iPhone5 to be released as early as January

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

According to our source—and we have to say that we find this part hard to believe—Apple is pushing up the release date of the fifth-generation iPhone to early 2011 (as soon as January) because of the antenna issues with the iPhone 4. It’s unknown whether this will be a repackaging of iPhone 4 components in a different shell or something more substantial. We reiterate: it’s hard to believe. But as with so many seemingly far-fetched early reports, it’s not impossible.

Link

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Seems unlikely, but you never know, the PR for the iPhone 4 launch was a complete disaster from the start.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Agreed

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm just not buying it. Now that I actually own the iPhone, I fully understand how this antenna thing has been blown out of proportion. There's nothing wrong with the iPhone 4, and no reason to push out a new generation at the turn of the New Year.

Secondly, it doesn't make sense to rush out a new phone. They're going to want to take their time to make the usual game changing improvements they like to make.

If the iPhone wasn't selling well, I might believe it, but they are flying off the virtual shelves.

5. JaSuS macrumors regular

JaSuS

No Way!!

This part better not be true....after waiting 3 weeks to get a damn phone which they (APPLE) claimed was over criticized by the media...then comes an updated version in 5 months:confused:

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Don't sweat it. It ain't gonna happen. But there will now be 1,001 threads on this same topic/rumor though. Joy.

7. chembox macrumors 6502a

They don't call this place MacRumors for nothin'. :cool:

8. AK10R macrumors regular

Nooooo! I can’t believe that I’m a loyal customer and I can’t upgrade my iPhone 4 to the new iPhone 5 in January. That’s it I’ve had it with Apple. I am sending Steve an email telling him what I think….. I think I may kill myself……..

Bawwaaaaaaaaaa…….. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh….. :eek:

;)

9. Hovey macrumors regular

If this happened they would have to be very careful as to how they market it so that current iPhone 4 users didn't demand a swap. I don't think they could release a new one soon and mention the antenna at all without legal action.

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I for one don't believe it but Apple has taken a lot of heat over the iPhone 4 and they released the iPhone 4 and shipped it a day earlier then release day so anything is possible.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Sincerely doubt it. If they were to do so, it would be a complete about-face for them regarding this whole iPhone antenna issue thing. What previously "wasn't an issue" all of the sudden is? And we're releasing a new version that will correct that? Too much pride over at Cupertino to do this. If anything, maybe small bump in specs or something but, even then, it would piss off EVERY SINGLE IP4 owner to no end. Especially since most of them are locked in for another 2 years with crappy AT&T. If they released another version AND allowed people to upgrade/trade in their IP4 for free? Then I'm on board.

12. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Seriously doubt it. Do you have any idea of how many upset (and that's putting it mildly) iP4 owners there would be if that were true?

If anything it would probably be the release of the iPhone to another carrier.

13. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

14. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

Well, if the iPhone 4 really does work just fine for most people, and this new version was nothing more than an antenna fix that most people apparently aren't even concerned about, wouldn't it be great to see the iPhone 4 price drop $100 in January? Who'd buy an iPhone 5th Gen with a fixed antenna when, for $100 less, you could just get an iPhone 4 and a cheap case?

So I guess it's either not happening, or the new one would have to offer more than just antenna tweaks.

15. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

While I doubt it, it would make good business sense.

It would be the only thing that would make me pre-order again. If they do wait until next summer, as is likely, I'll wait a good month before even thinking of buying a new iPhone.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Great

Just what we need. A rumor about the next iPhone just 5 weeks after launch of the current one!

17. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Who would get upset? Dedicated Apple fanatics don't get upset. They would sell their iPhone for a profit and buy the latest.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The only reason I could see for releasing in January is that Apple decided to go to a 6 month release cycle on the iPhone to stay competitive with the Android based phones.

19. Steveo47 macrumors regular

The antenna issue is barely noticable... no new iphone comming in jan. Is your source your brothers friend's girlfriends's dad's grampa's friend who likes to think he knows alot about apple?

20. chembox macrumors 6502a

Read the article posted [no one did], it's iLounge, they're pretty reputable.

They also mentioned a smaller iPad with a retina display, that seems really cool.

21. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Maybe this could be the Verizon or T-Mobile rumored "handset" coming... I doubt it would be an ATT phone.

22. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

this could also be apple just trying to deflect bad media and create positive spin. Releasing rumors about a bunch of new products gives everybody something to talk about besides "antennagate". Just a thought.

23. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I agree with you completely on this. The next one that comes out will be the white one.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Perhaps

Extremely doubtful though.