iPhone XS Series Models Now $100 Cheaper at Apple Retail Stores

meru890

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
Why do you need to upgrade from the 7 when you can simply get a new battery? I have upgraded every year since the 6S and since then, the iPhone 7 still has plenty of headroom in the specs department to run for another year or two without hiccups.

Now if we were talking about the 6S, you would see far bigger improvements with the XI.
Totally true, but my pins are kinda ****ed up so charging phone is really annoying (cant touch the cable once it works) due to the loose connection and yeah battery overall bad (but I‘m a heavy user), probably not worth to fix both issues.

jntdroid

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Keep your iPhone 7. Get a new battery when the current one isn’t serviceable. The iPhone 6s was my favorite (128GB Space Gray). Unfortunately, I left it on an airplane.

I had replaced the battery in it twice and got the screen replaced once. I still love that iPhone the most. At 4.7” it just fit in the hand nicely. It was fast. It was a world phone. And it even had a headphone jack.
Swappa has quite a few 6S's for sell for very cheap. I agree with you as well, short of the lack of water resistance, the 6S was one of the best, and the most carrier compatible iPhones ever...

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Totally true, but my pins are kinda ****ed up so charging phone is really annoying (cant touch the cable once it works) due to the loose connection and yeah battery overall bad (but I‘m a heavy user), probably not worth to fix both issues.
It might be worth getting someone to take a look at it. Otherwise, bite the bullet and jump in on the XI, which should easily last you 5 years.

Another benefit is the improved 4GLTE modem and the fact that when people start moving to 5G, LTE will have less traffic and speeds could jump substantially.

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
This is a poor value imo. A $700 iPhone 11 is a lot more attractive, especially with features like night mode. I mean it would be funny if a $900 phone takes worse picture than a $700 phone. There's a reason Apple discontinued it. The pricing doesn't make sense, unless one values the OLED screen so much more than the improvements the A13 brings.
Depends on priorities. It has a better screen and a zoom lens, which are of value to many.
[doublepost=1568223129][/doublepost]
I would hang onto that iPhone 7 if I were you. Love it and appreciate all the good tech until something happens to force an upgrade. Next year, hopefully, the notch problem will be solved. The iPhones will get bigger and smaller at opposite ends. The screens will all get the same tech. Hopefully, we will get USB C. The USB C would be nice to backup files, but I am not as concerned as some people with having a one-cable solution. The AirPods and PowerBeats Pro both need Lightning.

So wait for next year. This year was rather unexciting with exception to the battery life. That is the only feature I would have loved on my iPhone Max. It dies before the end of the day, sometimes even with the battery case.
I have a 7-Plus with a new battery and am considering this. It is 1 mm thinner than the 11 (very important to me), has the jet black finish (to date, my favorite finish from Apple), has Touch ID (enough said), and a zoom lens. In short, it's still a very capable phone, and I love the way it looks.

That said, I'm still on the fence because of the improved photo quality of the 11 overall. Even the Xr takes better pictures than my 7-Plus, and the 11's low-light mode would be great. But I use my zoom lens all the time. Sigh.

Reactions: MrGuder

Riot Nrrrd

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Lost Androideles
Which are about a dozen people at this point.
Are you really that dumb?

A simple check of Twitter or Discord would quickly abuse you of the notion that are only "about a dozen people" who jailbreak. Especially given the screams of everyone asking WEN ETA on A12 device jailbreak support.

Black.Infinity

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Apple tree-Toronto
I have the same problem as you, I am on the iPhone 7 and it is already giving me battery troubles I make 3 calls and from 100 it goes down to 30%, updating to iOS 12 messed up everything.

Galaxy s10 seems like the perfect phone, that's how the new iPhone should have been but I am used to iOS and I just don't like the android interface. The current new phones are too expensive and not worth the price. The place where I live the XS was for $1500 and now after the 11 has released it has come down to $1200.

I am going to see what they will release in March next year, I hope its a new SE with the latest internals and not iPhone 8 internals otherwise I am going to wait for the iPhone 2022 which I will buy in 2023 when the price goes down......
AppleInsider published an article that apple won’t release a SE iPhone.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
I don’t know... I am so confused about Apple’s product line on the iPhone.
Confused and not convinced.

iPhone Xs is overpriced for a phone - at least to my standards and requirements. I could not get an XR or the new iPhone 11 because I really don’t like their look and finishes.

iPhone Pro has the same HW chip as iPhone 11 so for a stupid video/photo stuff it’s not worth the money.

Now I am still in Apple’s ecosystem with a MBP, iPad, iMac and aWatch but I need to change my phone and I will not throw out so much money on the window on any of these.
iPhone 8 will be outdated next yer. I have a 7 plus..... I really don’t know what to look for and what to do....

Someone help me out here please...

