iPhone X prices - enough is enough

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeexperience, Sep 12, 2017.

1. tubeexperience, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

tubeexperience macrumors 68040

I don't know if anyone else is tired yet, but I am.

After three generations of more of the same (iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 7), Apple finally updated the iPhone, but jacked up the prices.

It's a damn phone.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I walk into the store with 10 Benjamin's and walk out with an iPhone X.

What makes it so much better than the previous iPhones that would warrant the price increases?

EDIT:

In the United States, Benjamin Franklin's face is on the $100 dollar bill.

Hence, a "Benjamin" is synonymous with a $100 dollar bill.

2. dad0118 macrumors member

3. Nik macrumors 6502a

There are threads about this already. Please refer to those. :)

4. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

Please preorder at least 10,000.

Make Timmy fat and happy.

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Phones are unfortunately going towards the more expensive end due to carrier installment plans and plans like the iPhone upgrade program. I have no desire to have a company constantly in my pockets for hardware. It is bad enough that I have do deal with that on the software end. $999 is simply too expensive for a phone that will be obsolete in a year.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No need for a thread. If you don't want the phone, don't get it. The same goes for any other Apple product. There are plenty of other people who will be upgrading to the X or some other model. It doesn't matter if the upgrade is justifiable in your eyes or anyone else, so long they are paying their own way.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Vote with you wallet. If it's not worth the price, don't buy. If enough people agree, it won't sell well and they'll have to rethink.

8. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

A company that didn't exist a year ago (and may not exist next week) is selling a phone for $649, so yes, the best phone on the market from the best company in the world is easily worth $999. If you don't think so then DON'T BUY ONE. The rest of the world disagrees.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

An iPhone isn't obsolete in a year. Apple doesn't force anyone to upgrade every year. People upgrade every year because they want to.

If one doesn't like Apple's direction, vote with the wallet and stop acting like a helpless victim.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Apple fans just buy what they sell without complaining. That's why they keep jacking prices. People will complain and on launch phone will sell out guaranteed. Apple would be dumb to drop the price based on that.

11. profets macrumors 601

This is where you’re wrong. It’s an extremely powerful pocketable Apple computer. And their highest end model at that. An iPhone for most people is probably not only their primary computer but quite possibly the only computer they use on a given day.

As to the price increases? They’re expanding the whole line, with prices going down and up. Simple economics.

12. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

I still buy the old fashion way:

Walk in with cash; walk out with phone.

13. sna3 macrumors member

I never pay more than $750 for a phone no matter what they offer in it . it is a PHOOOOONE !

14. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Exactly how I conduct my purchases as well. We both are not the ideal customer apparently...

People can justify the price all they want... In the end you are still paying $999 for a phone. A phone that will be obsolete in a year or less.

15. Maurier macrumors regular

Reason why they have Apple financial services to give you the illusion that you can afford it.
    I bet the vast majority of people here will order using Apple finance at 19% interests
    Then they will get behind the wheel of their leased bmw , mercedes or porsche with their new iphone x and drive back to that 2 million dollar mortgage that they call home.
    But hey as long as they look the part it's worth it.
    While really wealthy people are driving a prius using an iphone 6s and hanging out in Monaco.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's becoming a phone for the elite, this is where Apple divides upper class from lower class, a two class brand.

17. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

A phone is not like a car.

I am not going to be making monthly payments on it.

18. Danoc macrumors 6502

No need for a thread? This is an Apple forum about Apple products. Their pricing is fully debatable. It does matter.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The OP creating a thread about the new phone being more than he can or wants to spend is rather pointless, in regards to it changing what has already occurred. That is my point.

A lot of people are being so melodramatic today, you would think something serious has just happened to the entire world. Of course this kind of weeping and gnashing of teeth happens every year here.

Things aren't as complicated as many here want to make it. Vote with the wallet if you aren't happy with the latest offering, or get another Apple product.

20. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

What is so wrong with debating a topic? By that logic, the majority of threads on this forum site could be considered pointless?

21. profets macrumors 601

Well, today? Yes, they should be considered pointless.

Never seen so much short sighted complaining. Same drivel repeated over and over. Nothing wrong with debating a topic. But when nonsense is repeated incessantly and little to no logical or rational thought is put into an argument it becomes pointless. Maybe I expect too much out of the comments here at MR.

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

No problem with debating a topic. I am merely pointing out that a lot people around here today are acting like they should be entitled to any Apple product they want. And when they can't afford it, they complain about not wanting to pay that much for a product that will be obsolete in a year.

What many here are complaining about happens with any other consumer product. We can't always have what we want right way, or ever. And a lot of the people complaining are the same people that continue buying Apple year after year, only to keep playing the same "this inanimate object is boring, Apple is doomed, why did they raise the price" etc. record.

Buy within your budget. If that means you can't get the iPhone X, so what. Get a different model iPhone or even a Samsung, if that is what you can afford (you being general use).

With all the devastation happening in the U.S. right now, I think some people need to stop for a moment, and put life in its proper perspective.

23. IAmNotDonaldTrump macrumors newbie

well they have started removing useful features, which is the issue for me. I use the phone enough that the price isn't an issue, but first they remove the headphone jack and now Touch ID. Why would I spend extra for a phone that is harder to use and is missing key features? $300 premium and I can't unlock the phone when it's on my desk, or play my playlist at a party? Completly ignoring the price, it's a lot to sacrifice for an extra inch of screen, half of which is marred by a silly notch.

24. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I think the discussion of prices is a worthy one.

I can afford two iPhone X devoces very comfortably out of my monthly salary, so it’s not a problem for me, but I do recall these phones being a lot cheaper than they used to be. Looking at the progress, I’m now having to justify to myself whether the feature set warrant the prices, and with other great alternatives out there, it’s becoming less easy to.