iPhone X Models With Qualcomm Modem Still Have Faster LTE Speeds Than Those With Intel Modems

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Are the carriers allowing the max speed or capping it.
Does it really matter to the masses?
Only if you're in a weak signal area frequently. CDMA used to have an advantage for those working within office buildings. However, today most large buildings are full of repeaters.
I've been in a couple rural areas and have not had issues with calls even down to 1 bar GSM LTE on my Intel 8 Plus. Intel will be up to speed by this time next year. Besides, next years phones will have either Intel, or Broadcom Modems. ;)

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
omg. GET REAL. :rolleyes:

I think you missed the most important part of the article:

“Qualcomm's Snapdragon X16 is a gigabit-class modem that supports 4x4 MIMO, for example, but the functionality is disabled in the iPhone X. The result is that both the Qualcomm and Intel versions of the iPhone X have a peak theoretical download speed of 600 Mbps in most countries.”

This is the inherent problem with articles like this. Everyone’s iPhone X was fine until they read this article and discovered they might have an inferior modem. Suddenly there’s nerd outrage as they feel they’ve been cheated and want a lawsuit. Calm down people.

Then we have the others saying “in your face” because they have the QUALCOMM modem.

Real world testing with my 1901 on FiOS wifi just gave me 380/366 Mbps. And this is the “slow” 1901 intel modem.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2365947377
I BET I COULD HAVE GOTTEN 381/367 Mbps ON A QUALCOMM MODEM. :D

rugmankc

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
Last year when we got a 7 Plus for my husband and our teen (and me, eventually) we paid in full at the Apple store and got a sim free Qualcomm modem. Sound quality on calls sucked anyway. Everyone was always complaining that we sound like we are at the bottom of a barrel and talking with marbles in our mouths when we call from our iPhones. So we ended up using our Android phones for voice calls. We are AT&T customers.

This time for our X’s we had no choice but to get the AT&T Intel phones. Though I suppose my husband could have gotten me the Verizon model and put my AT&T sim into it. But he didn’t bother. We still sound like crap compared to how we sound on our Samsung phones. But we sound like less crappy crap. We are marginally more clear in terms of being heard and in terms of hearing our callers. So as far as I’m concerned right now, Intel is fine. Get back to me in a couple of months when I’m on the road trying to hold onto a weak signal and then maybe I’ll be salty.
Sorry about the voice issues. But, I had Androids for years. TMO and AT&T. They never sounded that good. All my iPhones on AT&T have sounded crystal clear. Especially since VoLTE.

daye

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Are the differences that much to choose a different phone?
[doublepost=1512159850][/doublepost]

I heard that if you do this, AT&T will lock the phone to them. Can anyone confirm this?
Why? You paid full for your device! Can they lock it ? I mean it is your device, you paid in full. I always purchase apple sim free phone and use it with my family share plan on ATT.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
You can also purchase the Sprint model in the Apple Store for full price and pop any SIM in it and it will be unlocked. Must be purchased from Apple for this to work.

I'm rocking the T-mobile $30 a month plan on my "Sprint" A1865 iPhone X
This. I wasnt sure who to go with (was with Sprint). Was advised by someone at Apple to reserve the Sprint model... but not to power it up. Verizon, T-Mobil, and AT&T were all confident i could pop their sim card in and work. I ended up choosing At&T to try out (but am on prepaid plan so can change if i want). Works fine. Qualcomm modem.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry about the voice issues. But, I had Androids for years. TMO and AT&T. They never sounded that good. All my iPhones on AT&T have sounded crystal clear. Especially since VoLTE.
My current S8+ has a lot of static for some reason. My HTC 10 was crystal clear. My S7 was pretty good.

Reactions: rugmankc

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I remember those benchmark results showing how the "Intel" outperformed the Qualcomm, which did not match up with my testing. Looks like they were wrong and must have been paid by Intel or something. This is why I did my own tests shortly after the phone was released. Would have been nice to see this article posted early on so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle testing on my own.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/starfyres-t-mobile-at-t-intel-vs-verizon-qualcomm-iphone-x-benchmarks-for-gsm-users.2084875/

I am glad those who stumbled across my post benefited from my testing however. :)

"Cellular Insights said the difference is most noticeable in very weak signal conditions, in which the iPhone X with a Qualcomm modem experienced 67 percent faster LTE download speeds on average compared to the Intel model."
I had been mislead prior to buying, and thought the Intel was superior. Fortunately i had no clue which carriers models had which, and i ended up buying a Sprint (which i took to AT&T to activate). So luckily i got the Qualcomm. I dont care about the top end... but i live in a weak signal area and having better low signal speed is huge.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
How can I find out which modem chip my phone has? Which model is Apple selling direct in Australia?

kirk.vino

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I had an AT&T iPhone X, but it went to very slow 4G in areas that my sim free 7 Plus stayed in fast LTE. I got the Verzion model of the X at full price and inserted my AT&T sim: the Qualcomm model hasn't dropped to 4G in the affected areas, and it typically shows faster LTE speeds at my home and office than the Intel model.
I hate to agree with this!
I have a X with the Intel modem on T-Mobile. It’s worse than my 6S that had the Qualcomm chip. It’s most obvious on the NYC subway where the X drops to 4G a lot. T-Mobile’s 4G in NYC is a joke: they should’ve called it Edge or GPRS lol
Subjectively, the X has a weaker signal too and I blame it on the Intel modem!