I will hang tight to the 7 plus for now, but I suspect in half year I will need to change it - battery will die and I replace the phone by then. (Not to mention 7 is outdated)
Get the new 11 basic for 699.00

Pelea

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
and a faster processor, better display, longer battery life, better water resistance
- not noticeable
- not noticeable except maybe brightness in some small circonstances
- not needed for 90% of iphone xs users, i finish with 60% battery after a full day
- not noticeable, 99.999% of users won't notice extra water resistance, nor will they need it

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Sadly, I believe that the old iPhones that support 3D Touch will have the functionality voided the moment they install iOS 13, so until the 19th you better make good use of the feature before its gone forever...
It would be a dumb move by Apple to do that.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes, the Xs is now a pretty poor value. But I think one reason Apple is discontinuing it is also partially the second lens, which is a 2x optical telephoto zoom. I was really looking forward to the second lens on the entry level 11 and I'm pretty disappointed they chose to make that second lens a zoom OUT instead of a zoom IN, which is much much more handy. I'd say 90% of the time I'd rather be closer than farther away from my subject. I'm pretty happy with most of what the 11 offers and the price break is very welcome, but that second lens was a big let-down. Not sure I need anything more than an Xr at this point.

Basically, Apple has taken the 2x optical zoom, a feature which can be readily found in cheap 15 year-old digital cameras, and moved it to be a feature you can get only if you buy a premium $1000+ iphone. If you wanna get that telephoto, Apple is gonna make you pay top money for their top of the line "Pro" camera. Upselling from the company that made it an artform.

Reactions: MrGuder

LovingTeddy

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
You're unable to pick up a perfectly fine 11 because you don't... like the look?

Hard to feel sorry for you mate. Put a case and a screen protector on it FFS.
Even with the case, the new phone looks ****ing ugly. Once you see it, you can not unsee this ugly camera hump. There are other phone makers make triple camera looks better.

Reactions: iSilas and DJ_Smith

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
As a person with a XS Max and iOS 13 b3, they’ve ****ed 3D Touch with the release of 13. Period. It was their intention from the start. It’s a **** show now.
I have the max with b3 also, don’t think it’s *that* bad. And I’m a 3DT fan.
[doublepost=1568241369][/doublepost]
Even with the case, the new phone looks ****ing ugly. Once you see it, you can not unsee this ugly camera hump. There are other phone makers make triple camera looks better.
Don’t think it looks as bad as that in my opinion.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Following its iPhone 11 series announcements on Tuesday evening, Apple has shaved $100 off the price of its remaining retail stock of previous generation iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models.

Brick-and-mortar Apple stores are now offering iPhone XS models with 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage for $899, $1,049, and $1,249, respectively.

The larger iPhone XS Max now starts at $999 for the 64GB model, rising to $1,149 for 256GB storage, and $1,349 for the 512GB capacity.

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are no longer listed on Apple's online store, having been superseded by the new iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, which are set to launch on September 20.

Out of Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup, only the iPhone XR is still available to order online, alongside its successor, the iPhone 11, which also launches September 20. Pre-orders for the all-new models begin on September 13.

Article Link: iPhone XS Series Models Now $100 Cheaper at Apple Retail Stores
^ is this valid ONLY in the United States of America!!?
Site is viewed globally ... you should start reflecting articles based on region/country so it's clear going forward, please.

So...who would pay $900 for a year old model when the latest will be out in a week for $1000?
I would! I'm not a shutter bug so all these camera upgrades (since the X) are WELL beyond my use case/understanding. cheaper ... most apps if not ALL iOS apps cannot use the full power of the iPhone anyhow so I'm good.

Kind of a good thing that they are only a hundred off. Doesn’t tank the used market resale prices.
Does this apply to USA only?
Is the yearly upgrade subscription for iPhone STILL only available in USA to USA citezens?

fishmongerer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Are these discountinued.? Or still made and sold in other countries like India.?
No, they will be sold in India in a few years as budget phones.
[doublepost=1568247118][/doublepost]
Maybe because 3D Touch is not fully gone yet as you’re in a Beta and it’s trying to work at the same time as it’s autistic cousin, Haptic Touch resulting in glitchy behavior when you try it. Once the full iOS 13 is out, RIP 3D Touch. Never Forgetti
The new Apple - tried and true?

Reactions: DJ_Smith

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
^ is this valid ONLY in the United States of America!!?
Site is viewed globally ... you should start reflecting articles based on region/country so it's clear going forward, please.

I would! I'm not a shutter bug so all these camera upgrades (since the X) are WELL beyond my use case/understanding. cheaper ... most apps if not ALL iOS apps cannot use the full power of the iPhone anyhow so I'm good.

Does this apply to USA only?
Is the yearly upgrade subscription for iPhone STILL only available in USA to USA citezens?
MacRumors is a US website and Apple has a direct retail presence in 25 countries. Do you think they have the resources to research prices in 25 countries when I’m 100% sure there is an Apple-focused website in your region/language?

DJ_Smith

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
I have the max with b3 also, don’t think it’s *that* bad. And I’m a 3DT fan.
[doublepost=1568241369][/doublepost]
Don’t think it looks as bad as that in my opinion.
How’s that possible.?!
The camera bump went from - ugly- uglier- ugliest over the years. This year’s is the worst of all.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Love my XS Max. Nothing about the new iPhone is compelling to me, plus I usually upgrade every two years. No hate for those who are exited to get the new phone, but there doesn’t seem to be anything different in my opinion.

Reactions: DeepIn2U