iPhone XR iPhone XR battery really that great?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jntdroid, May 15, 2019.

1. jntdroid macrumors regular

I have the Xr and I'm really enjoying it. I came from an 8, so it's clearly a step up in battery life. But my question is comparing to the Xs. Every battery test I'm seeing online is showing the Xs to be on par with, if not better than the battery life than the Xr. And yes I'm talking about the Xs and not the Xs Max.

I'm still within my 14 day exchange period, which is why I'm curious. I went with the Xr for the battery life, but honestly I'd prefer the smaller form factor of the Xs, and the dual lens would be a nice perk as well, assuming battery life is really that similar.

TIA!

2. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If you believe Apple, the XR significantly outperforms the XS in battery life.

In some tests, the XS may outperform XR because of various issues. For example, the XS may be more likely to overheat due to the design of the logic board. This results in processor throttling, which will increase battery life.

3. jntdroid thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the thing - I would like to believe Apple, but I'm seeing so many comparisons where they're similar, or the Xs outperforms, but then the reviewer will say something like, "I know that happened in that test, but in day to day use I can tell you the Xr has been rock solid for battery life."

4. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

The other day I charged my phone before bedtime to 100%. Then it went the whole night, the whole next day the whole night after that and I started charging at 30% in the morning times.

5. jntdroid thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's about what I'm getting as well, though I normally charge it before bed when I'm in the 35-45% range.

I found an Anandtech article that breaks it down a bit more and I *think* explains why the tests I'm seeing on Youtube, etc, are showing similar performance for the Xs and Xr:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13912/the-apple-iphone-xr-review-brilliant-battery-life/5

It sounds like the base power consumption on the Xs is always higher than the Xr due to the screen. In all of the tests I'm seeing, they're running videos or games or performance benchmarks - things that will push the base power consumption of the Xr to the max, and likely closer to the level of the Xs.

But in normal day to day activities, the Xr's base power consumption is going to be lower than the Xs, as the Xs's is high even for doing basic things like emailing, texting, browsing, etc, due to the OLED screen.

So I *think* that's the answer... seems to make sense.

6. jakeuten macrumors member

jakeuten

My friend's XR ends the day with 10-15% more juice than my XS and we have very similar (heavy) usage.

7. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

It's interesting because actually one of the main selling points for me was the LCD 326 ppi screen for the XR.

I know it's less stress for the CPU/GPU which means better battery life and over the years the A12 won't take that big of a hit in performance like an XS probably will due to the higher resolution.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the 3GB vs 4GB RAM down the line.

8. jakeuten macrumors member

jakeuten

I'm willing to bet that the 3 GB of RAM will be a larger hindrance down the line than the higher resolution display. With GPU's as powerful as they are now, the differences between Xr and Xs and Xs Max performance are minute at best in terms of graphics in the real world.

9. superleakTx macrumors member

the xr is bigger with wider bezel, and the screen is lower definition
    so the battery performs way better
    and yes, it is great

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I’ve had both and the Xr is probably somewhere between 25-50% better.

11. thadoggfather, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

In my opinion yes

Surpasses battery optimized versions of iOS 10 with 7+ which used to be the champ imo, tho I never had an 8+ on 11 ...

just 7+ and X on 11 which was a battery nose dive

It’s one of the best features, can confirm apples
    Marketing pitch

12. jntdroid thread starter macrumors regular

Same here - I also know I'm in the minority on this, but my eyes have always preferred LCD to OLED.

Maybe - but Apple does so much with so little RAM compared to other OEM's and OS's (Android...), I'm hoping that's a non-issue.

13. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

XR battery is a country mile ahead of the regular XS battery which is comparable to X battery which is comparable to previous 8,7 and 6 non-Plus iPhones (i.e. garbage).

XS Max battery life is a little bit shorter than XR (but still a marked improvement. Sadly that battery has to power a gigantic screen)

XR gives me 12h of use, guaranteed (i.e. lasts a full day and then some). It's great.

14. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

What is a country mile?

15. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

16. jntdroid thread starter macrumors regular

Urban dictionary says roughly 10 miles. But as someone who grew up in the country, I can tell you it typically just means a long way, normally implying longer than an actual mile... ;)

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

From sounds it’s best on the market or top 2-3