Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
This is of course entirely anecdotal, and no real conclusions can be drawn from it... but my wife and I stopped off at a Sprint affiliate store last night to get her an iPhone 8, and they did indeed have a limited supply -- which did not include any 64GB units, unless we wanted to go up to an iP 8+. Since either way there was going to be a markup from the base price, she opted for the 256GB iP 8.

It's very fast, compared to my aging iP 6, but I can bide my time for the iP X.

........... I think.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Been telling you guys "production issues" are just another way of saying "we don't actually know" and Apple can ramp production like you wouldn't believe.

Sure, iPhone X is more complex, but this company shipped 231M smartphones in a year. That's 632,000 per DAY.

I bet most of what we've read about iPhone X production is fake news. Sure, it will be constrained, but it's going to move quickly to get ready for Xmas. And believe me, this year will be Xmas.

See what I did there?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Been telling you guys "production issues" are just another way of saying "we don't actually know" and Apple can ramp production like you wouldn't believe.

Sure, iPhone X is more complex, but this company shipped 231M smartphones in a year. That's 632,000 per DAY.

I bet most of what we've read about iPhone X production is fake news. Sure, it will be constrained, but it's going to move quickly to get ready for Xmas. And believe me, this year will be Xmas.

See what I did there?
Tenmas? Or Chimas?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So, Foxconn has shipped its first UPS 747 full of X’s 16 days prior to the start of deliveries. Each aircraft can hold 150,000 phones if really pushed.

Yup. Gonna be tens of millions ready on 11-3. :rolleyes:

I can't comment on UPS's capabilities but IIRC in addition to using regularly scheduled delivery service flights Apple chartered cargo jets leading up to the launch of the iPhone 6 to ferry iPhones to major markets. From there ground services delivered the phones to buyers on launch day.

Whether Apple has adequate sensors or whatever to build enough Xs to satisfy launch demand, who can say. But once manufactured and packaged Apple knows how to get product into the hands of buyers as quick as possible. That part no one should be concerned about.

MarcMller

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Did some of you forget you have a year warranty immediately and a 2 year warranty with Apple Care+? Reading comments that are " i have a 2 month window on new iPhones" "I'm waiting until they work the issues out before i buy" Why? If you get a iPhoneX that is a "first batch" and has an issue you walk into a store and walk out with a new phone..

Jayright99

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2014
Euclid, Ohio
Did some of you forget you have a year warranty immediately and a 2 year warranty with Apple Care+? Reading comments that are " i have a 2 month window on new iPhones" "I'm waiting until they work the issues out before i buy" Why? If you get a iPhoneX that is a "first batch" and has an issue you walk into a store and walk out with a new phone..
SOOOOOOOO True! I got one of the first batch of the iPhone 6 Pluses. My phone got hot and shut off and would not come back on, they replaced it for free. THE SAME THING happened again a few months later, they replaced it a second time. Because it was a manufacturer defect and I was within my year warranty I was able to walk out with a brand new phone twice. I've never bought Apple Care because I replace my phone every single year. I do keep the mobile protection plan from AT&T but I'm thinking about getting rid of that too! I've NEVER had to use it....................am I jinxing myself?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

This is a major redesign. We don't have to be guinea pigs.
Exactly, some of the people posting here will become beta testers this time around when they get their X. Hopefully, the issues won't be too bad/widespread and won't diminish their experience too much. At worst, a quick trip to the Apple Store for a replacement that doesn't have the issue.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Wow, someone who sits in the middle with their own opinion, able to both praise Apple when they like something Apple is doing and pan Apple when they don't like some Apple decision: how novel.

I'll enjoy reading your posts in the future. Personally, I find those that can actually "think different" (rather than always tow the company line or always pan anything from the company) offer the best posts in these forums.

Thank you. I have never understood praising things about Apple that you don't like. Apple isn't paying my rent. ;)

I love a good many of their product offerings and have been a loyal user for years, but that doesn't mean I think they're perfect.

In fact, I daresay they learn a good bit more about honest critiques of their products than they do people fawning. They know how they're doing with regard to positive sentiment and sales. What they do not know is whether or not people would like to see a feature added or changed.

:)
[doublepost=1508261309][/doublepost]
Exactly, some of the people posting here will become beta testers this time around when they get their X. Hopefully, the issues won't be too bad/widespread and won't diminish their experience too much. At worst, a quick trip to the Apple Store for a replacement that doesn't have the issue.

A good many of us are already beta testers for Apple operating systems, anyway. I've been on 11 for months.

Which reminds me. I need to DL v3.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You hear that, pre-order people? No need to stay up midnight PST for the pre-order ... just go ahead and sleep and take care of it in the morning. :D

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Personally I'd wait a couple of months to make sure Apple (and suppliers) have ironed out obvious manufacturing issues.

This is a major redesign. We don't have to be guinea pigs.
I think I've come to the conclusion that this is my single most hated comment people leave on MacRumors. You're not testing a new drug, it's a freaking cellphone. If it has a problem, you bring it back and get a new one for free...
[doublepost=1508262951][/doublepost]
Add the fact iOS11 needs to get ironed out even more and iPhone X will come with it out of the box.

