Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Doesn't Surprise Me One Bit •*New Shuffle Is An Obvious Grand Slam Home Run

I knew this would happen the moment I saw it. The new iPod Shuffle is one of the most compelling products Apple has ever offered. Everything about it screams

"BUY ME" "You Must Own Me".

I am hoping I get one engraved to me from my son for Christmas. Otherwise I would have already ordered one. The fact that you can get 38 characters of engraving on it makes it an even more amazing product. Nothing has ever come to market for such an affordable price that could be customized, ala Alvin Toffler's predictions, for each buyer for FREE. I think the 2G - 1GB iPod Shuffle is one of the most revolutionary products to ever come to market.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
yeah, I just placed an order for myself yesterday. It's a great product. perfect for workout, ligth and can easily clip to your clothes.
Great price too. Good job Apple!
Now, I am waiting for the widescreen video ipod! :D Bring it on before the holidays!

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
I think the 2G - 1GB iPod Shuffle is one of the most revolutionary products to ever come to market.

Agreed... So I've ordered 4 of them. One for me, the wife and two for Christmas gifts. Unfortunately, I didn't place my order until last week when I ordered along with my new MBP. Hopefully they arrive soon. The laser engraving is just plain cool though. It's such a simple, no-brainer offering and I can't understand why more companies don't do it.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I really like the design of the 2G iPod Shuffle with only one exception; the 1G Shuffle could double as a USB flash "thumb" drive, this one cannot (unless you carry the dockling around with it). If it weren't for that, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

As for the single port that works as a headphone jack, data jack, and charger jack, that is very, very cool. I wish they'd incorporate that into all the iPods. It would make for some very neat peripherals!

I second dissapointment over not having the usb plug built in. This is the sole reason I bought a 1st Gen instead of a 2nd Gen.

I actually don't like the combo headphone/usb jack. Do you know how unrealiable 1/8" jacks are? They are easily prone to mechanical fatigue. Now double the # of times you connect and disconnect the device for syncing,etc, and I really don't expect these 2G shuffles to last long before requiring repair/replacement. What will give out first, the 1/8" jack or the battery?

Otherwise, I love everything else about the product - size, weight, all metal = cool.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I actually don't like the combo headphone/usb jack. Do you know how unrealiable 1/8" jacks are? They are easily prone to mechanical fatigue.

I've had my 2G iPod and earbuds for 4 years and I plug and unplug them every day... The 1/8" jack is still going strong. I've had my 1G Shuffle since the day it was released, no problems with the 1/8" jack there either. As a matter of fact, I can't remember ever having an 1/8" jack give out due to mechanical fatigue, nor have I read many reports of problems people are having with their iPod's 1/8" jack. I'm not too concerned.

veneficuss

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
I ordered mine around Sept 20th and received the shipping notification this past Sunday. I ordered it with the normal shipping and FedEx says it will arrive here (NY) on Nov 1st.

ultranoia

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Mine just shipped

I ordered mine on Sept. 20, and today I got the email from Apple saying that the iShuffle had shipped from China:

Oct 30, 2006 11:42 PM
Picked up SUZHOU CN
Package received after FedEx cutoff 3:01 AM
Package data transmitted to FedEx

Rubin421

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2004
New York
I ordered mine on day one, the very day it was announced, and there hasn't been any change to the shipping info: shipping on Oct. 31, estimated arrival on Nov. 7. I'm pissed off.

Outsiderdude26

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2005
New England
I ordered mine on Sept. 20, and today I got the email from Apple saying that the iShuffle had shipped from China:

Oct 30, 2006 11:42 PM
Picked up SUZHOU CN
Package received after FedEx cutoff 3:01 AM
Package data transmitted to FedEx

I got the same thing......

Estimated Delivered By: NOV 06, 2006 :(

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Mine shipped out today as well from Suzhou, China (Yangtze River Delta/Shanghai region). I guess peak season over in Asia is winding down now and the itty bitty revenue of the Shuffle can now justify the transp. costs. It was shipped Int'l Priority out of China so there is a VERY good possibility I will get it this week.

Can you tell I work in the logistics industry???

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I ordered mine on day one, the very day it was announced, and there hasn't been any change to the shipping info: shipping on Oct. 31, estimated arrival on Nov. 7. I'm pissed off.

We all have a reason to be ticked but basically it comes down to the fact that there is limited capacity out of China for the major carriers and the price of the Shuffle does not justify the peak-season (late Aug - about now) rates out of China.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
i was just about to ask in this thread if anyone had gotten theirs since it is almost the end of oct!!!!! I think apple should have said ships in Nov! I wonder what the problem is in getting them shipped so late.

Capacity/rates out of China. Think about it, ALLLLLLLLthe electronics that have to be in the stores (and clothes,etc) have to leave China from Aug to now and rates (air freight) out of China are sky high. A $80 product does not justify the high shipping costs and FedEx (and any other carrier) just has to wait for the peak shipping (and rates) to cool down.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Mine shipped out yesterday as well. It arrived in Canada a couple hours ago and has an estimated delivery of November 1st at 10:30 am. I may receive it as soon as tomorrow. :)

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
I've had my 2G iPod and earbuds for 4 years and I plug and unplug them every day... The 1/8" jack is still going strong. I've had my 1G Shuffle since the day it was released, no problems with the 1/8" jack there either. As a matter of fact, I can't remember ever having an 1/8" jack give out due to mechanical fatigue, nor have I read many reports of problems people are having with their iPod's 1/8" jack. I'm not too concerned.

well, my iPod mini, which I've been rockin since day 1 is fine, but my PowerBook on the other hand....that headphone jack gets static and is "loose." I have had that for only 2.5 years. I have ACPP, but I don't wanna go without my 'book for a week or two...

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Mine already shipped.. WTF??? COOL.

OK,

Not sure how they are filling these orders, but I ordered 4 of the new G2 shuffles just last tuesday (10/24) along with my new MBP. All 4 had laser engraving and they shipped today. Got the shipment confirm from Apple and FedEx has them in their posession, estimated delivery on 11/2 along with my MBP, separate tracking # for each one, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm happy they've been shipped, but I can't believe I haven't seen a million posts from others who ordered long before me... Weird.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
The Apple store has updated its shipping time for the shuffle. It has been saying "October" as the ship date. But now it is saying "1-2 buisness days". This is good news, indicating apple will have quantity of this product ready anyday now. I think this will be an amazing hit this Christmas. Such an easy gift to give to relatives.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I ordered one for my wife this past Sunday (29th) and it shipped today (31st) and will be delivered on Friday (Nov. 2nd). It looks like ThinkSecret got it wrong.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Received mine this morning- I gotta say, thise thing is soooo small and cute it's rediculous. Two people in my office just ordered one after seeing mine. :)

Now if only I wasn't on a pc and could bluetooth the picture I just took with my phone- it's smaller than the "fun size" 3 musketeers bar that I just ate!

hackneyed

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
I got mine this morning too but am sending it back. The aluminium sheet didn't fit snugly at all and it looked a bit crap. Normally I'm not all that fussed about things like that 'cause it'll get scratched up pretty quickly anyway but in this case I had to do something about it... The bad thing is that it's going to take up to two weeks to get the replacement :(

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
I just received mine today. Looks great, all seems well. I notice though that it is shipping with the old earbuds, not the new. Strange since I bought a 2G nano recently and it came with the new headphones. No matter though since I use some Sony's anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.