Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
i can get an IPhone XS Max 256GB for £760 or a Note 9 for £420.

Without any bias, which would you go for?

Thanks.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado

Thanks.

Shelf life of XS MAX is at least 4 years more than Note9. Much Better resale value too. You pay more now but XS MAX will be better in every way over the long haul.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
Both are awesome devices mate, the real question is iOS or Android because both devices are Top Notch.

Well the note doesn’t actually have that Notch but they are both still top notch!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Shelf life of XS MAX is at least 4 years more than Note9. Much Better resale value too. You pay more now but XS MAX will be better in every way over the long haul.

This. Honestly, a used/refurbished XS Max is your best bet to let someone else take the depreciation hit. After that small drop, the XS Max will keep its value long term.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Galaxy Note 9 is a much better product. Save the $ since the Note 9 can do more and you get better value.

• More RAM means less app refreshes
  • No Siri
  • S-Pen for more productivity
  • Better multitasking
  • T9 dialing to make calls easier
  • Samsung Pay is much better than Apple Pay
  • Multiple biometric options
  • Quick charge out of the box
  • SD card slot
  • Headphone jack
  • No Intel modem in the Note 9
  • QHD display
  • Better power saving options
  • More customization and versatility
  • You're not locked into HomeKit
  • No need for iTunes
  • DeX Support for working on a desktop
  • USB Type C support

Apple is really losing its luster and I couldn't suggest almost double for their devices.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

Thanks.
If your happy with android then Note 9. If you live in the iOS bubble then Max. Note 9 is a far more realised prouduct with a host of powerful features. The Max is a giant iphone with no features to take advantage of its large size.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Galaxy Note 9 is a much better product. Save the $ since the Note 9 can do more and you get better value.

• More RAM means less app refreshes
  • No Siri
  • S-Pen for more productivity
  • Better multitasking
  • T9 dialing to make calls easier
  • Samsung Pay is much better than Apple Pay
  • Multiple biometric options
  • Quick charge out of the box
  • SD card slot
  • Headphone jack
  • No Intel modem in the Note 9
  • QHD display
  • Better power saving options
  • More customization and versatility
  • You're not locked into HomeKit
  • No need for iTunes
  • DeX Support for working on a desktop
  • USB Type C support

Apple is really losing its luster and I couldn't suggest almost double for their devices.

Blah blah.

Bottom line: XS Max has better display, much much better processor, better camera, better materials, much much better resale value, much better Support (5+ years), better gaming device, much better apps, better 3rd party support from accessory makers, better support from carriers, and of course, no bloatware.
[doublepost=1552993769][/doublepost]
If your happy with android then Note 9. If you live in the iOS bubble then Max. Note 9 is a far more realised prouduct with a host of powerful features. The Max is a giant iphone with no features to take advantage of its large size.

Powerful or gimmick? Gimmick.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Blah blah.

Bottom line: XS Max has better display, much much better processor, better camera, better materials, much much better resale value, much better Support (5+ years), better gaming device, much better apps, better 3rd party support from accessory makers, better support from carriers, and of course, no bloatware.

Leading with "Blah blah" renders everything you said after this pointless and irrelevant. Rudeness should not be tolerated.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Leading with "Blah blah" renders everything you said after this pointless and irrelevant. Rudeness should not be tolerated.

It was not rudeness. Between gimmick crapware vs hardcore facts, I always state hardcore facts. Sorry if you perceive facts as rudeness. My apologies.
[doublepost=1552996437][/doublepost]Recent study: “In fact, the Samsung lost 10.73% more of its resale value in the first month of release than the iPhone X did in nine months! Ouch."

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It was not rudeness. Between gimmick crapware vs hardcore facts, I always state hardcore facts. Sorry if you perceive facts as rudeness. My apologies.
[doublepost=1552996437][/doublepost]Recent study: “In fact, the Samsung lost 10.73% more of its resale value in the first month of release than the iPhone X did in nine months! Ouch."
Facts or just opinion? I'm an iPhone user through and through but even I can see the pluses to the Note 9.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Blah blah.

most everything you listed is up for argument

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Blah blah.

There goes your credibility. Anything starting with blah blah shows a dismissive attitude. That’s fine if you’re a fan of iPhones.

But to pay nearly double for less functions doesn’t sound fair to the consumer.

My XS Max doesn’t have the better display or better support from carriers due to the Intel modem. The processor difference is marginal at best and doesn’t make a difference day to day. You may enjoy games, but that doesn’t mean we all look to gaming libraries to determine phone choices. If someone is concerned about resale value, 5 year support is probably negligible. So an iPhone has stainless steel instead of aluminum? Great, you could buy more accessories, but the Note 9 isn’t just some random phone.

I paid $500 for my XS Max and it feels underwhelming even for that price. I can’t even do much more with it that my old 8+ couldn’t do.
[doublepost=1553001893][/doublepost]

If people cared a ton about resale value, then don’t you think Samsung would have a much smaller market share than what they have now?

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
There goes your credibility. Anything starting with blah blah shows a dismissive attitude. That’s fine if you’re a fan of iPhones.

But to pay nearly double for less functions doesn’t sound fair to the consumer.

My XS Max doesn’t have the better display or better support from carriers due to the Intel modem. The processor difference is marginal at best and doesn’t make a difference day to day. You may enjoy games, but that doesn’t mean we all look to gaming libraries to determine phone choices. If someone is concerned about resale value, 5 year support is probably negligible. So an iPhone has stainless steel instead of aluminum? Great, you could buy more accessories, but the Note 9 isn’t just some random phone.

I paid $500 for my XS Max and it feels underwhelming even for that price. I can’t even do much more with it that my old 8+ couldn’t do.
[doublepost=1553001893][/doublepost]

If people cared a ton about resale value, then don’t you think Samsung would have a much smaller market share than what they have now?

Yes, it does have a better display.......even XDA says so. Want a link?

Yes, better carrier support as in no bloatware, instant updates, and more trade-in value.

Processor? Marginal? Better graphics, higher FPS, longer relevancy because it is more future-proof for future applications and gaming are VERY SIGNIFICANT.

And of course, A12 is the main reason we have the game-changer called Smart HDR in pics and video.

Great resale value is due to the long support (5+ years)!!! IPhone is the ONLY phone that can actually be passed down!

“In fact, the Samsung lost 10.73% more of its resale value in the first month of release than the iPhone X did in nine months! Ouch."

Note 9 just got Pie last month.......and Pie was released over 6 months ago! So, in all likelihood, Android Q will be last major software update that Note 9 gets sometime next year. Given how slow Samsung supports their 1+ year old devices, Note 9 owners probably won’t get Q until mid year next year.

Isn’t Note 9 fingerprint scanner cover made of PLASTIC?? I hope that i am wrong.

Sell your XS Max and get 8+. We all know that you won’t......or even better, talk the talk.....show me up by getting a Note 9!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yes, it does have a better display.......even XDA says so. Want a link?

Yes, better carrier support as in no bloatware, instant updates, and more trade-in value.

Processor? Marginal? Better graphics, higher FPS, longer relevancy because it is more future-proof for future applications and gaming are VERY SIGNIFICANT.

And of course, A12 is the main reason we have the game-changer called Smart HDR in pics and video.

Great resale value is due to the long support (5+ years) that then contributes heavily to resale value!!

“In fact, the Samsung lost 10.73% more of its resale value in the first month of release than the iPhone X did in nine months! Ouch."

Note 9 just got Pie last month.......and Pie was released over 6 months ago! So, in all likelihood, Android Q will be last major software update that Note 9 gets sometime next year. Given how slow Samsung supports their 1+ year old devices, Note 9 owners probably won’t get Q until mid year next year.

Isn’t Note 9 fingerprint scanner cover made of PLASTIC?? I hope that i am wrong.

Sell your XS Max and get 8+. We all know that you won’t......or even better, talk the talk.....show me up by getting a Note 9!

A 1242p display with a notch isn’t as good as a 1440p infinity display.

The processor differences are marginal in day to day usage.

Why does a major OS update matter when Google is cherry picking features from Samsung software? Patches matter more than major OS updates.

Why does the FP sensor construction matter? You’re discussing semantics there.

I am selling my XS Max to go to Samsung. I don’t need to prove anything to someone on the internet that overrates an iPhone.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
And of course, if you want to support Google, then consider this: https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/15/joseph-dunford-google-china/

YMMV
[doublepost=1553003570][/doublepost]
A 1242p display with a notch isn’t as good as a 1440p infinity display.

The processor differences are marginal in day to day usage.

Why does a major OS update matter when Google is cherry picking features from Samsung software? Patches matter more than major OS updates.

Why does the FP sensor construction matter? You’re discussing semantics there.

I am selling my XS Max to go to Samsung. I don’t need to prove anything to someone on the internet that overrates an iPhone.

Per XDA (Android forum display analysis of Pixel 3):

“We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive.

The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it....”

Marginal? That’s based on your narrow view.