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
In China for example, all iPhone X are Qualcomm. No model lottery because the users are more sensitive to performance.
That is not correct.

The reason China gets the Qualcomm model is because China Mobile’s 3G network is a proprietary TD-SCDMA technology that is only available in the Qualcomm chips.

Australia and New Zealand are one of the only GSM only countries that import the Qualcomm modem because we can take advantage of the higher LTE speeds offered.

kirk.vino

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for the last several months, the difference is also there with the 8+
I agree with both comments as I have a X and I used to have an 8 Plus. The difference is definently there! My 6S with Qualcomm performed better than both! In low signal areas it’s very apparent!
I wish I had waited and bought a Verizon X instead.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Ive got a iPhone X 256GB (UK) with model A1901 (Intel XMM 7480 modem)...

I'm trying to figure out how to return (A1901) for Qualcomm's Snapdragon X16 modem (A1865), :( my 14-days return policy is expired.

I will have to figure out how to get the replacement somehow - if you got any loopholes please do share with us :D

Reactions: anoobis

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Qualcomm clearly has better LTE performance. I want the best phone available. That is why I have an iPhone X. I really don't care about Qualcomm's and Apple's dispute. They both overcharge. If Apple decides to use inferior chips then I will consider another phone.
Yeah but you won’t. We all know it.

The two are rated equally in real world tests, whether that’s natural or capped it doesn’t matter. You wouldn’t even know there was this thing if you hadn’t seen the story — because it simply doesn’t matter to anyone but the very angry.

Reactions: deanthedev

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
That is not correct.

The reason China gets the Qualcomm model is because China Mobile’s 3G network is a proprietary TD-SCDMA technology that is only available in the Qualcomm chips.

Australia and New Zealand are one of the only GSM only countries that import the Qualcomm modem because we can take advantage of the higher LTE speeds offered.
China Unicom is a GSM carrier just like AT&T.

Apple could sell separate models for China Mobile and China Unicom. But they don’t.

Consumers in Asia are more sensitive to specs and performance than in the U.S. It makes sense for Apple to use cheaper Intel modems as long as consumers don’t care about the performance.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Put some walls in between the signal too.

Two iPhone 7 and two iPhone X devices (phones for both my wife and I) with Intel modems simply get no signal at all in ANY large building where I had a signal in all iPhones previous. Multiple Target stores, multiple Wal-Marts, multiple grocery stores. Any store that is the size of a grocery store or larger, loses all service completely. I have to rely on the store’s WiFi, which is usually congested.

As far as cellular signal goes, these are the worst phones I’ve ever owned, going all the way back to flip phone days. It’s crazy, I’ll have no signal in the center of a store and 3 bars LTE right outside the front door.

I’ve got this $1400 phone and I have to stand in front of a store to finish a phone call when I could be shopping at the same time. I’m a food photographer so I’m on the phone with clients and shopping for ingredients all the time.

kirk.vino

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Put some walls in between the signal too.

Two iPhone 7 and two iPhone X devices (phones for both my wife and I) with Intel modems simply get no signal at all in ANY large building where I had a signal in all iPhones previous. Multiple Target stores, multiple Wal-Marts, multiple grocery stores. Any store that is the size of a grocery store or larger, loses all service completely. I have to rely on the store’s WiFi, which is usually congested.

As far as cellular signal goes, these are the worst phones I’ve ever owned, going all the way back to flip phone days. It’s crazy, I’ll have no signal in the center of a store and 3 bars LTE right outside the front door.

I’ve got this $1400 phone and I have to stand in front of a store to finish a phone call when I could be shopping at the same time. I’m a food photographer so I’m on the phone with clients and shopping for ingredients all the time.
I hear ya!
I wish I had realized it when I was still within my 14-return window. I have an X with the Intel modem on T-Mobile and the performance is much worse than my previous 6S Plus that had the Qualcomm chip. I’ve never had anything remotely like that with the 6S Plus. In my office building I walk to the kitchen, which is in the back of the building, where my 6S Plus didn’t have a single hiccup, but the X can barely maintain 1-2 bars and the download speeds drop like crazy!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Cellular Insights were on Qualcomm‘s payroll last year ...
Do you have proof of this claim?

And after all, the equipment you need for these kinds of tests is so expensive that a niche website like that couldn‘t get it from ad revenue alone.
They didn't buy the equipment. Rohde & Schwarz loans it to them in return for being mentioned.

Last edited:

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
China Unicom is a GSM carrier just like AT&T.

Apple could sell separate models for China Mobile and China Unicom. But they don’t.
If you look at all other countries, we all get one model of iPhone designed to take best advantage of all the networks on offer. For example, Japan only has one CDMA network (KDDI) but they sell the Qualcomm model regardless on which carrier.

This is more of stock control and reducing SKUs rather than people’s demand for faster devices.