iPhone XR Hands-On: Vibrant Colors, Solid Camera/Display, and Cheaper Price Should Entice Many Users

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to hands-on time with the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, members of the media today got the chance to see the new LCD iPhone XR up close. This is Apple's cheaper alternative to the higher-tier XS models, with the XR starting at $749 in 64GB and rising from there.

[​IMG]

In person, The Verge said that the six new colors of the iPhone XR are all very vibrant, and the site particularly liked Coral and (PRODUCT)Red. Additionally, The Verge described the iPhone XR as noticeably lighter in comparison to the XS, and ultimately said that the XR will likely become the "default" iPhone for many users this holiday season.
    In terms of downgrades from the iPhone XS to make the XR cheaper, Apple went for an LCD display instead of OLED, chose a single-lens rear facing camera instead of the dual lens on the XS, and removed 3D Touch. TechCrunch, like many outlets, said that if you don't miss these features then it's easy to see why the XR will be enticing, particularly if you want more color options.

[​IMG]

Other than those differences, the iPhone XR has an A12 Bionic chip, a TrueDepth camera system, and Face ID -- just like the iPhone XS.
    Mashable reported that the rear camera on the iPhone XR is still impressive, despite the fact that it's not a true Portrait Mode effect like those produced by the dual cameras on iPhone XS or XS Max.
    The iPhone XR will go up for pre-order this Friday, October 19, ahead of a launch one week later on October 26.

Article Link: iPhone XR Hands-On: Vibrant Colors, Solid Camera/Display, and Cheaper Price Should Entice Many Users

2. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

***Last sentence has an error saying the Xr goes up for pre-sale this week.

It'll be interesting to see which is the biggest seller when we have a quarter with all versions being available for the whole quarter.

From my perspective, with the main updates of the Xs in the Xr (CPU and Camera), plus its awesome battery life (1.5 hrs longer than the 8 Plus) at $250 less than the Xs and $350 less than the Xs Maxi, the Xr should stomp on them sales wise. But I remember what the X did last year, so we'll see.

3. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

If you want the flyest honeys, you have to have the XS Max!

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Looks really promising from the video! Finally can’t complain about the price :D

5. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

it unreasonable annoys me that there is no green version in that image or at all

6. brofkand macrumors regular

We will never get a flush backed phone again. Sad.

7. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

it's not out until October.. you need to update that.

8. Baymowe335 macrumors 68020

9. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

The question is: would you buy this or the iPhone X?

10. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Or a thieves utmost attention. ;)

11. ReneR macrumors 6502

I wish it still had an headphone jack :-/

12. Sam_S macrumors regular

Would be nice if they started with 128GB as standard.

13. Joe Mac User macrumors member

Joe Mac User

if you buy an iPhone X, it probably won't be from Apple since they no longer list it. Refurb or something maybe, but not new stock.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    And the only refurb currently on the Apple site are iPhones 7.

14. ReneR macrumors 6502

I take the iPhone Xj, the headphone Jack edition, ..!

15. brofkand macrumors regular

The only reason the X sold as well as it did was the massive promotions carriers threw behind it. Once initial demand leveled off, you could get an X for $20 a month all day long - less than half price.

These will be $10 a month phones before long I bet.

16. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I can buy it used for the same price so begs the question what's the best? obviously in terms of screen the iPhone X is best, but what about the processor? I'm interested in the faster Face ID

17. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Removed 3D Touch in a $750 phone? Apple, if you're going to bend your customers over at least buy them flowers first.

18. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

You definitely need a case, so don't care about that.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    X. Display should be much better!

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

This is what I was saying in another thread. The camera features on the XR are impressive compared to the Xs and Xs Max.
    Pre-orders start on October 19.

20. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Honestly, I wish the Xs looked like the Xr. Love the colors. Was a huge fan of the look of the 5c as well.

21. wyarp macrumors member

Has been tempted by the XR due to price reasons... then I saw on the Apple site the size comparison of the XR next to the 8 and 8+ It’s as big as the plus range! No way is that going to be the ’default’ choice for many even though it’s cheaper. Sure a big screen is great, but not when it’s so big it’s hardvto comfortably fit in your pocket or use comfortably with 1 hand. They already made the 8 that but too large imho. Not all iPhone buyers are huge handed Americans ffs!!!

22. DamoTheBrave macrumors regular

This is the size for me but why is it the cheaper option? I just don't get it. Why can't I get an oled with dual camera at this size???

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So what’s the difference between Haptic Touch and 3D Touch? Does the XR have the Taptic Engine?

24. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

25. Mr. Donahue macrumors 6502

Mr. Donahue

I thought the event said XR pre orders Oct 14 and ships Oct 26?