Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RhythmAttic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2016
Yes I have searched the forum for this same question, and found similar but different discussions.

The deal is, my iPod (iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) stopped being read at all by my computer, including in Itunes, Finder, and Disk Utility, so I have no way to access it via my comp to restore.

At the same time, it's become useless to use, as it charges when connected to the computer, but then will not load, it instead remains on an old-school text image saying 'OK to disconnect' -

I went into Disk Mode, and ran diagnostics. Manual Testing -> IO - Hard drive.

HDSpecs gives me the following result:

SNO: Y3D5WPB4W
FW Revision: VS210A
LBAs: 0x12a19eb0

When I run the HDSMARTData test, it says (Device Opened) and then just says "Error." So I can't get any results there.

I opened the Ipod case up to visually inspect HD and elements, everything "looks fine" - I am guessing the issue is the hard drive, but I want to confirm before spending the money on a new HD.

I don't know what else I can do to confirm this manually, or via diagnostics - Please help me understand my options, or whether I can already know for sure the HD is beyond repair. Thanks for your time in advance -

Ryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.