iPhone's So Embarrassing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlyOneThatEver macrumors member

I was showing off my new iPhone 3g to my teacher and VP, and all of a sudden, my best friend sends me a profane sexual text message, and they both see the it and suspend me for a day. There should be a feature to turn OFF sms preview while using the phone.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

There is. :rolleyes:

BL.

3. OnlyOneThatEver thread starter macrumors member

I know, but this only works when the phone is in standby

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Nice. Gotta love it. :D

Did your friend get suspended for the day too?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how can you get suspended from school on the basis of a text message? im baffled

6. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

haha

Something similar happened to me. I got a text message that said 'I'm so gay! look at the guy holding the phone! I;m gay! etc etc' everyone stopped to stare. It was in my english class when we were supposed to be reading...all was quiet. That sucked llol

7. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

How about this nifty idea, turning your phone off in class

8. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

to the OP...that sucks! what did the text say? i'm just curious.

9. unixfool macrumors 6502a

That's like you getting grounded for a friend doing prank calls to your house. You shoulda fought that one.

BUT

You should ALWAYS be aware that when you're showing someone your phone, a text msg may arrive. The same thing happened to me at work at my computer. I was helping one of my teammates with a firewall issue and during that time, his manager sends me something via IM about this teammate (performance-related) that was a bit embarrassing. Do I blame the computer? No. The manager? Maybe :)

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

School district policy at my mother's school district (high school principal) is that if you're caught with some phone or device like that, the parent has to come pick it up, and it isn't allowed on let alone for use during school hours.

It used to be that if you were caught with it, it would be confiscated, and not given back until the end of the school year.

Consider yourself lucky with just a suspension.

BL.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The moral of the story is stop showing off your phone.

12. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

sounds like a BS story to me....

a "what if this happened?" turned into a "this happened to me..."

-from a parent of teenagers and husband to a teacher of teenagers.

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Hahaha. This post is the funniest thing I've read in at least a month (and I read a lot of funny ****).

You won't have to worry about that anymore (see bold), because that's called theft.

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Yep. I'm starting to think the OP doesn't even have an iPhone.

15. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

read the OP's other threads, they are all BS, he thinks there is a master password for the iPhone well theres not...

16. shvartsies macrumors regular

In my school after it gets taken away like 3 times they keep it until the June :eek:

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Weird story and if true, your school needs a policy rethink...i think.

On a iPhone SMS note i do think its weird that the iPhone just blasts your SMS in all its glory onto the main screen. A simple dialog box saying "New Text Message from John Doe" with the options "View" or "Cancel" (with cancel option still marking the text as unread) would work waayyy better than the current system.

Also repeated alerts for missed calls/emails isn't a bad idea...why restrict it to SMSs only (this is probably why status/indicator lights like the BB/Treos would be a better idea than annoying repeated vibrations/sms tones

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that doesnt sit well with me. schools shouldnt have the right to take phones away.

19. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

I was showing off my new iPhone 3g to my teacher and VP, and all of a sudden, my best friend sends me a profane sexual text message, and they both see the it and suspend me for a day. There should be a feature to turn OFF sms preview while using the phone.

----------------------------------------------​

But even if they had that function, would you have even thought to turn it off?

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It's no more theft than when coolers are confiscated when you try an enter a concert with them.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

except a cell phone is infinitly more valuable to life outside of school than a cooler

i know i use mine as my only phone for buisness, family, everything

granted im not in school but i dont think its their place at all

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Would they take your car keys for 8 months? It's theft.

23. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

If the stated policy is to confiscate the cell phone, or any other 'banned' devices, and it's clearly stated up-front, then anyone not complying shouldn't be shocked when his phone is taken.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just because its "policy" doesnt mean its legal

25. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

It is not theft if it is written in the student handbook that cell phones are not allowed. When I was in High School, we had to sign a contract agreeing to all of the rules of the school district, one of those rules was that cell phones be turned off, and not seen. If a cell phone was heard or seen the teacher could take it up and turn it in to the principals office where a parent would actually have to come and pay a fee of 15 dollars to get the phone back. I myself refused to give up my phone to a teacher and I got sent to the office where I refused to give it up to the principal so I recieved a detention and a parent phone call. Point is, it is not theft!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.