Patches are NOT the same as major software updates that includes major security framework design. And heck sometimes, Android patches are released for the sake of release with no substance!! That was proven too! LOL

Fingerprint scanner PLASTIC construction matters because that shows the ****** materials Samsung uses.

Good. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.....I hate to say it, but you’ll be back. LOL
[doublepost=1553003989][/doublepost]Strange, for many on Android, the “Infinity Display” is a sore point. False touches.

From recent S10e review, Android Police has this to say:

“While the aesthetic of the Galaxy S10e largely mimics that of the larger S10 and S10+, there are some key differences. For one, the screen isn't curved. This actually ends up being a benefit in every sense but a visual one (the curved screens do look cool), because the S10e has none of the annoying edge rejection issues that the curved phones do (especially outside of a case).”

Yeah, Infinity Display is great for the cool factor, but in actual using it, it is bad. And then you add in the edge distortion when viewing movies or photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Conquer

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
And of course, if you want to support Google, then consider this: https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/15/joseph-dunford-google-china/

YMMV
[doublepost=1553003570][/doublepost]

Per XDA (Android forum display analysis of Pixel 3):

“We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive.

The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it....”

Marginal? That’s based on your narrow view.

Patches are NOT the same as major software updates that includes major security framework design. And heck sometimes, Android patches are released for the sake of release with no substance!! That was proven too! LOL

Fingerprint scanner PLASTIC construction matters because that shows the ****** materials Samsung uses.

Good. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.....I hate to say it, but you’ll be back. LOL
[doublepost=1553003989][/doublepost]Strange, for many on Android, the “Infinity Display” is a sore point. False touches.

From recent S10e review, Android Police has this to say:

“While the aesthetic of the Galaxy S10e largely mimics that of the larger S10 and S10+, there are some key differences. For one, the screen isn't curved. This actually ends up being a benefit in every sense but a visual one (the curved screens do look cool), because the S10e has none of the annoying edge rejection issues that the curved phones do (especially outside of a case).”

Yeah, Infinity Display is great for the cool factor, but in actual using it, it is bad. And then you add in the edge distortion when viewing movies or photos.
The A12 might be more powerful on paper but it’s not being used for anything. I can’t even run two apps simultaneously on my iPhone or do pip. I can’t connect external devices to it, the note 9 has the S pen which adds a lot more functionality. The note 9 can be used as a desktop computer. I’ve used Dex before you try and trash it. It works.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSilas and nviz22

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
The A12 might be more powerful on paper but it’s not being used for anything. I can’t even run two apps simultaneously on my iPhone or do pip. I can’t connect extensors devices to it, the note 9 has the S pen which adds a lot more functionality. The note 9 can be used as a desktop computer. I’ve used Dex before you try and trash it. It works.

Actually, i came from Note. I know much about it. S-pen...i used it for about a month (due to honeymoon period) and then never used it again...except when showing off. LOL.

PIP is gimmick on a small screen. Now, on IPad, i like it. Run two apps? Is that why there is lag? Battery drain galore? How long does Note 9 take to render 4k video or export it? Can Note 9 do 60 FPS in gaming?

For more details: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/2

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Actually, i came from Note. I know much about it. S-pen...i used it for about a month (due to honeymoon period) and then never used it again...except when showing off. LOL.

PIP is gimmick on a small screen. Now, on IPad, i like it. Run two apps? Is that why there is lag? Battery drain galore? How long does Note 9 take to render 4k video or export it? Can Note 9 do 60 FPS in gaming?

For more details: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/2
I would never try and do video editing on my phone. That’s what my iPad is for it my Mac. The screen is too small. Of course if the phone had Dex mode I could do that on the big screen. I’ve used two apps on the S5 when it was my daily driver. Much smaller than the max and found it useful then. There are plenty of times o want to watch a YouTube video whilst browsing the net, reading an email or maybe buying something on amazon.

The S pen can be used to fine tune photo editing, annotating texts, making notes, controlling the camera, controlling power point presentations etc. All very useful features.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I would never try and do video editing on my phone. That’s what my iPad is for it my Mac. The screen is too small. Of course if the phone had Dex mode I could do that on the big screen. I’ve used two apps on the S5 when it was my daily driver. Much smaller than the max and found it useful then. There are plenty of times o want to watch a YouTube video whilst browsing the net, reading an email or maybe buying something on amazon.

Again, i rather do most of what you wrote..............on an iPad! Why bother carrying around extra stuff for DEX....when you can just carry your phone + iPad and be far more productive?!

And this is why Apple does not do those things on iPhones. Not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.