2007 and I have the opposite view. I have used the HTC One and the Galaxy 7. I hated both the phones and the ecosystem. I returned both phones and kept on using my iPhone. I have the iPhone X and it's excellent. It's the size I want with the screen size I want. I don't need a tablet as a phone.

To each their own.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I posted this elsewhere, but here are the facts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

1. Note 8 has a larger screen.
2. Size wise, it's a little taller than the iPhone 6 plus I had, so the size of it does not bother me.
3. It has an micro SD card, the iPhone X doesn't.
4. It has headphone jack, the iPhone X doesn't.
5. Samsung screen has a higher resolution than the iPhone X's screen
6. The notch on the iPhone X bothers me. The phone is not aesthetically appealing to the eyes. The Samsung Note 8 is beautiful and symmetrical. It reminds me of the monolith from the 2001: a Space Odyssey.
7. I use the S-pen occasionally for writing quick notes and to do lists. The iPhone X doesn't have one.
8. You can customize the Note 8. You can't with the iPhone X.
9. The Note 8 retains the virtual home button. The iPhone X did away with it.
10. Granted it is located in an awkward position, the Note 8 has a finger scanner. The iPhone doesn't.
11. Note 8 has a fingerprint scanner, an iris scanner, and a facial recognition system. The iPhone X only has face ID.
12. The Note 8 has 6GB of RAM.
13. Google Voice is well integrated into Note 8. I could, for example, unlock the phone with my voice. Google voice, in my opinion, is far more advanced than Apple's Siri. Bixby is far behind Google voice and Siri, I admit that.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have used Apple since 2007 and I have the opposite view. I used the HTC one and the Galaxy 7. I hated both the phones and the ecosystem. I returned both phones and kept on using my iPhone.
Are you getting the X?

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2014
I posted this elsewhere, but here are the facts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

1. Note 8 has a larger screen.
2. Size wise, it's a little taller than the iPhone 6 plus I had, so the size of it does not bother me.
3. It has an micro SD card, the iPhone X doesn't.
4. It has headphone jack, the iPhone X doesn't.
5. Samsung screen has a higher resolution than the iPhone X's screen
6. The notch on the iPhone X bothers me. The phone is not aesthetically appealing to the eyes. The Samsung Note 8 is beautiful and symmetrical. It reminds me of the monolith from the 2001: a Space Odyssey.
7. I use the S-pen occasionally for writing quick notes and to do lists. The iPhone X doesn't have one.
8. You can customize the Note 8. You can't with the iPhone X.
9. The Note 8 retains the virtual home button. The iPhone X did away with it.
10. Granted it is located in an awkward position, the Note 8 has a finger scanner. The iPhone doesn't.
11. Note 8 has a fingerprint scanner, an iris scanner, and a facial recognition system. The iPhone X only has face ID.
12. The Note 8 has 6GB of RAM.
13. Google Voice is well integrated into Note 8. I could, for example, unlock the phone with my voice. Google voice, in my opinion, is far more advanced than Apple's Siri. Bixby is far behind Google voice and Siri, I admit that.
Again, it is quite simple - Note 8 does not run iOS.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Are you getting the X?
I edited my original post. Yes, I've had the X since launch day. Ordered it and it arrive Friday. It took me less than a day to get used to the lack of a button. The phone is easier to hold and carry. Before, the Plus model was too large for my pockets, was always uncomfortable to a degree. I don't have any real complaints about the X.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
I hope this release is unimpressive for a lot of people

I would love for Apple to have a lackluster season and think to CONTINUE to step their game up (like they have with the X, in my opinion)

Maybe they’ll price drop it and I can get a $100 refund or something for being an early adopter :D

I’d be ok with that,

Reactions: geemiller05

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Note 8 doesn't run iOS.
This is pretty much it.

We all know the droid hardware is far superior, on paper you would have to be an idiot to not realize that they are usually way ahead of the times when introducing features it takes years to make on the latest iPhone models. To be honest, the iPhone has always looked dated and clunky...the iPhone 5 was embarrassing and looked like it should have come out in 2001.

