iPhone X's Already-Lowered Shipping Estimates in Early 2018 May Remain Too High

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

The year Nokia realized that they were falling they too had not begun the year that way. They began with an estimate. The share holders of Nokia also believed in that. The rest is history, so to speak.

The issue was not the price. But the product. Same thing with Apple's iPhone X. The past years people, me included have gladly been paying a EUR1000 (which is more than $1000) for the iPhone 6 plus and 7 Plus. No Questions asked. If one can pay EUR1000 for an iPhone which isn't/wasn't revolutionary he certainly can throw in an extra EUR100 or EUR 150 if the product is revolutionary.

The iPhone X just isn't revolutionary and the reason people aren't buying it IMO is NOT the price but the fact that the phone isn't really that great - I paid EUR 1099 for the iPhone 8 Plus whereas I would not have paid $200 for the iPhone X given the fact that I find it clunky and awkward and don't wanna use clunky gadgets.

But I get it, it sounds better to blame it on the price than the fact that the product is a failure!

2. Stuey3D macrumors regular

Stuey3D

Seriously you are happy with the extra step in the multitasking gesture?

It should have been slide hold until multitask window pops up then slide apps omitting the whole holding the app until the red stop sign appears, there is simply no need for that extra step. Once multitask window is up it should be slide away as normal.

3. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

The iPhone X is a good first attempt at a "no bezel" phone. But it's a bit too big and a bit too expensive. Bring the 2018 version down to the iPhone 8's physical size, and price, and it will be a winner.

4. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Sorry to disappoint you but you did probably not get your iphone for free but pay for it through your phone plan. If this is the case you got a loan on a phone and not a free phone.

Free is when there is no contract attached!

5. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

Doesn't really matter to most iPhone users what the competition offers as much as the price does.

6. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Intel would like to have a word with you. Nvidia would like to have a word with you. Heck, even Samsung would like to have a word with you. Prices increased for all of them at the high end. $1000 Extreme Edition CPUs turned into $2000, $1000 Titans turned into $1250+ Titans, $600-700 Notes turned into $900+ Notes.

7. Ramchi, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Ramchi macrumors 6502

Ramchi

While it is The Profit for Apple, The Price for people!!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Very nice observations!

In my place already mobiles are assured with 50% buy-back within one year of exchange, that includes ridiculously expensive iPhone X (iPhones are typically very highly priced here with standard increase in price $150 every year).

Even at 50% buy-back value as on today, Note 8, LG V30+, OPO 5T etc..provides far more value for money.

As you have mentioned, Apple probably started following market trends, bigger display, AMOLED, probably Dual SIM(love if this is true), S Pen, offers like buy one get one free

8. HacKage macrumors regular

I have noticed there is an almost elitist attitude to owning an iPX. Which let's be honest, is the exact thing that Angela Ahrendts was brought in to do, to make Apple even more of a premium brand, a statement.
    Here's the thing though, with Chanel and Gucci and all the other top fashion brands, you can't go in and buy their latest handbags on a payment scheme. Almost every single person I know that has an iPX has got it either through contract with their carrier, or the iPhone upgrade scheme. There is nothing there to be elitist about.

Personally I bought an iP8+ outright, like I do with every phone purchase. Of course I could have went for the iPX for the extra couple hundred pounds, or just made it easy and went for the payment scheme options. The reason for not buying the iPX was the principal. I am absolutely not spending that money on a phone, whether upfront or supported. The iP8+ does everything just as fast, takes photos just as well, and holds just as much, but for less.

9. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apparently it does with the drop in production orders

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Triggered over a phone.

11. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I normally don't kill my apps, the only one I do that with is waze, so not a big deal with switch apps being so much faster with the new gestures.

12. alexgowers macrumors 65816

Just a guess but there are many factors at play here.

Jump in price means the x takes a lot more consideration and there is a bit of a dip in strength of fiat currencies right now in many countries like the UK and Europe.

The 2nd factor is upgrade paths. Anyone with an iPhone Plus is probably rejecting iPhone X as it's a smaller phone in real world use and represents only ONE choice. The iPhone X plus will remedy that choice but the price being even higher will further put off the masses of buyers who considered it an option previously.

Android phones overtook apple design wise this year with loads of great options for minimal bezels.

Lack of Touch ID and no home button mean a confusing change most users dislike.

Older apple phones are still fast and useable, at this point we are seeing the issue many iPads did. The extra features aren't really must have's or needs but merely different wants.

Many hold outs due to headphone jacks too. An iPhone X means extra purchases are needed and replacements are needed to use headphones with it. I know this wasn't an issue for early adopters but the masses really hate it.

Glass back, this while petty is a massive issue for those who are prone to dropping phones. We had glass backed phones before and a case doesn't always get you protection.

Cases are an issue. This is probably the last one, but once you put the iPhone X in a case those bezels don't look nearly as thin and when you see an iPhone X in real life it just doesn't look anything special at all.

Small battery sizes in the iPhone X make it appear less capable. Having gotten a plus, the x seems like a step backward.

I hope apple can come back because I love the OS and ecosystem of functions that go with it but I like many would prefer a second hand device to a new one right now.

13. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

I am not sure if your second post is supporting your first one.

Your post would make sense if you were being sarcastic, but I don't think you are.....

14. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

Did you speak to each of these phone owners to get their opinion. Or are you just talking?

So you would rather pay more for the same device.
    Angry? Don’t like when other people have an opinion? Aren’t you doing the same thing now?

15. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Don’t care what you think

16. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Not disagreeing that products come out that have more ability and cost more. I don't see the X as a device that has more ability worthy of the premium price. Other than a single feature - FaceID, everything else they did was catching up to the status quo... wireless charging, smaller bezels, OLED. And FaceID doesn't really provide anything new, its just different... pros and cons in different use cases. In my buying analysis vs. my iPhone 6S+ at the time, to me it was smaller, had less function that I cared about, and cost more. That led me to shop around, vs. in the past just plunking down my money for the next Apple iteration that in the past always had some things I saw the value in.

I almost posted this same thing in a thread yesterday. Just my opinion, but Apple is starting to be more of the "Coach purse" for tech. This is why I think so many people are justifying the "notch". It makes a statement... no disagreeing with that. The premium price of the X I think is all about creating that more expensive category for people that care about what others thing of them than real functionality.

17. iFan83 macrumors member

Yes your right nothing is ever free and they make back the cost by having me in a 2 year contract. That said my monthly bill only went up $10 a month and I also got 4 gb of data extra, and the phone didn’t have a up front cost.

18. pete2106 macrumors regular

pete2106

Every time I see the iPhone X, I'm reminded of when the iPhone 3G was announced and how Steve Jobs made a point that they wanted to make the iPhone more affordable so they could get it into more people's hands. It's not surprising but it is a shame that Apple have abandoned this way of thinking.

19. Verita macrumors regular

Verita

Brain. Missing.

20. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You can all believe whatever analyst notes you want, it's your choice. Here's my take on how these particular analysts reports can be true while at the same time still be bullish on AAPL and the iPhoneX sales numbers.

When the analysts first created their estimates for X sales numbers, they used guidance provided by Apple and other sources to determine what the yields were for these new parts (particularly the FaceID components). All of the reports back in July-August 2017 were pointing to low yields for these parts, therefore leading to a delayed launch and low availability.

In December, I recall two things happening. Rumors (from Ming Kuo) indicated that yields for FaceID components were improving more than expected and Apple lowering the specs on these parts to increase yields. If either of these things were true (or even both), then Apple could produce and ship more X's. Thus leading to higher sales and better availability.

So if Foxconn (or whoever was building the X) was able to ship more X's in the Oct-Dec'17 quarter, it would stand to reason that Apple would lower their orders for the Jan-Mar'18 quarter. They've basically moved up 10 million phones from one quarter to another.

So basically, nothing to see here. Except that the analysts in the original article are intentionally vague and provide only part of the story in order to drive a narrative that Apple is in trouble. They want to drive the price down a couple of bucks before earnings so they can make more after the earnings report come out.

Or it could all be true and iPhone X sales are in the toilet and AAPL is doomed. We'll know on Feb 1.

ASIDE - it's interesting that the Q1 earnings call is on 2/1. Usually, it would be on the 3rd week of Jan. Maybe Apple needs the extra week to count up all the extra zeros that keep piling up on their earnings report. ;)
    Apple has offerings in the iPhone line that are extremely affordable. The SE is available for $350.

There's more choice now than ever before. So yes, you're right about Jobs. He would never have allowed for this much choice in the line up.

21. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

Hey, I am not agreeing with the brainwashing statement. If someone has the money, it is their business if they buy the X or not....

But, your two posts merged together is funny.
    Then......
    Did Apple do a Jedi mind trick on you? I know you didn't mean it that way, it just looks funny placed together.

22. Ramchi macrumors 6502

Ramchi

Steve never cared about Apple Stocks though he worked his way around focusing more on the technology, pride in innovating (even if it was twisted in some cases), leading the industry with flagship sort of mind-set. Even his deliberations with Board was more to do with product vision, changing directors (for exposing Apple secrets outside) etc...He was against Buy Back, Dividends etc....

Now the trend is to take Apple to Fashion Design lines with Premium Luxury line up (Apple Watch, iPhone X etc..) with the new Sr VP from Burberry (AA) on board, this moving in a predictable lines.

Apple products will be soon defined as Luxury where normal people may not able to afford without pledging their fortunes...

23. DoYouLikePie? macrumors member

DoYouLikePie?

You may need to take a break from posting. You're getting incredibly emotional defending the actions of one of the richest companies in the world. It is OKAY to own an iPhone X man, relax.. It's OKAY! It's just not very intelligent or informed.

24. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Macrumors should really be ashamed of itself for such lousy journalism. If you click all the way through to the original Reuters new article you find this little tidbit:

Nowhere has Apple actually published any estimates for iPhone X sales. This is all coming from "unnamed sources".

The Reuters article then goes on to state the following:

Of course, what the original article doesn't mention is the reason that investors were anticipating that there would be greater interest in the iPhone X was that analysts were claiming that the iPhone X would lead to a "super-cycle upgrade".

The truth is that we have no idea how many iPhone X's Apple was estimating it would sell or when.

Anybody who has bothered to following Apple products knows that first adopters have much less price sensitivity than those who by even a few months later.

Of course the price is going to drop. The prices always drop as any tech product ages. Apple knows this and works with its channel partners to ensure its products stay competitive.

All the tech companies know this and do this. Samsung was offering $150 off its Galaxy S8 and S8+ just two months after release.

Really, Macrumors, you can do better than this.

25. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

What I mean is that iPhone users usually don't care what the competition does unless they have had an awful experience with their iPhone and switch to android or whatever. I would think it is the price of the X that keeps people from updating or choosing a cheaper iPhone alternative. But that is just what I think...