Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
I'd be happy with the new ones but I don't want the connection features, minus Spotify. I want a music player that does just that. As it stands, i'm waiting on the final parts to fix my iPod classic. If they release one though that has a 256 gig SSD, and is water proof, I might lock it down with just Spotify and iTunes and make it my new "modern" player... We'll see :)

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Not sure, but it’s more than likely going to be a spec bump.
It is really all it needs considering it is a music player first :D, so keeping it up to date with current cpu / gpu will make it last more :D.

New CPU / GPU , more ram and a better camera, and it is an instant buy :D

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just ordered a FiiO Q5 portable DAC/AMP to use primarily with my iPod Touch 128GB 6th Generation.

I bought it back in 2015 and really stripped it down to be just a music device. No apps other than CS Music (Cesium) and the Shortcuts widget which acts a launcher for my 25+ playlists.

I’d jump on a new one for either (1) 256GB of storage and/or (2) considerably improved performance and battery life.

If it’s truly just a chip upgrade I may just not unless battery life is much improved. The A8 is definitely sluggish on iOS 12, but it’s tolerable. My biggest gripe was how bad the battery life was even new. If it’s an A10 or A11 I’m hopping that whole Big-Little architecture helps because I’ll use the high-efficiency cores 99% if the time.

I really want it to stay the same size because it’s perfect for stacking with the Q5. If they remove the headphone jack it isn’t necessarily a deal breaker but they’ll need to offer something in exchange (like more storage or battery).

—-
I guess the dream for me would be an iPod Touch with its current size with an edge to edge OLED screen, headphone jack, BT Aptx for HD music streaming, and the same physical control buttons that were on the iPod Nano 7th generation. Oh well

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I’m using the 5th gen and that A5 is really sluggish but still plays music ok and even thou I have an XS Max I use the touch when I go to bed to listen to music and podcasts pretty much every night so I’d like at least an A10 and I’d like 256 gb

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Not sure, but it’s more than likely going to be a spec bump.
I would think after 7 years without a significant upgrade Apple will give the iPod Touch a complete make over. It does not compete with the iPhone even though it has a similar form factor. It’s not only been an introduction to the iPhone for many but more importantly it’s basically a highly totable member of the Apple tablet family.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I would think after 7 years without a significant upgrade Apple will give the iPod Touch a complete make over. It does not compete with the iPhone even though it has a similar form factor. It’s not only been an introduction to the iPhone for many but more importantly it’s basically a highly totable member of the Apple tablet family.
I hope so, the battery on the 6 is very bad. I don't see how they could get decent battery in the same size chassis unless maybe they remove the home button and headphone jack, even then I'm not sure. Especially considering how much more demanding newer internals or a new screen could be.

Reactions: Plutonius

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I hope so, the battery on the 6 is very bad. I don't see how they could get decent battery in the same size chassis unless maybe they remove the home button and headphone jack, even then I'm not sure. Especially considering how much more demanding newer internals or a new screen could be.

Yep, The will probably have to increase the size if they want a bigger battery.

A larger screen will require more battery so a Touch 7 will most likely have to be thicker.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Despite being more powerful, the newer chips are meant to be more power efficient, running on smaller process nodes. The MacBook Pro of this generation is a lot thinner than an old PowerBook, but has more battery life despite a much better screen and lots faster components. Battery draw goes down with newer processes.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Despite being more powerful, the newer chips are meant to be more power efficient, running on smaller process nodes. The MacBook Pro of this generation is a lot thinner than an old PowerBook, but has more battery life despite a much better screen and lots faster components. Battery draw goes down with newer processes.
I hope so, that certainly wasn't the case when the iPod touch went from A5 to A8. Even with a slightly larger battery.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I hope so, that certainly wasn't the case when the iPod touch went from A5 to A8. Even with a slightly larger battery.

I went back and watched the battery bit of the iPhone 7 release. Apple touted that the A10 Fusion chip was much more efficient with the bigLITTLE architecture and stated that the iPhone 7 would go about 2 hours longer than the iPhone 6/6S despite the battery capacity being more or less the same. Then Apple announced the A11 chip and said that the iPhone 8 would run "about the same" as the iPhone 7 despite having a slightly smaller battery.

The iPhone X and XS have about the same battery and there have been no excessive complaints that the A12 has caused battery drain. I think all thing being equal the A10-A11-or-A12 chip would all increase battery life by varying degrees.

Reactions: Paddle1

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I really am looking forward to seeing a new iPod. Hope it comes today or tomorrow with the current releases.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Will they ever release a new iPod Touch, though?
A lot are expecting 1GB and A8 devices to be dropped by iOS 13, so I guess the current model can't really keep being sold beyond June either way. There are references to a new model in iOS 12, though, so I'd say it's reasonably likely to happen. Maybe alongside 'accessories' like the new AirPods, AirPower and watch bands?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm not sure I'd buy a new one but I did like the size. I even miss my discontinued iPod Nano and it's touchscreen. I can't seem to hold onto devices for long.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I went back and watched the battery bit of the iPhone 7 release. Apple touted that the A10 Fusion chip was much more efficient with the bigLITTLE architecture and stated that the iPhone 7 would go about 2 hours longer than the iPhone 6/6S despite the battery capacity being more or less the same. Then Apple announced the A11 chip and said that the iPhone 8 would run "about the same" as the iPhone 7 despite having a slightly smaller battery.

The iPhone X and XS have about the same battery and there have been no excessive complaints that the A12 has caused battery drain. I think all thing being equal the A10-A11-or-A12 chip would all increase battery life by varying degrees.
That's good to know. So the A8-A9 jump seems to be the question. As I recall the throttle feature was originally introduced because the A9 was too hard on the 6s' battery.

Unless, of course, the newest chips
completely surpass the A9 in efficiency. Though even then it ideally should be better than the A8.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's good to know. So the A8-A9 jump seems to be the question. As I recall the throttle feature was originally introduced because the A9 was too hard on the 6s' battery.

Unless, of course, the newest chips
completely surpass the A9 in efficiency. Though even then it ideally should be better than the A8.

I’d be shocked if after 4 years Apple only jumps one generation of processor especiallt considering the new iPads and the fact that they like to let this product simmer. If they give it an A12 they can let it sit for a while.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I’d be shocked if after 4 years Apple only jumps one generation of processor especiallt considering the new iPads and the fact that they like to let this product simmer. If they give it an A12 they can let it sit for a while.
Oh no I expect it to get the A12. What I meant was if there could be an increase in power draw from the A8 to A9 (and anything newer) along with any new components and if it could overpower the chip optimizations they've made since then.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Oh no I expect it to get the A12. What I meant was if there could be an increase in power draw from the A8 to A9 (and anything newer) along with any new components and if it could overpower the chip optimizations they've made since then.
I think the reduced process size helps reduce power draw, the A8 in the current 6th gen is also under-clocked very slightly (1.1Ghz rather than 1.4 in the iPhones) so they might do the same for the 7th gen to help it not empty it's battery in moments.

Reactions: Paddle1

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I predict they will have to make the device thicker, that is if they redesign the chassis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.