This has tick model (4/5/6 Plus) -gate issues written all over it. But a $1000-$1200+ iPhone just to be first to own a potentially laggy af, only 3gb RAM, iPhone flagship could be worth it enough for some buyers.

I knew the limited supply talk is just to help the lackluster 8 sales. And perhaps the X really won't sell that well and only YouTubers and sites like this are the ones magnifying the X hype.

This isn't 2010-2012 anymore. Early-bird eagerness and excitement for launch day iPhones died out years ago.
Anyone else want to jump on the "I will never buy an iPhone day one because it might give me cancer" train? I want to make sure I can get my phone...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It's hard to believe that Apple would go into a major launch of a new iPhone x with very limited supply Proof is that they're launching in a lot of countries on
November 3
Seems to me as the sources and journalists have turned this into Fake News for the sake of having something to write about
I'm not saying there will be an abundance of iPhone X around but then again there's always a wait to get any new iPhone. That's Apples strategy. Let people wait, get free publicity, majority of customers are not going away

Enough said, point made

TimeSquareDesi

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2013
I'm totes New Yorkian
Don't wish your life away-Enjoy each day--one at a time.

I posted that as a joke but thank you for the grounded reply. I often forget to put things into perspective :)

Have an amazing day, my friend.
[doublepost=1508265899][/doublepost]
The preordering will be insanity. I look forward to see how long ship dates are for those who pre-order immediately and those who don't pre-order. I still think there will be a large number of individuals receiving their iPhones on launch day.

I plan on preordering 2 and maybe even camping out on nov 2....... just so i can get my grubby paws on one sooner than later........ im also signing up for the apple upgrade program too this time around.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Uh, a UPS 747 can hold over a million iPhones. Not sure how you came up with only 150,000.

Please read slowly when you arrive at the last two paragraphs. 200,000 max. Most have 150,000. :apple:

https://www.flexport.com/blog/how-many-iphones-can-fit-in-a-747/
[doublepost=1508266716][/doublepost]
OK if you say so. I just did some search and it showed a LOT of UPS planes flying in real-time to/from China. Then I looked at this from UPS themselves and note this claim: "210 weekly flights connecting China to the U.S., Europe and across Asia" but, per your knowledge, I'll assume that's up to 24 flights by UPS to the US and the other approx. 186 flights are ONLY to Europe & Asia (not like the U.S. is some big market buying Chinese-made-stuff in volume). I'll assume you know what you write as more factual than what even UPS claims themselves.

And then there's stuff like this touting how Apple also utilizes other plane options...

"The process starts in China, where pallets of iPhones are moved from factories in unmarked containers accompanied by a security detail. The containers are then loaded onto trucks and shipped via pre-bought airfreight space, including on old Russian military transports. The journey ends in stores..."

I'm guessing Russian military transports don't count as UPS flights.

Then, there's the concept that pretty much everything I've ever bought from Apple that was rushed to me from China was delivered by FEDEX. And note this quote from Forbes...

"[The FEDEX] planes can make the 15-hour flight from China to the main U.S. hub for freight shipments in Memphis, Tennessee, without refueling, Jindel said. The 777s can carry about 450,000 iPhones"​

And then there's the whole concept of Apple not needing much next day delivery yet, so what if they use giant shipping containers by sea too?

In short: I'm just not quite buying that Apple is constrained to 150K units per day due to "UPS having only 1 or 2 flights per day from China." If UPS is actually constrained to so little air freight from China, I have to believe that Apple would use others and a combination of shipping methods this far before they have to deliver even 1 unit.

Well done. Very thorough. However, I was referring to two flights of iPhone X’s per day. Not total daily iPhone dispatches. :apple:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Actually, if you would fact check, they average 2 flights per day. Not that it matters as this report is simply damage control. :apple:
Apple charters all kinds of planes. Not just the UPS 747s, which UPS has 14 of those.

Essentially, Apple can do whatever they want to get the phones here and have proven an insane ability to get products into literally hundreds of millions of peoples' hands per year.

You're a joke to doubt them. Apple has a track record and are worth $800B at an insanely conservative valuation.

Reactions: CarlJ

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Come on guys (y’all, from Engadget to MacRumors to Mashable and so on), please stop this meaningless rumor mill, nobody knows a damn thing on chain supply and despite of this everybody seemingly need to follow and forward these “reports” based on a profound lack of veritable informations, all contradictory second by second, nothing concrete, with a generous dose of "reportedly" here and there.
Oh, sorry, it seems you were looking for MacConfirmedAndVettedNews. You've inadvertently stumbled into MacRumors.

The point of this site is to provide relatively unfiltered access to the rumors about Apple products and developments, because we, the readers of this site, are curious about such things. If you want a less crazed, more stable reporting of news about Apple, go read a mainstream site instead - when something especially important comes up, they'll mention it.

To read a site specifically geared to present every scrap of information, and then complain that you're getting every scrap of information... that's not a problem with the site, that's a problem with you.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Apple charters all kinds of planes. Not just the UPS 747s, which UPS has 14 of those.

Essentially, Apple can do whatever they want to get the phones here and have proven an insane ability to get products into literally hundreds of millions of peoples' hands per year.

You're a joke to doubt them. Apple has a track record and are worth $800B at an insanely conservative valuation.

See my prior response. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.