Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Digitimes are supply chain experts. They’re very good with that stuff. What they’re bad at is interpreting it to mean what kind of products Apple is working on. In the case of iPhone X, I’d put weight on this report.
The only thing Digitimes is good at is being ClickBait artists IMHO. They have a very bad proven track record.

Reactions: Chupa Chupa

ravenstar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
This happens during every iphone release. Apple puts out fake news that supplies are low to drive up the demand.

There's probably millions of iphone stockpiles sitting in a warehouse some where.

Really? I haven't seen any news from Apple one way or another. Where are you seeing news from Apple? Or are you confusing the "guesses" by professional "analysts" with news reports from Apple?

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I love the "Apple does this to drive up demand" posts.

It's better not to trust anyone, than to trust everyone. The latter will get you broke, or even dead.

Then again, nuts is no fun :D

Last edited:

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I normally pre-order the new iPhones, but I'm waiting this year for two reasons: 1) Radical re-design...let the initial wave of production get into the hands of millions and see what the issues are 2) I actually want to hold the phone in my hand before I decide to buy. I have had the Plus versions and love the big screen. I think I will love having the same screen size in a smaller form factor, but I won't know until I can handle one in the apple store.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Actually, if you would fact check, they average 2 flights per day. Not that it matters as this report is simply damage control. :apple:

OK if you say so. I just did some search and it showed a LOT of UPS planes flying in real-time to/from China. Then I looked at this from UPS themselves and note this claim: "210 weekly flights connecting China to the U.S., Europe and across Asia" but, per your knowledge, I'll assume that's up to 24 flights by UPS to the US and the other approx. 186 flights are ONLY to Europe & Asia (not like the U.S. is some big market buying Chinese-made-stuff in volume). I'll assume you know what you write as more factual than what even UPS claims themselves.

And then there's stuff like this touting how Apple also utilizes other plane options...

"The process starts in China, where pallets of iPhones are moved from factories in unmarked containers accompanied by a security detail. The containers are then loaded onto trucks and shipped via pre-bought airfreight space, including on old Russian military transports. The journey ends in stores..."

I'm guessing Russian military transports don't count as UPS flights.

Then, there's the concept that pretty much everything I've ever bought from Apple that was rushed to me from China was delivered by FEDEX. And note this quote from Forbes...

"[The FEDEX] planes can make the 15-hour flight from China to the main U.S. hub for freight shipments in Memphis, Tennessee, without refueling, Jindel said. The 777s can carry about 450,000 iPhones"​

And then there's the whole concept of Apple not needing much next day delivery yet, so what if they use giant shipping containers by sea too?

In short: I'm just not quite buying that Apple is constrained to 150K units per day due to "UPS having only 1 or 2 flights per day from China." If UPS is actually constrained to so little air freight from China, I have to believe that Apple would use others and a combination of shipping methods this far before they have to deliver even 1 unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasErin

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

This is a major redesign. We don't have to be guinea pigs.

I buy every new iPhone model that comes out. I have never felt like a guinea pig or had issues from being an “early adopter”.

Reactions: <==BlackBird==>

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Don't worry. Once in hand, the notch will be spun into some kind of genius decision by the Apple faithful- even a tangible feature. And they'll pound the gripers over the head so much about it that eventually they'll stamp out the gripes in sheer volume.

Remember the headphone jack.

Remember touchID.

Remember flush camera modules.

Remember useful ports (in the present) on Macs.

Remember MagSafe.

Etc.

I'm convinced Apple could make the next phone out of used, rusty razor blades and this crowd would soon be spinning the benefits of regular blood letting every time it's used. I predict the notch will be a genius, Apple-knows-best feature by about late November... probably even taking harsh pokes at those with notch-less screens on phones as if they are missing out on another "the future" innovation(?).

Last edited by a moderator:

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
If it is true, it is good news! :) I am looking forward to pre-order an iPhone X next week Friday. I have been ordering a new iPhone every year since the 3GS. I am not too scared of issues on the first batch-models.

Reactions: bunnicula

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I've been an early adopter since the iPhone 3G days. This one, I'm happy to wait it out.

Started with the original... bought all the others at launch... buying this one, too.

I see no reason not to. It's a phone and it's been tested. It's not like Apple launched the "iPhone Internal" this year and I have to have it implanted under my skin.

If I don't like it, it'll go back to the store.

:D

Reactions: <==BlackBird==>

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Started with the original... bought all the others at launch... buying this one, too.

I see no reason not to. It's a phone and it's been tested. It's not like Apple launched the "iPhone Internal" this year and I have to have it implanted under my skin.

It's not been tested by consumers yet. And that's what I'm waiting to see, especially the big bet on FaceID.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have never minded not having a headphone jack. I did find the sunken jack on the first iPhone annoying and I had to get an adapter to use the thing until manufacturers started making decent earbuds that would fit it.

I like TouchID and my experiences with it have been generally positive. It's a technology that has improved over time. Even in the 5s, mine worked well most of the time and I had a long passcode due to my company's requirements for a long passcode, so even having TouchID work 80% of the time was better than me having to type my passcode in constantly.

Flush camera modules have never been a requirement for me. If the camera works and it's not protruding so much that I cannot easily take my phone in and out of my pocket, I'm good. So far, all the camera modules do not stick out further than most cases, so no biggie.

I do miss the USB ports on Macs.

Indifferent re: MagSafe.

Point being... things that are HUGE to one person aren't so huge to another. It's not about being Apple apologists. If they do something I don't like, I'll say so. I still think iTunes is one crappy piece of software. It always has been. I find that baffling since Apple was so proud of the iPod.

I didn't like the notch when I thought Apple was going to make it white and have it right there on the front, ruining the look of the screen. In black? I do not care. It's no different than having had a bezel at the top or bottom. Eh.
[doublepost=1508254121][/doublepost]
It's not been tested by consumers yet. And that's what I'm waiting to see, especially the big bet on FaceID.

I figure I'll test it myself. If I hate it, back it goes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Wow, someone who sits in the middle with their own opinion, able to both praise Apple when they like something Apple is doing and pan Apple when they don't like some Apple decision: how novel.

I'll enjoy reading your posts in the future. Personally, I find those that can actually "think different" (rather than always tow the company line or always pan anything from the company) offer the best posts in these forums.

Reactions: bunnicula

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if there's no shortages then on Friday i can just walk into the store and buy one..ok sounds like a plan! :rolleyes:

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver

The exact same thing was said about TouchID. And 3D Touch. And the first 64bit processor. Seems like there’s always some reason to “hold off” buying. And they never pan out.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
The exact same thing was said about TouchID. And 3D Touch. And the first 64bit processor. Seems like there’s always some reason to “hold off” buying. And they never pan out.

Not the same analogy at all. TouchID and 3D Touch were add-ons, they may have caused scepticism but nothing had to be removed for them to work. And the 64-bit processor didn't jumble app performance out of the box, until iOS 11 made them incompatible.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
iPhone X!

3e586c9dffcca6d12284388ded3966e7.jpg

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Artificially created crisis To hype Iphone X

Yes! It was artificial hype to sell more Iphone 8 before Iphone X
[doublepost=1508256985][/doublepost]I think Apple might have setup another factory in 2 weeks to produce iphone X with beutiful Notch! What a notch that is hence they are able to meet demand HAHAHA

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wake up every morning hoping it's the day to pre-order or launch day... sigh... still waiting...

The preordering will be insanity. I look forward to see how long ship dates are for those who pre-order immediately and those who don't pre-order. I still think there will be a large number of individuals receiving their iPhones on launch day.

Reactions: TimeSquareDesi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.