Ipod Touch Camera!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brandonb0013, Jun 22, 2008.

1. brandonb0013 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think that with technology these days, someone would be able to make a compact camera that fits into the dock connector of any if the iPod's, and apple would have to allow it. Leaves me your comments!

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Why do you want a camera on your iPod when you can have a sweet laser pointer?

3. brandonb0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like the idea of a flashlite and and laser that runs off the iPod, but I want to talk about something sleek and small that someone could make millions off from. Something that could be attatched to the dock connector and take pictures. The camera is the one most important thing that the iPhone has that any other iPod doesn't have.

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Why would Apple let 3rd-parties create a camera accessory, when they could easily create one themselves, and make not millions but billions? -
    Plus the fact, iPhone has a camera to make it seem more desirable than iPod touch. Make no mistake, Apple want you to buy the iPhone. :cool:

R-Fly

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I thought it was the phone part :eek:

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

that was sarcasm. The touch doesn't need a camera (or a laser pointer, for that matter) because it's an iPod, not a camera.

7. brandonb0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

except I dont hve a use for a phone. I just txt and I do that through email. But there are a lot of times that I would like to take a picture but I'm not a retard that carries a phone a camera, and an iPod.

8. Squires macrumors regular

Squires

Spose it would be a good idea 'cos if you forget your phone or just cba taking it you have your iPod with the camera connector on a snap away! Plus you can upload your snaps to Flickr or whatever!

9. brandonb0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

u have a great idea with the flikr thing. KEEP EM COMING. IF I GET ENOUGH ILL TELL APPLE ABOUT IT!!! Maybe they will think about it.

10. brandonb0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

stop with the laser pointer thing. Its not that great.

11. zflauaus macrumors 65816

It's called a joke, dude. MacRumors is filled with them, so you just have to get used to it.

Apple wouldn't develop an addon camera for the iPod touch because they would see it as cannibalizing iPhone sales as it's one less thing that differentiates the two. Perhaps somebody (Griffin, Belkin, etc.) will make a camera accessory, but they'd also have to develop software for it and that's the final straw: if they can get Apple to approve the software for it or now.

12. brandonb0013 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize that but the main reason I want peoples opinions is because I can send this page (after I get a lot of replys) to apple, griffin, and all the other iPhone and iPod accessory makers. The part I think would be the best is that it would work on all iPods (except the shuffle) and wouldn't cost a hell of a lot.

13. whiteness macrumors member

14. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

15. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Another reason why they wouldn't make it (even low cost) is that the market isn't there. Most people who have their iPod with them have their cell phone, and chances are, 95% of those phones have a camera in them. Plus, they'd probably take better pictures than a clip-on accessory for your iPod.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

From my personal perspective of phones on devices, which I think that Apple is following with this, I feel that a camera on an electronic device that is not purely a camera should be reserved to cell phones, but then again, the iPod touch isn't your standard electronic device. But as others have said, it is one more reason to buy an iPhone over the iPod touch.

17. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, first off, Apple won't listen to any of your suggestions because they don't want you to then bring about the legal implications of using your idea. Secondly, it is impossible for a third party to develop software for the iPod touch that will be able to enable a dock connector connected camera because Apple won't allow apps on the app store that access the dock connector for accessories (as it says somewhere in my developer stuff for the iPhone/iPod touch). It's not impossible to get an iPod to be able to use a camera attachment, but it involves warranty breaking and "jailbreaking" or something of the sort, which is something that won't sell very well. So, as great of an idea as this might have been, I think not. I've wanted a camera on an iPod for a while and always though it would be great, but maybe that's because I had no camera on my cell phone. No problem with that when I can buy an iPhone 3G.

18. only macrumors regular

maybe.. but you turned it into gold when you took him seriously LOL

they're smart people, i'm sure all of this has occurred to them but more importantly like sane people they'll rightfully disregard some message board thread an anonymous guy from the internet sent them

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

how many more of these threads are gonna be started? seriously if you want the touch with a camera just get a bloody iPhone.

the touch is and always has been an iPod with extended features, its a MUSIC player at best all you would probably get is a 2mp camera if anyone made an accessory but then you would also need a hardware mod and software on the touch (which would in turn mean the company endorses jailbreaking) for it to work with the touch. end of the day it aint happening just go buy a digital camera

20. only macrumors regular

how about GPS??

lol

i'll start another thread for that

21. whiteness macrumors member

i already say!!!!:eek:
    theres no gps or 64gb, for ipod touch
    if u want gps ur option is iphone

22. only macrumors regular

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If the iPhone is too thin for anything more than a 2MP camera, I think we can pretty much rule out an internal camera for the iPod Touch.

24. whiteness macrumors member

then get an iphone...
    easy huh?

25. only macrumors regular

but i want it on my ipod touch