Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

During Apple's conference call today, Apple executives described the iPod touch as a potentially the "first mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform, running all kinds of mobile applications".

This is the first time that Apple has referred to the iPod touch as anything more than a high end iPod, with newly articulated expectations that the iPod touch would be a new Wi-Fi enabled mobile platform with a focus on mobile applications.

Apple did release an application update ($20) for the iPod touch at Macworld, now giving it feature parity to the iPhone. Apple is planning on launching a Software Developer's Kit (SDK) in February for both the iPod touch and iPhone, and it appears that Apple is approaching this seriously.

There have been reports that some early developers have already received copies of the SDK and are already working on iPod/iPhone applications. No announcements have yet been made about general developer accessibility to the SDK.

Article Link

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
I heard him say that, and frankly...it was pretty cool to hear. That's an example of how Apple keeps assembling pieces to the grand puzzle.

Comment

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Looking good for lots of new Apps like we have widgets for our Macs this year to give us all sorts of additional functionality. They gotta release that SDK soon :mad:

Comment

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Alberta
I heard him say that, and frankly...it was pretty cool to hear. That's an example of how Apple keeps assembling pieces to the grand puzzle.

honestly i dont think apple had these thoughs in mind when FIRSt developing the iPod Touch.

In fact steve made it clear that he only considered the iPod Touch a high-end iPod.

Thing that i think is making apple think this way now is ALL the 3'rd party support the device has gotten throuhg jailbreaking. sure steve doesnt like jailbreakers... but he can't help but admit that ALOT of support from ALOT of people have gone into it, and that it's obvious this device could become something EXTREMELY big if he allows it.

Comment

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
If the iPod Touch is the 'Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform', then what does that make the iPhone, the 'Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform, Plus Phone'?

Comment

dopplerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
Like Skype?

Or any other VOIP service... Apple needs to spend more time listening to customers and less time following MBAs.

Comment

TedB

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I am so glad that they are now taking this stance towards how they view the future of the ipod touch/iPhone. As long as apple allows the SDK and the hardware to be used to its full potential, then I think they will have no problem making it the "Mainstream wi-fi mobile platform" of choice. Though, I really don't have much hope for making the SDK as open as we all want it. There are so many possibilities, yet I am sure that apple is going to limit what the device will be able to do.

If the iPod Touch is the 'Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform', then what does that make the iPhone, the 'Mainstream Wi-Fi Mobile Platform, Plus Phone'?

my guess is it makes the iPhone the "Premium Mobile Platform" ... sounds nice.. no need to have wifi in the title since it also has EDGE

Comment

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Whoa!

The iPhone/Touch SDK is going to be pretty powerful if it's going to back that statement up...

Comment

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
California
I was skeptical about what the iPod touch would provide if the iPhone was so powerful in the market, and was on the fence for a while about getting one...but I realized that when the SDK comes out the apps on it are going to be stellar and it is worth having 16 GB of space rather than the 8GB, battery-eating, all-in-one solution.

This touch is an iPod, PDA, and an excellent sidekick when on the road. The battery life has been amazing and the music is excellent while having a great organizing calendar, notes, mail, and map device. This software update is the beginning of exciting things to come for it and I am glad I adopted the device now.

I expect a 30 GB one out when back-to-school hits for a larger PDA solution for college kids, as now that college campuses are wired to have wi-fi everywhere, this is the perfect device.

Comment

Llywelyn

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Or any other VOIP service...

With what microphone?

Apple needs to spend more time listening to customers and less time following MBAs.

You mean that they should listen to *you*. Built-in VOIP in an iPod Touch would be nice but is, functionally, not even all that useful to me at the moment. If the features required to use that were included, it would be extra expense at no real benefit. The people making decisions at Apple evidently feel that this is true for a sufficiently high percentage of their customers to not make it worthwhile vs. what they did include.

Write them a suggestion and see if they follow it in a future release. In the meantime, you aren't their target market.

Comment

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Now - if Apple would only create an 8 inch screen/battery combo with USB keyboard and mouse (bluetooth option would be good) - that an iPhone or Touch could plug into to provide the CPU and storage, then you would have a killer ultra-portable platform.

If the SDK is up to giving us pocket iWorks.

Comment

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I definitely noticed them putting a real emphasis on that during the call.

I guess it all but confirms that Apple will be taking a nice cut out of all apps sold on the iTunes store. But what will that cut be? I'm guessing 10%, which I think is the same as the Made for iPod programme.

Comment

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I think they planned it this way from the start; all that is changing is how they are presenting it now the SDK is nearly ready. Why go to all the trouble of building a mobile platform, if you are only to support a limited set of functions?

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
With what microphone?

Third-party microphones.

The hand-built microphone that I just bought from the Touchmods team for my iPod touch works great with the SIP-VoIP application released for jailbroken iPods.

I've already made several overseas calls using the setup.

Comment

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
honestly i dont think apple had these thoughs in mind when FIRSt developing the iPod Touch.

In fact steve made it clear that he only considered the iPod Touch a high-end iPod.

Thing that i think is making apple think this way now is ALL the 3'rd party support the device has gotten throuhg jailbreaking. sure steve doesnt like jailbreakers... but he can't help but admit that ALOT of support from ALOT of people have gone into it, and that it's obvious this device could become something EXTREMELY big if he allows it.

Steve has made a lot of things clear in the Past, even while having products underdevelopment in the background. When Steve says no he means not yet. If he says maybe then he hasn't really looked in to it.

They may have been caught short on timing and pressured to move it forward, but as the jailbreakers will tell you after they mucked around in the the innards. The SDK was always planned.

Comment

Llywelyn

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Third-party microphones.

The hand-built microphone that I just bought from the Touchmods team for my iPod touch works great with the SIP-VoIP application released for jailbroken iPods.

I've already made several overseas calls using the setup.

Good to know, I didn't realize someone had managed an external microphone ^_^

I think this proves the point more than anything. If this keeps working after the SDK is released then apple's built-in support for it is not required.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

Good question. It seemed that originally Apple was trying to differentiate the Touch from the iPhone. Now the line is blurring even more. I mentioned in another post about the FCC auctioning off parts of the UHF spectrum in the near future, specifically for WiFi usage. That could greatly expand the usefulness of the Touch, not having to hunt for hot spots. (Of course, I'd have to then buy a new Touch to receive that frequency. Ah well, life in the fast lane...)

I too really love the device, and eagerly show it to everyone I can. It's a great example of technology done right.

Now if Apple would only fix the Calendar alarm. ;)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.