Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
XS Max + Apple Care + Taxes in US (except some states) may come close to $1900!!! Shockingly "cheap" for something that will outdate in exactly 12 months or grind to such slow state that replacement becomes necessary in around 3 years. /s

Don't forget the cost of a new case and any activation fees one may have to pay and we are easily going well north of $2000 for a phone. Not to mention if you ever have to use Apple Care+ then we add another $29-$269 deductible per incident.

I miss how magical my first few iPhones were at subsidized prices. Paying $199-$399 for my first 4 iphones (3g,4,5,6) not to mention that Apple care used to be priced well under $200 for the earlier generations of phones.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I’m not sure price matters as much anymore.

For one, a lot of people spread it out over 30 months. A $100 price hike is a couple bucks.

Second, may just be group bias but at least on MR it seems like a majority of users here upgrade phones/watches/etc. every year and a lot of those are higher tier models.

steven3130

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
I computed the cost of an iPhone with AppleCare on 0% interest for 24 months and it’s equivalent to having a two year contract. So, I suggest getting the iUP program and simply don’t upgrade every year.

The unfortunate part of being a fanboy and being on the iUP is the fact that I can upgrade every year, and the program was created for that reason.

The two year contract days, buying a subsidized phone (usually bought the mid-tier phone with more GBs than the entry phone) was $299 (the unsubsidized price was $750). I was also able to sell my iPhone for $300+. I had multiple lines, so I was able to upgrade every year (juggling act). The iUP, I feel is more expensive given the fact that I’ve already paid 50% and I cannot sell the phone for the rest of the 50% balance due, so it’s best to give it up and trade it in. The two year subsidized plan you’re able to keep the phone (in my case) after each year. So I still feel the 2 year contract subsidized phones days were a lot better in comparison, given how I was able to juggle my lines to upgrade every year. It just worked better for my scenario.

Edit: here’s a comparison since at that time the iPhone 6 unsubsidized is the same price as the iPhone XR and lets back out the AppleCare because it was different pricing at the time:

2 year contract:
iPhone 6 64gb (at release, unsubsidized price at $749)
- You pay $299 upfront
- You get to keep the phone

iUP
iPhone XR 64gb valued at $749, no Apple care
- You pay $31.21/month for 12 months = $374.52
- You still owe 12 more payments

Your options after 12 months:
(1) trade in to satisfy the remaining 12 payments to get the new phone
(2) Pay for another 12 months to keep the phone

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
1499? What is wrong with people? A constant lust for something others don't have - until they all do, only to become outdated quickly and replaced a year later by another thing others don't have - until they do...

Olympic rat race, people... be poor, forever!
and people will be broke as a result of having to have the iPhone.

students will moan about their loans but sport the new iPhone each year with a new apple watch and mbp

Apple is not doing society any favors with over half the population is living paycheck to paycheck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.