iPhone X Plus Said to Feature Triple-Lens Rear Camera in 2018, Despite Most Rumors Pointing to 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new report suggests that the next flagship smartphones from Apple and Samsung could be equipped with three rear-facing cameras.

[​IMG]
    A triple-lens iPhone X mockup by Martin Hajek via iDrop News

The Korea Herald claims that the so-called iPhone X Plus, the widely rumored 6.5-inch version of the iPhone X expected to be announced this September, and Samsung's next-generation Galaxy S10, likely to be released in early 2019, will both sport a trio of lenses on the backside.

The prediction about the Galaxy S10 comes from Kim Dong-won, an analyst with investment firm KB Securities, based in South Korea:
    The prediction about the iPhone X Plus is only briefly mentioned in what is otherwise a Samsung-focused report:
    While this the fourth time we've heard about an upcoming iPhone with three rear cameras, all of the earlier reports have suggested it will be a 2019 move at the earliest, so the chances this is a 2018 move seem unlikely.

Earlier this year, for example, former KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed the 6.5-inch iPhone will have a dual-lens rear camera.

[​IMG]
    Huawei P20 Pro

The Korea Herald could be right about the what, but wrong about the when. Triple-lens smartphones are only just reaching the market, starting with the Huawei P20 Pro in March, and Apple often waits to perfect a technology rather than rushing to include a feature to compete with the best possible tech specs.

In the end, 2019 could end up being the year of triple-lens smartphones, starting with the Galaxy S10 in the spring and the iPhone in the fall.

The third lens would likely enable 3x optical zoom on an iPhone for the first time, enabling users to magnify the image in the viewfinder by up to three times without a blurry reduction in quality like digital zoom. iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models feature 2x optical zoom for comparison.

The three-lens system could also enable advanced 3D sensing for augmented reality, an area in which Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed interest.

Article Link: iPhone X Plus Said to Feature Triple-Lens Rear Camera in 2018, Despite Most Rumors Pointing to 2019

2. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Throwing more hardware at us lol how about working on the software so all those "portrait effects" don't look like absolute trash.

3. bigtomato macrumors regular

Sick of the iphone...seriously unwasted power for nothing

4. L-Viz macrumors 6502

L-Viz

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

6. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Anyone else feel like the number of cameras might end up being like the number of blades on a razor, there is never enough of them.

It reminds me of the Mach 20 razor from Gillette:

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

What does "unwasted power for nothing" mean?

8. macmanmass macrumors member

macmanmass

Thats it folks. Timmy's idea on innovation is adding ANOTHER lens. Then in about 2 more years it will be Ooooh Four lenses. Cant innovate my a** is right.

9. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Sweet. Now there's hope we get 7 lenses in 2019. LOL

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

We’re going back to the Plus-size getting exclusive features, shocker...

11. macmanmass macrumors member

macmanmass

They could just figure out a way to make a zoom lens fit into that tiny space instead of using multiple prime lenses. But then again this is Tim's Apple we're talking about, not Steve's.

12. and 1989 others macrumors regular

And at what point do you decide to just buy a basic smart phone and spend the remainder of the money on a professional DSLR camera. We're under no illusion that the new xPlus will cost about £1.2k

13. macmanmass macrumors member

macmanmass

Remember this is Timmy we're talking about here. Its all about the profits and not about pushing the limits to make new features available to all. While its understandable that the size of a product can define its limitations, they still should try harder to bring the headlining new features to all new devices.

14. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

My concern is if this does mean 3D pictures the file size for a photos, and therefore the amount of data actually used on an iPhone, is probably going to explode. I’m also worried about Apple continuing to allow local backups instead of iCloud backups. I don’t know what the effect of Apple getting out of the router business is going to have on Time Machine software support and availability and the automatic backups you can do with it. Apple’s iCloud is not a cost effective backup option compared to most of its competitors, and anyone’s cloud backup isn’t practical to someone with slow internet speeds.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

I cannot wait for the iPhone X Plus and I hope it is also a bit wider .... i want my iPhone 7 Plus keyboard back and more space for videos

16. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Sounds like an X Plus exclusive. I really wish they would keep feature parity across both as more people want smaller phones, but I understand the decision here. This isn't something that would entice me to go larger so I am good so far.

17. macmanmass macrumors member

macmanmass

For photo/video guys like myself, we're going to buy a DSLR no matter what. For the everyday consumer their phones ARE their cameras. So to them its all about convenience. And to be frank I take pictures more often with my phone than any one of my DSLRS. Why? Because the best camera isn't necessary the one with all the bells and whistles, the best camera is the one that you have with you. Think about that one.

18. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

19. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Honestly. I own a DSLR camera but I barely ever use it and haven’t taken it to my last 3 long distance vacations because it is just too big and heavy. On my iPhone everything is clean and sorted. Meanwhile the photos on my DSLR memory card are still a mess from over 2 years ago

20. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Hope it isn't true.
    I have an 8+ but I'm considering going back to a smaller phone so second version of X would be perfect.
    Although I'm not a big fan of portrait effects I like the second camera and often use it just to get 2X with a good quality, and having the second camera was one of the main reason why I went for the 8+ instead of the 8.
    iPhone is really expensive, it is a shame you have to renounce to a feature just because you don't like a screen size. Next time I want to be able to pick the screen size I really like and have all the features

21. jedwards87 Suspended

Because I can't fit a DSLR in my pocket. ;)

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Given you more reason to buy the bigger model again.

23. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

It's almost like more cameras need more space, and a physically larger model allows for that.

24. iCyprus macrumors member

iCyprus

give me more screen space for videos and better battery life APPLE...PLEASE!

25. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I get that point, I just hope there’s no other surprises (like now the 6/6s had no OIS).