BUUUUUUUT droids don't run iOS and I will never own one because of that. I am usually hard on apple because they attract the most ridiculous fanboys in technology but they have hands down the best phone OS out there by far (my opinion of course).

I "put up" with iPhone hardware because the software is what I crave.
[doublepost=1509937877][/doublepost]
Thank god! Last thing i want is a locked down OS on my workhorse phone. :)
Oh because you're doing so much on that workhorse phone, you must be fighting terrorism! Wow you must be super smart with technology...

These "locked down OS" guys kill me...

I worked with this IT clown at my old employer; he acted like he was so hip and cool because he "unlocked" his phone and all he did with it was run some stupid video streaming app that poorly streamed pirated movies and I think he changed the background on one of his apps. I think he bought a yacht with all the money he saved not having a Netflix subscription!

Man that guy was so cool, I bet he rolled his cigarettes up in his sleeves too. What a cool cat!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

1. Note 8 has a larger screen. I don't want or need a larger screen. Don't care to carry around an iPad Mini in my pocket.
3. It has an micro SD card, the iPhone X doesn't. I don't need a micro SD card.
4. It has headphone jack, the iPhone X doesn't. I rarely use headphones and I have the Beats X.
5. Samsung screen has a higher resolution than the iPhone X's screen. Goes back to a larger screen, no need for it.
6. The notch on the iPhone X bothers me. The phone is not aesthetically appealing to the eyes. The Samsung Note 8 is beautiful and symmetrical. It reminds me of the monolith from the 2001: a Space Odyssey. After a day I don't even notice the notch. I've had the X since Friday afternoon.
7. I use the S-pen occasionally for writing quick notes and to do lists. The iPhone X doesn't have one. I hate stylus. I can type or just voice dictate "to do" lists faster than anyone can type.
8. You can customize the Note 8. You can't with the iPhone X. I have zero interest in "customizing" my iPhone.
9. The Note 8 retains the virtual home button. The iPhone X did away with it. After a day I don't miss the button at all and I've had every iPhone since 3GS. You adapt to everything, as such is life.
10. Granted it is located in an awkward position, the Note 8 has a finger scanner. The iPhone doesn't. While I would prefer a fingerprint scanner, it doesn't bother me since the Face ID works very well.
11. Note 8 has a fingerprint scanner, an iris scanner, and a facial recognition system. The iPhone X only has face ID. I don't need that many ways to get into my phone. I always have my passcode. I don't work for the CIA.
12. The Note 8 has 6GB of RAM. Specs don't mean anything. It's how it's integrated with the phone. Even though most Android phones have better specs the phones themselves run slower and less effectively versus the iPhone.
13. Google Voice is well integrated into Note 8. I could, for example, unlock the phone with my voice. Google voice, in my opinion, is far more advanced than Apple's Siri. Bixby is far behind Google voice and Siri, I admit that. I agree, I wish Siri was more capable in terms of controlling the phone and the apps. However, it's not enough for me to change ecosystems or use the Android phones out there. The iPhone, overall, is a better quality phone with a smoother OS.
You are correct. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine are in bold above.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Please, indulge us with these so-called “facts”.
You just don’t understand.
His likes and dislikes are facts, everyone else’s likes and dislikes that differ with his, are emotions.
See how that works.
If I like the X it’s emotional, if he dislikes the X it’s facts. Simple really.

Last edited by a moderator:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Oh because you're doing so much on that workhorse phone, you must be fighting terrorism! Wow you must be super smart with technology...

These "locked down OS" guys kill me...

I worked with this IT clown at my old employer; he acted like he was so hip and cool because he "unlocked" his phone and all he did with it was run some stupid video streaming app that poorly streamed pirated movies and I think he changed the background on one of his apps. I think he bought a yacht with all the money he saved not having a Netflix subscription!

Man that guy was so cool, I bet he rolled his cigarettes up in his sleeves too. What a cool cat!
Looks like i hit a nerve, its alright everything will be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: