iPhone XS Hands On: XS Max Feels 'Shockingly' Light, Killer Features are Depth of Field Slider in Photos and Dual SIM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's latest event has come to a close, and that means the press is now getting a chance to go hands-on with the newest iPhones: the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. While largely similar in design to the 2017 iPhone X, the new models pack in a few new features that are distinct from the previous generation, namely the XS Max's large new 6.5-inch display.

[​IMG]

According to The Verge, the iPhone XS Max actually "feels much better than any 'Plus' iPhone ever has," thanks to a more ergonomic fit in the hands.
    Although Engadget warned that the iPhone XS Max approaches "smartphone overkill" with its size, they ultimately admitted that the device is "shockingly" light.

[​IMG]
    TechRadar came away impressed with the camera quality on the XS, but said that this line of iPhones feels like one of the more disappointing "S" generations, given how it's missing many standout features that make it recognizably different from the previous models.

[​IMG]
    Numerous publications pointed out some potential killer features of the iPhone XS include the bokeh effect slider in Portrait mode, as well as Dual SIM support. Dual SIM lets users integrate two separate phone numbers in one device, with one being a physical SIM card and another being an eSIM (China will get a version that supports two physical SIM cards).

[​IMG]

Slash Gear called this a "potential gamechanger" for the iPhone XS lineup.
    More information on the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max can be found in our launch post, and if you want to catch up on the event itself Apple has posted the full video to its website.

Article Link: iPhone XS Hands On: XS Max Feels 'Shockingly' Light, Killer Features are Depth of Field Slider in Photos and Dual SIM

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

“Shockingly” light? Somehow I doubt that lol but even if it is my pockets will probably revolt

3. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Looks like the XR will be a good choice for most, who want the cheaper iPhone!

4. glenohumeral macrumors member

DoF adjustments were already available in Focos App.....not sure if it's a "big" feature

5. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

whats the difference between the xs and xs max other than screen size?

6. The Don Onez macrumors newbie

So did they go with the taller and less width format?

7. unobtainium macrumors 68020

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I would imagine is the X S Max is probably heavier and less pocket friendly

9. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

10. Alakagom macrumors member

If Dual Sim is the killer feature then this is the end of an era. But I disagree, watching presentation it was clearly the addition of Gold colour that was the new standout feature.

11. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

12. will.s87 macrumors member

will.s87

13. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

The lightness of the XS Max is matched only by the lightness of the wallet after purchasing it.

14. can$rules macrumors member

15. MisterAndrew, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

MisterAndrew macrumors 6502a

MisterAndrew

Shockingly light compared to what? A brick? A bar of gold? An elephant? At 208 grams, the XS Max is the heaviest iPhone ever made.

16. madKIR macrumors 6502a

and Dark Room! I hope Apple won't remove these apps due to their stupid policy!

17. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Yes - improved phone is improved.

Tell us more... so more of us buy it ... and the authors of the blog make more money on their Apple stock.

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

The iPhone XR has this as well, so I'm not sure how this is a killer feature of the XS.

19. Peperino macrumors regular

Peperino

Tim Cook lost it way as well as Apple. It truly shows with the current prices, that the only thing he cares is about performing for the investors and charge outrageous prices rather than for users that actually purchase the Apple products. You can see all along the Apple line up with the iMac Pro, and the Macbook Pro both ridiculously expensive.

20. ps45 macrumors regular

Q: Do the dual cameras on the XS and XR allow for live photo with a proper still photo as well, or is it the same as with single camera models (fixed shutter speed and grain in low light)?

21. 4x4bob macrumors member

Why don't they just call it the iPad iPhone? Screw that, I don't want bigger. And they are releasing a bigger watch too..... iPhone iWatch next? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills..... this is a stupid trend..... bigger isn't better.

22. votdfak macrumors regular

votdfak

23. JohnApples macrumors 65816

So the killer features are the only 2 new features in the phone?

Seriously, other than these 2 features and spec bumps, what else is new?

24. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It’s the same physical size, just bigger screen.

25. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

You know this is basically what happens every "S" year, right? Refinements and improvements on the previous year's features. This is how Apple has done it for a long time, with few exceptions.

I don't understand how so many people are surprised or upset about the lack of new features.