Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
It no longer matters to me. I decided to get an 8 Plus. I am sure I would have loved the X but I don't really care for the "notch"; I think the edge to edge is underwhelming in it's design/aesthetics; and I am ambivalent towards Face ID/3 D cameras.
Plus, I wanted an unlocked phone and I doubt it will be easy to find an unlocked device anytime in the near future.
FWIW, I am very pleased with the 8 Plus coming from an iPhone 6. The 8 should last me 3 to 4 years if I need it to assuming no physical damage.
Yeah, I got the 8+ its a great phone!
I might trade to the X, we'll see. So far the huge 8+ isn't as humongous in the hand as I thought it would be!
The naysayers keep calling the 8 a minimal upgrade but I have friends with the 7 + and there are a lot
of extras on the 8+..eye of the beholder I guess, cheers!

Reactions: artfossil

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Pro Motion on the iPad uses a LCD screen; what makes you think Pro Motion would work on an OLED screen or if such a screen needs/benefits from it?
I’d imagine pro motion wouldn’t make a different on an oled which already has no lag like lcd
[doublepost=1508284029][/doublepost]
Yeah, I got the 8+ its a great phone!
I might trade to the X, we'll see. So far the huge 8+ isn't as humongous in the hand as I thought it would be!
The naysayers keep calling the 8 a minimal upgrade but I have friends with the 7 + and there are a lot
of extras on the 8+..eye of the beholder I guess, cheers!
What lot of extras?

Reactions: WatchFromAfar

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Steve Jobs created the best devices and Tim Cook has mastered the fine art of making world's most expensive computers virtually disposable.

This means we can probably expect the new 2018 lineup to implement the new design across the board....unless Apple, seeing the opportunity to massively upsell a release, decides to repeat a similar two-tier debut.

Put my hands on a new iPhone 8/8+ yesterday and much to my surprise these phones are the best looking/handling iPhones ever!! The slim glass sandwich with rounded edges feels great in the hand and even the forehead/chin isn't any more annoying than the sensor notch on the X. I'm pleasantly surprised that these phones are much more impressive in person than seeing images online.

Maybe the sensor notch won't be nearly so bad in reality as is looks in print. But, at this point I can't justify the extra expense for the X as the feature differences are not worth the substantial premium IMO. I understand they are able to overcharge because the market will stand the extreme pricing and it's an opportunity for them to ride the supply/demand curve to the bank. Cook being the bean counter he is will no doubt relish the windfall that will envitably gorge the Apple coffers.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Did some of you forget you have a year warranty immediately and a 2 year warranty with Apple Care+? Reading comments that are " i have a 2 month window on new iPhones" "I'm waiting until they work the issues out before i buy" Why? If you get a iPhoneX that is a "first batch" and has an issue you walk into a store and walk out with a new phone..
Just haters.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

This is a major redesign. We don't have to be guinea pigs.

With any issues with Apple products (or any other products) I take them back and get it replaced. Pretty simple really. And this process with Apple for me have been dead easy. So when I pay £1000 I can guarantee you I won't settle for anything less then great working device. So no guinea pig drama here. And yes, I will try to get this X on the first day.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
With any issues with Apple products (or any other products) I take them back and get it replaced. Pretty simple really. And this process with Apple for me have been dead easy. So when I pay £1000 I can guarantee you I won't settle for anything less then great working device. So no guinea pig drama here. And yes, I will try to get this X on the first day.

you are fortunate to live in a place that handles returns and replacements well i guess.
in some countries this can be less comfortable, with long waiting time, more hassle..

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
you are fortunate to live in a place that handles returns and replacements well i guess.
in some countries this can be less comfortable, with long waiting time, more hassle..

Actually you are right. We do take for granted some privileges we have and assume everyone in the world does.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
It sucks for AT&T folks that there is no unlocked iPhone X available yet. I get why they are doing it, but it still sucks. Not that I'd buy one anyway at that price point and without gigabit LTE. Going to be interesting to see what happens next year. I'd be surprised if they go entirely with the X-like design until 2019 at the earliest. Hopefully there is an iPhone 9.
[doublepost=1508342712][/doublepost]
I understand they are able to overcharge because the market will stand the extreme pricing and it's an opportunity for them to ride the supply/demand curve to the bank. Cook being the bean counter he is will no doubt relish the windfall that will envitably gorge the Apple coffers.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't charge $1199 as the starting price, and make all of them 256GB, since the larger the storage, with that built into the price/value proposition, the higher their margins. People would still pay it, and the price wouldn't have caused lost sales, since they would just pick those folks up on the 8/8 Plus.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
I'm ok with weeks. It's months that I'm scared of!

Yes while getting on the opening day would be nice if I can get before mid December I may still keep my order, but into several months of 2018 I will cancel and just enjoy my 7 Plus for rest of second year and then keep as a backup for whatever I upgrade to next fall.

Looking forward to the fun next week ;-)

Reactions: Jayright99

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Tried to scare people into buying the 8 by thinking they'd never get a X. Now that it's close to the X, surprise!

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Add the fact iOS11 needs to get ironed out even more and iPhone X will come with it out of the box.

This has tick model (4/5/6 Plus) -gate issues written all over it. But a $1000-$1200+ iPhone just to be first to own a potentially laggy af, only 3gb RAM, iPhone flagship could be worth it enough for some buyers.

I knew the limited supply talk is just to help the lackluster 8 sales. And perhaps the X really won't sell that well and only YouTubers and sites like this are the ones magnifying the X hype.

This isn't 2010-2012 anymore. Early-bird eagerness and excitement for launch day iPhones died out years ago.

"Laggy" and "iPhone" are two words that cant really be used together...That obviously goes for the 7..But also the 6S..And also the 6. Grab yourself a galaxy S6 if you want to experience some good ole' fashion lag.

You're right, it's not 2010 or 2012...It's 2017. And the iPhone X will definitely break sales records. And there's a good chance it will be the best selling iPhone of all time.

Im just gonna keep this post in my pocket until launch weekend.

Reactions: JPIndustrie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.