Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I wish people would not buy it but they will ...

I just cant support it, at least add 128 GB as a base model and airpods and fast charging out of the box with a little bit more iCloud space. Their nerve ... seriously. Vote with your wallet, I hope the Euro price is gonna scare lots of people off

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Pretty sure both the 8 and the x won’t be close to obsolete in a year.

A new iPhone will be coming out next year no? With improvements to the current design? Some might be drastic improvements (multiple size X variants, cheaper price, Touch ID). In a lot of peoples minds that would make this current line of phones obsolete...

As much as I love the performance of the A11, is it really required in a phone? Wouldn't we be better served with a more power efficient processor that gets 6000 on geekbench instead of 10000 and costs less? My ideal iPhone would be one that is priced in the $400-500 range, has an ultra efficient current processor, Touch ID, OLED screen, and a "bezel-less" or reduced bezel design. I know that is never going to happen though because apple seems to have no direction beyond changing/tweaking the iPhone 6 design and charging $700-$1000 for it. And people will be happy to pay for the X because "its just $40 a month"....

Reactions: ecthomp

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I don't know if anyone else is tired yet, but I am.

After three generations of more of the same (iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 7), Apple finally updated the iPhone, but jacked up the prices.

It's a damn phone.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I walk into the store with 10 Benjamin's and walk out with an iPhone X.

What makes it so much better than the previous iPhones that would warrant the price increases?

EDIT:

In the United States, Benjamin Franklin's face is on the $100 dollar bill.

Hence, a "Benjamin" is synonymous with a $100 dollar bill.

I'm going to be devil's advocate and remind people that this is not just an Apple discussion. The Note 8 is just under $1000

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Apple has to pay for the OLED displays somehow. Samsung is the sole supplier.

And as most businesses operate, these costs are passed onto the consumer.

It's better to boycott Samsung products than Apple.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Phones are unfortunately going towards the more expensive end due to carrier installment plans and plans like the iPhone upgrade program. I have no desire to have a company constantly in my pockets for hardware. It is bad enough that I have do deal with that on the software end. $999 is simply too expensive for a phone that will be obsolete in a year.

Totally agree. I’m skipping this go around and sticking with my iPhone

Reactions: ABC5S

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Clearly, a smart phone is not the device for you then.

It's not just 'a damn phone'.

• It's a super computer in your pocket that gives you access to any bit of data you want from anywhere in the planet right now.
  • It's a high-end camera for photos and videos. For normal stills, panoramic shots, slow-mo, and time-lapse.
  • It's a world-class viewer for photos/videos/and pretty much any type of electronic media you want.
  • It gives you access to virtually all music every created by man along with most movies and tv shows.
  • It's a high-resolution GPS device that lets you know where you are and how to get to anywhere you want to go. It'll even help with traffic and construction issues.
  • It's an instant messenger that makes it trivial to communicate instantly and with photos/videos/links/map locations/etc with anyone you want.
  • It's a calendar/scheduling device that can remind you when things are coming up soon, lets you easily look up and search through years worth of dates to instantly find the event you were looking for. You can even have shared calendars with whomever (family members, etc) to coordinate events, etc.
  • It's an alarm clock with however many times/tones/repeat-patterns as you want. Also a timer and a stopwatch.
  • It's a device that has access to any social media platform you want at a moment's notice.
  • It's a device that lets you video communicate with others in high resolution, using any of the multiple cameras it has.
  • It's a device with a never-ending catalogue of apps that utilize so many aspects of the device to do wonderful things (eg. simply by 'listening' to whatever music is playing in your location, it can identify the artist, song, album, provide lyrics and even let you get the song on your device ... all within seconds). This makes your device so many things. It's an astronomer's tool (SkyGuide), it can help you find restaurants you want, help you figure out your day in DisneyLand, use it as a VNC client to remotely log in and control your computers, etc. This bullet point alone could fill pages and is one of the most powerful aspects of something like an iPhone.
  • It's a device that is a pretty kick-ass fitness tracker. This coupled with the previous bullet-point and the advent of nutrition/health/etc trackers lets you keep track of and easily manage all manner of fitness oriented goals.
  • It's a banking device, letting you quickly and easily manage finances/payments/etc.
  • ApplePay
  • It has enough horsepower to run AR apps to let you see the world with new and useful data overlaid on top of it.
  • It's a device that lets you stream just about anything from the internet and onto your other devices (eg. your tv via AppleTV)
  • It's a device that integrates and syncs up with all your other Apple devices (desktop, iPad, watch, etc) so that everything you do, you can do on whichever device you want, whenever you want, and it's all there.
  • It's a device that can be voice controlled and talk back to you.
  • It's a device that you can use to almost instantly translate from one language to another, totally by voice if you'd like.
  • It has a super high resolution display, bluetooth connection to whatever headphones/audio-devices you want, and world-class biometric security. Oh, and a flashlight.
  • Tons more.

... and it fits in your pocket.

These are just some of the things I use my iPhone for. It is not just 'a damn phone'. It's so far from being just 'a damn phone' that the term iPhone is really a misnomer these days. Indeed, I think the definition of the word 'phone' is going to change over time to incorporate the monumental number of things these devices can do.

So, really, if all you want is a phone, yeah, there are many options out there that are waaaaaay cheaper than a marquis smart phone to make phone calls with.

The OP may have overstated his opinion that "it's just a damn phone" and your post was a well-thought out reply...no one here is questioning that smartphones have a great many uses.

But all those functions you listed are possible with much cheaper phones, from Apple and Android alike. They aren't exclusive to just the expensive phones.

BTW, you meant marquee.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Clearly, a smart phone is not the device for you then.

It's not just 'a damn phone'.

• It's a super computer in your pocket that gives you access to any bit of data you want from anywhere in the planet right now.
  • It's a high-end camera for photos and videos. For normal stills, panoramic shots, slow-mo, and time-lapse.
  • It's a world-class viewer for photos/videos/and pretty much any type of electronic media you want.
  • It gives you access to virtually all music every created by man along with most movies and tv shows.
  • It's a high-resolution GPS device that lets you know where you are and how to get to anywhere you want to go. It'll even help with traffic and construction issues.
  • It's an instant messenger that makes it trivial to communicate instantly and with photos/videos/links/map locations/etc with anyone you want.
  • It's a calendar/scheduling device that can remind you when things are coming up soon, lets you easily look up and search through years worth of dates to instantly find the event you were looking for. You can even have shared calendars with whomever (family members, etc) to coordinate events, etc.
  • It's an alarm clock with however many times/tones/repeat-patterns as you want. Also a timer and a stopwatch.
  • It's a device that has access to any social media platform you want at a moment's notice.
  • It's a device that lets you video communicate with others in high resolution, using any of the multiple cameras it has.
  • It's a device with a never-ending catalogue of apps that utilize so many aspects of the device to do wonderful things (eg. simply by 'listening' to whatever music is playing in your location, it can identify the artist, song, album, provide lyrics and even let you get the song on your device ... all within seconds). This makes your device so many things. It's an astronomer's tool (SkyGuide), it can help you find restaurants you want, help you figure out your day in DisneyLand, use it as a VNC client to remotely log in and control your computers, etc. This bullet point alone could fill pages and is one of the most powerful aspects of something like an iPhone.
  • It's a device that is a pretty kick-ass fitness tracker. This coupled with the previous bullet-point and the advent of nutrition/health/etc trackers lets you keep track of and easily manage all manner of fitness oriented goals.
  • It's a banking device, letting you quickly and easily manage finances/payments/etc.
  • ApplePay
  • It has enough horsepower to run AR apps to let you see the world with new and useful data overlaid on top of it.
  • It's a device that lets you stream just about anything from the internet and onto your other devices (eg. your tv via AppleTV)
  • It's a device that integrates and syncs up with all your other Apple devices (desktop, iPad, watch, etc) so that everything you do, you can do on whichever device you want, whenever you want, and it's all there.
  • It's a device that can be voice controlled and talk back to you.
  • It's a device that you can use to almost instantly translate from one language to another, totally by voice if you'd like.
  • It has a super high resolution display, bluetooth connection to whatever headphones/audio-devices you want, and world-class biometric security. Oh, and a flashlight.
  • Tons more.

... and it fits in your pocket.

These are just some of the things I use my iPhone for. It is not just 'a damn phone'. It's so far from being just 'a damn phone' that the term iPhone is really a misnomer these days. Indeed, I think the definition of the word 'phone' is going to change over time to incorporate the monumental number of things these devices can do.

So, really, if all you want is a phone, yeah, there are many options out there that are waaaaaay cheaper than a marquis smart phone to make phone calls with.

So, it just a phone. Most cheap android phones do that too.

Reactions: moriyokiri

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
A new iPhone will be coming out next year no? With improvements to the current design? Some might be drastic improvements (multiple size X variants, cheaper price, Touch ID). In a lot of peoples minds that would make this current line of phones obsolete...

As much as I love the performance of the A11, is it really required in a phone? Wouldn't we be better served with a more power efficient processor that gets 6000 on geekbench instead of 10000 and costs less? My ideal iPhone would be one that is priced in the $400-500 range, has an ultra efficient current processor, Touch ID, OLED screen, and a "bezel-less" or reduced bezel design. I know that is never going to happen though because apple seems to have no direction beyond changing/tweaking the iPhone 6 design and charging $700-$1000 for it. And people will be happy to pay for the X because "its just $40 a month"....
The high efficiency cores on the A10 Fusion are around A8 performance, I believe. From the keynote, the HE cores on the A11 Bionic are 70% faster than on the A10 Fusion. I wouldn't be surprised if the HE cores on the A11 Bionic are around A9 which is pretty darned fast. Hmm, anyone run Geekbench 4 on 8/8+ while in low power mode?

I think it would be pretty great when A11 Bionic eventually trickles down to the lower end.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

After three generations of more of the same (iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 7), Apple finally updated the iPhone, but jacked up the prices.

It's a damn phone.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which I walk into the store with 10 Benjamin's and walk out with an iPhone X.

What makes it so much better than the previous iPhones that would warrant the price increases?

EDIT:

Enough is enough.

Stop whining. Buy a different phone. Apple will see sales numbers.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
These devices are not just phones anymore, people use them in their daily lives for all sorts of different reasons, it may not be worth it to you but to other people it is.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's fine that you don't want to buy, but Apple is a business first and foremost and can price their phone any way they want. The components, R&D, and marketing are likely higher than previous phones so it is what it is. The Note 8, which is the only comparison currently, is what? $930? For everything Apple adds, an extra $70 is well worth it. And as others have said, just don't buy it. Doesn't mean myself or anyone else is wrong for deciding to buy. No reason for another thread.
[doublepost=1507130664][/doublepost]
The cost of the iPhone X is no more then the 7+ 256 or 7+ 128gb its just slightly more per month. Its not that bad OP.

I am paying $1.20 more per month for the X than I am right now. It's nothing in my eyes.

Reactions: Dave245

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008

It's a damn phone.

EDIT:

Um you need to buy the Jelly Pro on Kickstarter at $125

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I stick to my points. Innovation, depending of the product, requires money. Unfortunately, or fortunately, there are those out there who are willing to pay for new innovation (allowing others down the line to reap the rewards of good quality products). I used to be one who thought Apples prices were ridiculous, but, you get what you pay for. I had nothing but problems when I was using Android phones. Since switching, I've benefited from what I consider a superior operating system and a device that really was made for the general person.

I also grew up with windows, and hated Macs for the longest time. several years ago I decided to bit the bullet and spend extra on a Mac laptop. I'm glad I did as I now spend less time waiting on things and more time enjoying a machine that just works.

I don't write this as a defense. I just write this as my own experience. Sometimes people have to pay extra because the quality really does require it. I'm sure Apple was not thrilled to be charging $1000+ for the phone, but I am also sure that they realized in order for them to make a profit and also continue to make a quality product down the line, they needed to price it high.
What innovation? OLED screens, wireless charging, etc have been out for a while now. The only thing really innovated with iPhone X was FaceID. Everything else is 3-5 year old technology that Android phones have already had.

Reactions: ABC5S

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The OP may have overstated his opinion that "it's just a damn phone" and your post was a well-thought out reply...no one here is questioning that smartphones have a great many uses.

But all those functions you listed are possible with much cheaper phones, from Apple and Android alike. They aren't exclusive to just the expensive phones.

Well, some of those functions are possible with much cheaper phones. And even then I would argue the experience isn't as pleasant as it is on a more polished phone with higher engineering standards and an OS that's tied intimately to the hardware.

BTW, you meant marquee.

Whoops, I did indeed! Thanks. Didn't mean to confer nobility to an iPhone. (I've fixed it)
[doublepost=1507136626][/doublepost]
So, it just a phone.

'Just a phone' just makes phone calls. Might want read through that list again, there's a ton more in there than just phone calls.

Most cheap android phones do that too.
But not as well, nor with the same level of user experience. It's akin to comparing an entry level Honda to a high-end BMW (or Corvette or whatever luxury car you dig): sure, they both offer the same core functionality, but there is a world of difference in the experience from one to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipper99

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I am paying $1.20 more per month for the X than I am right now. It's nothing in my eyes.

This is why Apple and others get away with it. People equate it to an extra $x per month and accept it.

But that $x per month still adds up to $2-300 more than it would if you bought an 8 or even a 7. And of course you could choose to not keep paying at all and just use your existing phone and then you’re saving $30-40 per month

Reactions: Zackmd1 and ABC5S

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This is why Apple and others get away with it. People equate it to an extra $x per month and accept it.

But that $x per month still adds up to $2-300 more than it would if you bought an 8 or even a 7. And of course you could choose to not keep paying at all and just use your existing phone and then you’re saving $30-40 per month

That's fine by me. I can only speak for myself, I don't find it to be a big deal. I spend money on a whole lot wore, let alone a device I use every day.

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
After reading the article about ipad pro price jacking up...due to flash drive price or whatever....yeah...they are crossing my line.
Mine was jacking up the price of AppleCare, it's like rubbing salt into the wound. Almost tempted to consider the Note 8, can get $450 trade in on either my 7 Plus or S7 edge with Verizon.

Reactions: pat500000

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
'Just a phone' just makes phone calls. Might want read through that list again, there's a ton more in there than just phone calls.

Every other phone does it too, so it is just a phone. It's common and considered novel features today. Just because a $25 raspberry pi has 10 times (made up number) the compute power of 20 year old computers, doesn't mean it's a world wonder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.