iPhone XS Series Models Now $100 Cheaper at Apple Retail Stores

giebe

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
dannygie.be
I don’t know... I am so confused about Apple’s product line on the iPhone.
Confused and not convinced.

iPhone Xs is overpriced for a phone - at least to my standards and requirements. I could not get an XR or the new iPhone 11 because I really don’t like their look and finishes.

iPhone Pro has the same HW chip as iPhone 11 so for a stupid video/photo stuff it’s not worth the money.

Now I am still in Apple’s ecosystem with a MBP, iPad, iMac and aWatch but I need to change my phone and I will not throw out so much money on the window on any of these.
iPhone 8 will be outdated next yer. I have a 7 plus..... I really don’t know what to look for and what to do....

Someone help me out here please...

I will hang tight to the 7 plus for now, but I suspect in half year I will need to change it - battery will die and I replace the phone by then. (Not to mention 7 is outdated)
What exactly do you need from the new phone, which the 7 can’t handle? It will also get iOS 13 and at least iOS 14, so it should be good for the next 2 years. You can change the battery on your own for about $30-50 which is quite easy to do. Which feature of iOS 13 are you missing, which is not available on the 7?

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
This is a poor value imo. A $700 iPhone 11 is a lot more attractive, especially with features like night mode. I mean it would be funny if a $900 phone takes worse picture than a $700 phone. There's a reason Apple discontinued it. The pricing doesn't make sense, unless one values the OLED screen so much more than the improvements the A13 brings.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
If you can switch carriers, AT&T is doing BOGO(up to $750 off). $750 off the second phone, plus $300 gift card. That is pretty tempting.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Apple offered me £320 for my immaculate XS.

How do we go from £999 to £320 in a year?
Of course any time one trades things in one has to expect the company will be fairly conservative in pricing but still that is borderline insulting. I would just keep it unless you have a big need for the new phone. If enough people refuse to play ball then Apple will listen - they cut prices in China for example as the Chinese won't go along with price gouging and they had to drop the price on the XR, in India stores sell phones at lower than official prices to let Apple save face but find customers through things like big cash back schemes linked to credit cards etc. It must have meant one less ivory back scratcher for Angela Ahrendts but reports suggest she managed to just about get by with her pay of $24 million. No wonder she had to leave in search of more money.

Apple's pricing in Britain is consistently, even when accounting for taxes and currency fluctuations, higher than for the US. And you know that when the currency fluctuation goes the other way there will be no concomitant price reduction. Then again, for some reason Apple feels their success depends on Tim Cook being paid $136 million last year so that he can virtue signal on twitter about "equality" - that money has to come from somewhere!

Last edited:
Reactions: simonmet

Darajavahus

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2015

iPhone Xs is overpriced for a phone - at least to my standards and requirements. I could not get an XR or the new iPhone 11 because I really don’t like their look and finishes.

iPhone Pro has the same HW chip as iPhone 11 so for a stupid video/photo stuff it’s not worth the money.

Now I am still in Apple’s ecosystem with a MBP, iPad, iMac and aWatch but I need to change my phone and I will not throw out so much money on the window on any of these.
iPhone 8 will be outdated next yer. I have a 7 plus..... I really don’t know what to look for and what to do....

I will hang tight to the 7 plus for now, but I suspect in half year I will need to change it - battery will die and I replace the phone by then. (Not to mention 7 is outdated)
And I'm here looking how much prices dropped on 6, and if I buy one I'm keeping it for about 5 years.

PlayUltimate

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO

Same boat. Just don't see enough of a gap to warrant getting rid of my 128GB 7+. At least for the things I use the phone for.

And I want a new iPad but don't want to deal with one that uses the gen 1 Apple Pencil. Still sticking with my iPad Air 2 for now.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
My iPhone XS has been awesome. Get one cheaper after the 11 is out.

Slash787

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2019

I have the same problem as you, I am on the iPhone 7 and it is already giving me battery troubles I make 3 calls and from 100 it goes down to 30%, updating to iOS 12 messed up everything.

Galaxy s10 seems like the perfect phone, that's how the new iPhone should have been but I am used to iOS and I just don't like the android interface. The current new phones are too expensive and not worth the price. The place where I live the XS was for $1500 and now after the 11 has released it has come down to $1200.

I am going to see what they will release in March next year, I hope its a new SE with the latest internals and not iPhone 8 internals otherwise I am going to wait for the iPhone 2022 which I will buy in 2023 when the price goes down......

Reactions: kissmo

ETJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2019

There's some rumours of a SE2 Iphone next year. Based on Iphone 7 externals and like X or 11 internals. A budget phone for like 500 dollars or something. If this is true this will probably be my next phone. I loved my SE just want a slightly bigger display.

Reactions: kissmo

agsystems

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2013
So...who would pay $900 for a year old model when the latest will be out in a week for $1000?
For Apple $100 it is 'good' as they don't want to protect they were tradings - the carriers and 3rd party vendors (Bestbuy, Walmart, etc.) will likely be more aggressive and have more specials coming soon.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018

You're unable to pick up a perfectly fine 11 because you don't... like the look?

Hard to feel sorry for you mate. Put a case and a screen protector on it FFS.

kissmo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
You're unable to pick up a perfectly fine 11 because you don't... like the look?

Hard to feel sorry for you mate. Put a case and a screen protector on it FFS.
In HU the phone costs around 1300 EUR the. At that price well at least should look OK because that Ugly notch on the screen also ain’t cutting for me at that price range.

Scottsdale

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Keep your iPhone 7. Get a new battery when the current one isn’t serviceable. The iPhone 6s was my favorite (128GB Space Gray). Unfortunately, I left it on an airplane.

I had replaced the battery in it twice and got the screen replaced once. I still love that iPhone the most. At 4.7” it just fit in the hand nicely. It was fast. It was a world phone. And it even had a headphone jack.

Now, I have the Xs Max. I cannot stand the notch. I loath looking at my iPhone. I try to not look up. I try everything to unsee it or forget but two years in I still see it all the time.

I would hang onto that iPhone 7 if I were you. Love it and appreciate all the good tech until something happens to force an upgrade. Next year, hopefully, the notch problem will be solved. The iPhones will get bigger and smaller at opposite ends. The screens will all get the same tech. Hopefully, we will get USB C. The USB C would be nice to backup files, but I am not as concerned as some people with having a one-cable solution. The AirPods and PowerBeats Pro both need Lightning.

So wait for next year. This year was rather unexciting with exception to the battery life. That is the only feature I would have loved on my iPhone Max. It dies before the end of the day, sometimes even with the battery case.