iPhones don't need to be any thinner. What do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wozmatic, May 19, 2016.

?

What do you thing about Apple's devices thinness?

1. Keep going thinner

2. It's perfect, focus on other improvements now

3. They're too thin already

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

It looks like we've reached the plateau of device thinness, any further and it might be too thin.

The iphone, the ipad, and the macbook are all at a size that any thinner and it would be too fragile but more importantly any smaller and it wouldn't be tactile for our hands.

The human hand isn't evolving anytime soon so let's focus on other things like a more powerful battery rather than how thin you can make the device.

Thoughts?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I think the ultimate goal at Apple is to make an iPhone that is so light, it can't shatter if dropped because it doesn't have enough mass.

3. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I am on the fence. I do believe that I rather have better battery life than a thinner phone. At the same time, until Apple design an iPhone that doesn't have to be put into a case, a thin phone means that it's still fairly thin when put into a case.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't think thickness is the most important factor to be considered. I'd say the weight is more important. I don't need a thinner phone, I think current iPhone is a little bit too thin and I really hate the protruding camera.
    If they could make the phone lighter without sacrificing battery life I'd be very happy, but I don't want a thinner iPhone with a protruding camera just to hear Phil say: is the thinner phone we've ever made.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

They can continue making the iPad and Mac even thinner. Especially the iPad. I'm all for that. I would just like a slightly thicker iPhone with iPad-level battery life.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I say thin enough. Long ago we seldom heard of bent iPhones.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They are too thin. I didn't use to have to put mine in a case, but with the 6/6+ it has gotten so thin that I can't get a good grip without a case.

8. umbrokhan macrumors member

would be nice if they think more about battery life then making the phone thinner.
    I like to see a One week battery life from a single charge not a single manufacturer has figured that one out..
    instead of making the phone thinner, CPU faster, GPU faster, would be better if Apple iphone and other OEM manufacturer sorted the battery life out instead.

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

10. umbrokhan macrumors member

iPhone 6 is O ready too thin. i don't get it why more thinner then this?
    battery life is more important...then making iPhone thin.

11. Minarets macrumors 6502

It's already awkward to hold with how thin it is, naked. It feels better to me with a case. The balance is good to hold without a case and not too big when a case is on it.

I'd take a 5s body thickness with better battery any day over thinner iPhone.

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The majority of members here want a bigger battery and an end to thinness, as you can read in any iPhone post on this site. For me, there's a lot of other things Apple could do to improve the iPhone. The battery and thinness is the least of my concerns, but I understand why the community is obsessed with those two factors.

13. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

As far as the iPad is concerned. I jumped from a 3 to an air 2 and the thinner body was welcomed.

I haven't really noticed that same effect in my jumping from a 4s-5s-6s. I do notice that my 6s battery wears down fast if I play games on it at all.I wish it was the same depth as the 5s with a bigger battery. I thought about getting the apple battery case, but it's too pricey for the battery power in it.

14. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I agree, which is why I believe it (6 - 6S+) is the perfect thickness. I have my 6S+ in an Otterbox Commuter and it seems just right to me.

15. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I gave up my 6 for an SE simply because of the size. The thicker, squared edges of the SE are much easier and more comfortable to hold, IMHO. For me it's the perfect sized phone.

16. tedley macrumors newbie

LOL! I've thought the same thing.

If they get thinner maybe Apple should sell the newer, thinner models with a complimentary can of barbasol.

You wouldn't even need an app for that!! :D

17. megagene macrumors member

megagene

I would actually prefer it if they made it a bit thicker. Super thin phones feel precarious in my hand.

18. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

They could be thinner if they were made differently. In the current form factor, my opinion is that thinner isn't better. With that aside though, I'd prefer better battery life over a thinner chassis.

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Battery life is FAR more important to me.

20. artie-ficial macrumors newbie

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I want a thinner iPhone. This way mophie can make a larger batter pack and the overall thickness won't change

22. ges macrumors member

Same here. It's more comfortable in the hand and as a whole doesn't feel as compromised e.g. protruding camera.

23. cynics macrumors G3

You want the phone to be thinner (essentially less battery) so you can purchase more battery separately, strap it onto the phone and make it thicker.............?

Not to point out the obvious but wouldn't it be preferable for you to want the phone to be the same/thicker so you can get that extra battery preinstalled in the phone? Save yourself the cost of an expensive battery case and potentially get more battery life...

24. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

The phone can be thin and have a decent battery. Galaxy s7 and s7 edge are lighter and thinner than the iPhone 6s/6s+. Yet they manage to pack in a bigger battery and has excellent battery life. Plus no ugly bezels.

25. cynics macrumors G3

The iPhone 6S/+ is thinner than every variant of the S7. And the 6S is lighter than every variant of the S7.