iPhone X's Already-Lowered Shipping Estimates in Early 2018 May Remain Too High

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, the country is completely irrelevant.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

A drop in production orders means nothing in a vacuum. You don't know how many they ordered in the previous quarter. In my earlier post, I surmised that perhaps this 10mil unit drop in production orders is due to an increased yield of 10mil in the previous one.

Bottom line, we'll know a lot more come Feb 1.

Always take these analyst reports with a grain of salt. Apple won't ever comment directly. Their vendors will never comment directly. It's all conjecture by analysts with agendas that are not consistent with reporting the truth.

That's not to say that the reports are wrong. Although, it has been shown that time and time again, the analysts reports coming out after the Christmas quarter, but before Apple reports, are consistently wrong. The stock price hasn't really moved, even with all these negative reports coming out of Wall St. Expect even more doom and gloom stories in the next couple of weeks.

3. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

Now I close all mine all the time I hate clutter, this would bother me too much.

4. Smartass macrumors 65816

Eventually, Steve Balmer's predictions are correct. Just change the 500$ to 1000$ in his quote hehe

5. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Here's a good insight from a real Apple supplier:

Lumentum supplies about 90% of the vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) Apple uses for 3D sensing, augmented reality applications and facial recognition for the iPhone X.

[Lumentum] announced 3D sensing revenues of $40M for the Sep-17 quarter, adding they generated more revenue in the single month of October than they did in all of the Sep-17 quarter. They also expect monthly shipments to increase in Nov-17 and Dec-17. Most importantly management indicated their 3D sensing monthly run rate could remain at similar levels in the Mar-18 quarter, a conclusion drawn from customer feedback and order rates.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can't really "close" an app in iOS. All you as the user can really do is delete its saved suspended state. Yes I know this rule comes with a few exceptions, but none that create any meaningful user control over the running apps and system services.

7. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

It only add a second to the process, once the close icon shows you can close all your apps.

8. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

I think the fact that this time they have 4 other lines of models, at least a couple of which probably provide them with equal or better margins than the X, that they can probably afford to sit on their hands for a year and only do a price cut with a flourish when they are due to refresh anyway (thus circumventing any refunds)

9. kstotlani macrumors 6502

10. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Thanks for the post! Hope it turns out to be actual. Analysts are often incorrect - hard to gauge the supply chain.

My reference, since its historic was correct.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We can repeat this to utter exhaustion and never get the point across.

MR only feeds this confusion by failing to make the distinction in article after article.

13. JediZenMaster, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Not really I just don’t need some stranger attempting to call folks out on a purchase they made.

I wish folks would mind their business and live their own lives instead of worrying about what other people do.

Last time I checked I didn’t need anyone’s permission to spend my money on what I choose to.

14. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

And yet you constantly feel the need to justify yourself.

Nothing wrong with that. As there is nothing wrong in anyone stating their opinion, especially on a public and dedicated forum like this one. If you don't like that perhaps a public opinionated forum isn't the best place to spend your time.

15. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

K bye!