iPod Touch and iOS Media Event Scheduled for Mid-August?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Claimed next-generation iPod touch LCD and front bezel showing apparent camera hole
MacMagazine reports (Google translation) that it has received information from a "reliable source within Apple" that the company is planning to hold its traditional September iPod-focused media event a bit early this year, with the middle of this month appearing to be the targeted date.
The MacMagazine today received information from a reliable source within Apple about a new event to the press that the company was planning to soon. Although the schedule cite the source as somewhere around 14 and 16, we bet our chips on a Monday or Tuesday - that is, 16 or August 17.
According to the source, the event will include a focus on the company's next-generation iPod touch, as well as information on an iOS 4 release for iPad. Revisions to other iPod models would also appear to be a reasonable expectation, although the report does not have confirmation as to whether they would be launched at the August event or held until the following month.

Rumors about the next-generation iPod touch have been circulating in recent weeks, with continuing evidence in both software betas and parts leaks suggesting that we can expect a front-facing FaceTime camera in the new iPod touch.

The rumored timeframe for Apple's media event also corresponds to a claimed August 17th release date for iLife '11. It is not immediately clear how an iLife update would directly relate to Apple's typically tightly-focused iPod events held around this time of the year, but rumors have also claimed that Apple will be introducing a new mystery application in the suite, and it is possible that the addition could be tied into iPod/iOS enhancements.

Article Link: iPod Touch and iOS Media Event Scheduled for Mid-August?

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe this will explain why 4.1 Beta 3 was released a week earlier than it typically is. Looks like we may be getting 4.1 in two weeks. :) We could have another beta on Tuesday (Beta 4) and a GM on the 16th, with 4.1 being released to the public later on that week. Sounds about right.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
We should know for sure on Monday if Apple send invites out to the press.

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Wouldn't they wait for the back to school promo to end before holding the event like they usually do?

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
may sound weird but would love to see printing from an iOs device

also a price-reduced or storage upgraded iPod Classic

enigma2118

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
cheap 3g data only plan? come on!

I would love for a cheap 3g data only plan ipod touch. Not expecting it. But I think it would be a good idea for Apple. With the Sprint Peel and all these new MiFi devices (some, like the Peel, aimed directly at the ipod touch or wifi only ipad) coming out in the last month or two, Apple and AT&T are going to loose some potential customers.

It's really what I want too. I don't want a cell phone. But I do want internet in my pocket.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Wouldn't they wait for the back to school promo to end before holding the event like they usually do?
They have released new iPods before the promo ends before but they just didnt include them in the promotion.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes, exactly. I'd believe iLife in August. Maybe iPad with iOS 4. But definitely not anything iPod until after the promo ends on September 7.
One year iPods came out a week before it ended, but the promo only applied to the older models.Edit: beaten to it.

And I agree with the poster above, iLife for iOS is definitely possible.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
No. I want the original rumor from today. I want to hear words about a new Mac out of Steve's mouth. :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I would love for a cheap 3g data only plan ipod touch. Not expecting it. But I think it would be a good idea for Apple. With the Sprint Peel and all these new MiFi devices (some, like the Peel, aimed directly at the ipod touch or wifi only ipad) coming out in the last month or two, Apple and AT&T are going to loose some potential customers.

It's really what I want too. I don't want a cell phone. But I do want internet in my pocket.
Ummm bro,why not just get and iPhone, or EVO or Droid X and ummm, ya know, ummmm have a phone with constant data all in one? maybe?

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
.... Apple and AT&T are going to loose some potential customers.
Apple isn't going to lose out on any customers, they'll still sell tons of the iPod Touch, especially if the newest version includes FaceTime. AT&T is the one losing out when people buy the iPod Touch.

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
If apple is smart they'll give the touch that 5mp camera with 720p. I mean they could market it as the recording ipod to compete with flip.

TJM6

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Saint Louis, Mo

That's actually pretty cool -- and I've never thought about Apple going that direction with the iPod Touch. I'm wondering if Apple would really go with a five-ish-inch model iOS device as well. It's crazy, but The iPod Touch seems like it's in a weird spot, especially that 64GB SKU at $400. Maybe they are selling well, but I don't see why they can't evolve the high-end Touch into a mid-level device, perhaps with a data only plan to compete with the onslaught of some of these big-ass Android phones/MIDs.

BTW, I think it's impossible that Apple would release both five AND seven inch iPads/iPods.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Apple isn't going to lose out on any customers, they'll still sell tons of the iPod Touch, especially if the newest version includes FaceTime. AT&T is the one losing out when people buy the iPod Touch.
AT&T isn't losing out on iPads though, and really AT&T is losing anything, they're probably happy people get iPod touches, the touch makes people want an iPhone, unless theyre just plain silly or under 16 years old

mrmambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
What would be in iLife suite?

Why is everyone talking about iLife suite on iOS? All the apps (essentially) are on the iPhone/iPad already or are unnecessary:
- iPhoto = Photos
- iMove = iMovie

Would you really want Garageband or iWeb on the iDevices? The former is served by many apps in the store and the latter would be cumbersome on the iPhone.

What am I missing?

ho11and

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
no love for the apple TV? what ever happen to the rumors regarding the new ios unit?