iPhone X Models With Qualcomm Modem Still Have Faster LTE Speeds Than Those With Intel Modems

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Doesn’t Apple source all of the OLED panels from Samsung, not a Samsung vs. LG situation? Was it just defective?
Yes just standard panel lottery

By chance the good one was intel and bad was Qualcomm. No correlation otherwise

Just stating why I opted for intel cus the unit I got was a good screen

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
If you look at all other countries, we all get one model of iPhone designed to take best advantage of all the networks on offer. For example, Japan only has one CDMA network (KDDI) but they sell the Qualcomm model regardless on which carrier.

This is more of stock control and reducing SKUs rather than people’s demand for faster devices.
The rest of the other countries are not China. They don’t have 1.4 billion people.

China Unicom alone has more wireless subscribers than the popultation of small countries like Japan, Australia, and New Zealand combined.

If Intel is supplying Apple their modem a couple dollars cheaper than Qualcomm, it’s worthwhile to separate the SKUs.

Consumers in Asia look at spec sheets far more carefully than North American customers.
[doublepost=1512185489][/doublepost]
I talked about this a few weeks ago and in the real world this really isn't the case. The Intel iPhone X actually performs better on both AT&T and T-Mobile when your talking about actual speed people are seeing.

https://blog.speedsmart.net/2017/11/13/iphone-x-which-modem-is-faster/

View attachment 739704
Nah.

• Unknown blog and app? Check.
  • Undisclosed testing methodology? Check.
  • Undisclosed sample size? Check.
That’s called clickbait.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
What I'd be interested in between the two:
  • Power usage at different signal strengths.
  • Weakest signal either can pick up.

Sometimes differences are based upon things like tuning it to prefer efficiency over speed. Arbitrary info like Intel was slower at a specific signal strength is kind of useless, I doubt anyone would ever notice that speed difference but they might notice their battery lasting longer with high usage.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
The rest of the other countries are not China. They don’t have 1.4 billion people.

China Unicom alone has more wireless subscribers than the popultation of small countries like Japan, Australia, and New Zealand combined.

If Intel is supplying Apple their modem a couple dollars cheaper than Qualcomm, it’s worthwhile to separate the SKUs.

Consumers in Asia look at spec sheets far more carefully than North American customers.
[doublepost=1512185489][/doublepost]

Nah.

• Unknown blog and app? Check.
  • Undisclosed testing methodology? Check.
  • Undisclosed sample size? Check.
That’s called clickbait.
Apparently that user is the dev of that app. Sample size ~70K downloads of which who knows how many of them actually use an iPhone X.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Only intel has field test mode , is that correct?

Can someone w Qualcomm try *3001#12345#* and call button?

anoobis

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
"You won't notice it in everyday usage"

Hahaha tell yourself what you need.

Inferior chip is inferior chip

Reactions: kirk.vino

Theyayarealivin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yes, but the only way Verizon will let you do this is to pay 100% for phone (obviously) as well as set up a postpaid account. You then have to cancel the postpaid account. Source: I just got thru doing this since Verizon doesn’t offer a prepaid iPhone X yet.
That's too much work! are you serious!

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Although these test may show further away from a tower, it fails to take into account obstacles, which will have real world impact which wills skew the the results..

This would be outdoors yes, not indoors?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
This discussion is mostly pointless, these bottlenecks just don't exist in the real world. That the maximum theoretical is 600 but they start at 195 tells you most of what you need to know about speeds. The modem speed is NOT the bottleneck IRL, the same way your home wifi is usually any times faster than your internet speeds and yet people still blame the wifi for slow internet speeds! There is no difference between the two and there would be far more choice if Qualcomm wasn't a patent whore.

Reactions: j3T

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Your claims of Apple's reason to supplying the A1865 model to China is very subjective.

China may have a huge population, but per capita, a very small amount of people use iPhones. I live in Australia and being a wealth country, almost everyone uses an iPhone here while in China, only the select few of the wealth can afford one. Local brands dominate the Chinese market.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I’m on an Intel model and haven’t noticed it being any worse than my 6s for signal. Would be interesting to compare the 2 new chips in real life situations

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
Carriers don’t lock phones anymore unless your tied to a installment plan. If it’s locked and att will not unlock the device it’s because you owe Money on the device and need to pay it off..once you do you can request to have your device unlocked and are free to use your phone with any carrier that is supported. The difference to me is in the resell value..you will get more for a phone that can be used on more networks
This makes sense to me, but I have seen contradicting info elsewhere.

Why? You paid full for your device! Can they lock it ? I mean it is your device, you paid in full. I always purchase apple sim free phone and use it with my family share plan on ATT.
This is the way I thought it worked too, and this is probably how it does work. Any iPhone I purchased for my family was unlocked, but I read that AT&T would lock unlocked iPhone once you put their SIM into it. I have seen this multiple places.

I've heard this only happens with phones bought at best buy. If this happens and you paid in full, you can go to the AT&T website and submit an unlock request and they will unlock it automatically for you.
Maybe this is what the posts I have seen are referring to, but I am pretty sure a few of the posts said unlocked iPhones, not ones purchased via Best Buy.

Also, I have seen posts saying AT&T does not unlock phones often, unless you talk to the correct customer service rep.

Again, this info I have seen was probably incorrect, that is why I have been asking.

I have used all the major mobile services in the US, and I am currently on my wife's Verizon account that she has had since 2002. She has been very reluctant to change mobile providers, even when doing so could save us money. If we ever do decide to try another provider, I wanted to make sure that our unlocked iPhones did not end up locking to one provider.

I know it doesn't make sense to have an unlocked iPhone lock to a provider, but again, I read comments saying that it happens.

discuit

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
omg. GET REAL. :rolleyes:
Real world testing with my 1901 on FiOS wifi just gave me 380/366 Mbps. And this is the “slow” 1901 intel modem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2365947377
Do you not understand the difference between Wifi and LTE? A wifi speedtest is totally irrelevant to what we are discussing here. I'd expect similar performance between the chips on 802.11ac wifi with MIMO. Where they diverge is working with cell towers...

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Do you not understand the difference between Wifi and LTE? A wifi speedtest is totally irrelevant to what we are discussing here. I'd expect similar performance between the chips on 802.11ac wifi with MIMO. Where they diverge is working with cell towers...
Do you not understand the same modem is used for both wireless and cellular? :rolleyes:

By the way, I get about 45 Mbps through cellular. That’s the slow modem. Doesn’t sound like it’s struggling, does it?

Your point?

Last edited: