iPhone X iPhone X scratched in 4 days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alyabiev, Nov 7, 2017.

1. alyabiev macrumors newbie

alyabiev

So this happened - screen is basically ruined in 4 days of normal use. These grooves can be felt not just by a nail, but with a naked fingertip, so I assume this is not an oleophobic coating that got damaged - it's the glass itself.

I must say I've never used a screen protector of any form and never had ANY scratches on all of my previous iPhones since 3G. The last owned one - 7 plus - was constantly dropped in sand, mud, snow, rocks and dirty pockets for half a year - no dings or abrasions are present.

And before you say that I have sand im my pockets or other abrasive stuff - no I do not, I keep my clothes perfectly clean :)

I will try to contact some of the Apple Authorised Service Centers today with this problem, as I don't have any official ones in Moscow, and I'm also hoping to receive any kind of help and advice from here too!

Two deep grooves on the right side of the screen:
    x1.jpg

Tons of micro-abrasions in the top right corner:
    x3.jpg

Half year old and literally abused 7 plus VS 4 day old X:
    x2.jpg

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Some may experience this and some won’t. But in the future, maybe you want to consider a protector.

3. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

4. takaiguchi macrumors member

takaiguchi

I️ have a scratch on mine too. Have no idea where it came from. I️ don’t keep anything else in that pocket.

5. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I dropped my phone face first onto the floor. I usually hold it or keep it in my wristlet (with paper, passport, etc...things that are non abrasive as you say).

That hasn’t happened to me yet *knockonwood* and I’ve never used screen protectors and I’ve owned every version of the iPhone both regular and S since 3G...traded in my iPhone 7+ for this X actually on iup (just joined last year).

I’ve also had mine since Nov 3rd.

I’m sorry that happened to you, but I don’t think it’s an X thing.

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I got Apple care plus for my 8 for this reason.

7. alyabiev thread starter macrumors newbie

alyabiev

I never put a phone with something else in a pocket, not even with a piece of paper.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Unfortunately, AppleCare is not available in my country.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Glad that your screen is alrigth! :)
    I will try to convince the service man, that it is a defect screen - it should not be able to scratch THAT easily in this short period of time.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The reality is this, something caused those scratches to appear. Something either rubbed or had contact to cause the scratches. Either you were aware of it or you were not, but regardless, they just don't appear without having some type of impact. And just because you're comparing your iPhone 7+ versus the iPhone X, every situation is different and what could have impacted the display and how it scratched initially.

Those micro abrasions at the top right corner, look like the dislay rubbed up against a hard surface.

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Which doesn’t cover cosmetic damage. So therefore, this wouldn’t be covered anyway.

10. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

That's what you call normal use ?

those scratches are not from normal use, and with any luck you will pay the full amount to have the screen replaced :)

I did not know it was possible to make a screen that is incapable of scratching the first 2 weeks o_O

11. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

Looks like you have sand in your pocket. SAND.

12. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Normal use and fabric from clothes does not cause that no matter what the OP claims. Whatever caused that would have had to be from a harder material than the glass itself.

I have owned every iPhone released and the first I broke the screen on was the iPhone 6, not the fault of the 6 but it was because I dropped it.

13. butterfly2 macrumors newbie

butterfly2

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Those scratches aren’t going to be covered. That’s an impact mark..

15. maka344 macrumors 65816

maka344

There’s no way that those are from pocket damage. The first one looks like a stood from your jeans and the second one looks like it’s been brushed against a hard surface.

I’m 5 days in and used completely naked for 4 days and no screen procector and don’t have a single mark and it’s been in and out of my pocket multiple times and out of the house.

However, my friend had micro scratches on his screen from ‘pocket’ use. The screen coatings Definitely seem weaker. Corner 5 this year seem that way and the Samsung’s suffer terrible coating issues and micro scratches. I have an S8 too.

16. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

My note 8 got many scratches from a unknown source. Had no idea. But it happens. Obviously something caused those scratches. That’s why I️ put a screen protector on my phones now. Sucks but it is what it is.

17. Lindalang2011 macrumors newbie

Lindalang2011

Try a Mr. Clean regular Magic Eraser. Don’t wet it first. Try it dry, then use a tiny amount of water on the sponge. Keep buffing. It worked on my Mac and completely took away all scuffs & marks. Worth a try!

18. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

Though I don’t doubt that worked for you, be very careful with Magic Erasers. They feel soft but they are actually very, very abrasive. They work like microscopic sandpaper. The same way that sand can polish glass, that’s why they work. But sand can also scratch glass.

They’d likely remove the oleophobic coating very quickly. Something that wouldn’t be on your Mac. Over repeated use they’d grind the screen down to a matte finish with lots and lots of micro scratches.

It’s how I clean my glass cooktop, which is now a matte feeling and scuffed looking mess.

19. Revels macrumors member

You scratching your new iPhone can happen in 4 seconds if you're not careful with it.

Nobody is going to replace/repair your device that you damaged.

20. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

I agree! OP might have scratched it with harder surface this time. He should consider a screen protector to go further with the X

21. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’ve already dropped my X, naked. Not a scratch thankfully. OP I wouldn’t let a small scratch ruin your experience.

I know it bothers you to look at, but the phone will perform just the same!

Just a small battle scar. Does it really matter how it happened now that it’s there? Just have fun with it.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

23. Newtons Apple, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Looks like the screen came in contract with brick, concrete or other masonry item. The ingredients of same will scratch your phone. This damage could happen at any time. If you did not do it I would ask others who might have used it.

24. alyabiev thread starter macrumors newbie

alyabiev

Hmm, I just thought I can now just throw it around like an old one and don't care at all.. Such a pleasure! :)

25. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

That’s the spirit lol