Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yield rates for some iPhone X components have improved and become more stable, allowing for shipments of the upcoming smartphone to grow substantially after October, according to sources from Apple's supply chain.

Yesterday it was reported that Apple manufacturer Foxconn has started shipping its first iPhone X units from its main plant in Zhengzhou, China. The same sources are now reporting improved production yield rates for key parts such as the 3D sensing modules, signaling the first positive indicator from suppliers previously struggling to meet Apple's demand.

iphone-x-trio-view-800x320.jpg
The first batch of iPhone X devices has already been shipped out from Foxconn Electronics' site in Zhengzhou (Henan, China), said the sources. With production yield rates for certain key components such as 3D sensing modules improving, shipments of the device have increased gradually and will meet Apple's demand ahead of the Christmas and New Year's holidays, the sources indicated.
DigiTimes quoted sources at analog IC vendors who said that chip deliveries for the iPhone X have been on schedule up to now, with orders fulfilled on time for the device in the third quarter. The same sources claimed they were not aware of any production delays or shipment cutbacks, contradicting media reports and analyst claims of supply issues, particularly with respect to tricky-to-manufacture 3D sensing modules used in Apple's new TrueDepth camera.

Chip orders for the iPhone X are now expected to grow through the fourth quarter of 2017, before slowing down in the first quarter of the following year, said the sources.

At the same time however, other supply chain sources have sounded a note of caution over the late availability of the iPhone X and worries about pre-order demand for the device outstripping supply, with a supply/demand balance not achievable until the first quarter of 2018.

There are some suggestions that iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus sales have been lower than expected, as the public bides their time until the more feature-rich iPhone X hits stores, although with no actual sales figures at hand, this is still purely speculation.

Pre-orders for the iPhone X start on Friday, October 27, with the device's official launch the following Friday, November 3.

Article Link: iPhone X Parts Suppliers Reportedly on Schedule to Meet 2017 Production Demand

truskino

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
Come on guys (y’all, from Engadget to MacRumors to Mashable and so on), please stop this meaningless rumor mill, nobody knows a damn thing on chain supply and despite of this everybody seemingly need to follow and forward these “reports” based on a profound lack of veritable informations, all contradictory second by second, nothing concrete, with a generous dose of "reportedly" here and there.

- YESTERDAY: “Apple is doooooooooooomed”

- TODAY: “everything’s fineeeeee”.

Massive improvements from a cataclysmic report THROUGH. A. SINGLE. DAY.

Is ANYBODY really thinking there’s somebody over here (a very broad “here”, not specifically MacRumors) holding his/her [redacted-but-you-know-the-word] on this matter?

This is ridiculous. Really.
Please, stop writing about the nothingness: it's exhausting.

Sometimes it's a sign of quality and professionality to NOT say that "reportedly" happened something. And news outlet like Engadget, The Verge or clickbait-and-ads-in-chief-Mashable are not a guarantee, too. Distinguish yourself, guys.

Thank you and sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

This is a major redesign. We don't have to be guinea pigs.

Good for you

Please everyone follow this example ....... That way i wont have to get up at 3am to pre-order and still get the phone on launch day (and if something is wrong with it, i just exchange it ... But i anyway never had an issue with my launch day phone, and i do this every year)

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

Add the fact iOS11 needs to get ironed out even more and iPhone X will come with it out of the box.

This has tick model (4/5/6 Plus) -gate issues written all over it. But a $1000-$1200+ iPhone just to be first to own a potentially laggy af, only 3gb RAM, iPhone flagship could be worth it enough for some buyers.

I knew the limited supply talk is just to help the lackluster 8 sales. And perhaps the X really won't sell that well and only YouTubers and sites like this are the ones magnifying the X hype.

This isn't 2010-2012 anymore. Early-bird eagerness and excitement for launch day iPhones died out years ago.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
It no longer matters to me. I decided to get an 8 Plus. I am sure I would have loved the X but I don't really care for the "notch"; I think the edge to edge is underwhelming in it's design/aesthetics; and I am ambivalent towards Face ID/3 D cameras.
Plus, I wanted an unlocked phone and I doubt it will be easy to find an unlocked device anytime in the near future.
FWIW, I am very pleased with the 8 Plus coming from an iPhone 6. The 8 should last me 3 to 4 years if I need it to assuming no physical damage.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It no longer matters to me. I decided to get an 8 Plus. I am sure I would have loved the X but I don't really care for the "notch"; I think the edge to edge is underwhelming in it's design/aesthetics; and I am ambivalent towards Face ID/3 D cameras.
Plus, I wanted an unlocked phone and I doubt it will be easy to find an unlocked device anytime in the near future.
FWIW, I am very pleased with the 8 Plus coming from an iPhone 6. The 8 should last me 3 to 4 years if I need it to assuming no physical damage.

That's still a big upgrade coming from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8. Definitely enough capabilities and features to appreciate the upgrade. And with Apple releasing the iPhone 8, you still have access to touch ID for those who were not interested in Face ID.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

Its not really "major" Its a slight redesign. Its not like they went from an iPhone 3g to an iPhone 4 now...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
What about the 8? I've been waiting almost a month to get my Space Grey 8/256 from a telco here in Australia!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
lol. when it's a report of production shortages, you have many of the people saying "sure, i'll believe some random internet article." But when it is the same type of random internet article saying production will meet demand, it is celebration.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Why I'm waiting for next years model. To get one, people will have to order within milliseconds of pre-orders opening, and from what I've read regarding production issues, I certainly wouldn't want one of the first batch off the production line. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ

I’m waiting until the 11 to come out next year hoping for more ram, pro motion, faster wireless charging like most Samsung do (faster then 7.5 w) and a larger phone then the X

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

plz do so, i buy from day 1, and if there anything wrong i will exchange, again and again, and this way i have the iPhone X to play with and maybe if i dont like it, instead of exchange it i will ask for refund

Reactions: volcomvenom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.