Iron Man!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tjcampbell, May 1, 2008.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I've just seen it and it's AWESOME. Robert Downey Jr is perfect. Great action, superb effects and the dialogue is cracking.

It's definitely in the top three superhero movies of all time.

Anyone else out there seen it yet?

Do you plan on seeing Iron Man?

Oh.. and as a bonus there is a new (and way better) theatrical trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, plus a new trailer for the new Will Smith alcoholic superhero film, Hancock.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

RD, Jr. as Iron Man?? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think this does a disservice to the Ironman competition held in Hawaii.

3. The New macrumors newbie

Plan on seeing it when it comes out. I'm expecting the story to be average, with amazing special effects. Can't wait!

4. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

I plan on seeing it too. I liked the feel I got from the trailers for it and the fact that they are using Black Sabbath's song. Is that just in the trailers or do they use BS' Iron Man in the actual film??

5. JoshLV macrumors regular

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Iron Man was on TV back in the early 60s where I lived. They were showing an old serial from 1924 on the local ABC station when it first came to our area.

7. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I was skeptical about seeing this at first (as it felt like just another excuse to make another superhero movie), but the ratings/reviews this film is getting are exceptionally high...

8. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

It's got a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes right now. I think I'll have to go see this...

9. supersize macrumors member

Just got home from seeing it and I agree it is one of the best comic book movies ever. The story and the effects are both really good. Be sure to stick around after the credits too for a glimpse of things to come.

I'd give it an 8.5/10

10. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

GOOD GOD.

Two Words: SEE IT.

Amazing movie, and I never even liked the Iron Man comics.

OP is right, definitely in the top three superhero movies of all time.

Downey was BORN TO PLAY THIS ROLE.

The parallels and to perfect.

11. jasylonian macrumors regular

So... how about Yen Sin suddenly becoming Yensin and turning into a white guy? Thanks, Hollywood, for writing more Asians out of stories.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're only allowed to be Chinese in a movie if you're female, silly.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Shaun Toub is Persian. They had to change that because it's no longer set in 'Nam, it's now in Afghanistan. Could have been worse. Do you really want the Mandarin as he was in the comics?

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Yes. Yes I Do. there is not enough green people anymore, they need more representation. Comic books are fantasy, loosely based on reality, the mandarin could have gone green cos he was involved in a copper smelting incident or was just a bit ill. Its a movie and dose not have to make complete sense

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I never thought that Robert Downey would make a good superhero, but you guys are changing my mind. I'll have to see it.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That wasn't what I meant. When he first was introduced, he was a horrible stereotype. I don't know what he is now, I heard he's been updated, and I was never really that familiar with the comic, but what I've seen of the original was terrible. They couldn't do that now. I have faith Favreau or whoever does the next one will try something cool, and I wouldn't have a problem with green hues, but it's gotta be better than it was and the movie was completely believable with what they've done with the Afghanistan update given the current time period.

Maybe we can save the Asian stereotype for the sequel. ;)

17. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

Everything was great about the movie. Roles were cast great. Robert Downey Jr. is the perfect Iron Man. The movie was full of action, great effects, and really funny. My girlfriend saw it and said it was her favorite movie she's seen so far this year. I would truly agree. I can't wait for Iron Man 2 in 2010.

Go see it and make sure you stay till the very end of the credits!!!

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, this thread has honestly got me pretty interested in this movie. I never even heard of the movie til I read about it here, so when it comes out in Australia, I may take a look-see.

19. alFR macrumors 68020

It is indeed awesome. Ranks along with Batman Begins in the superhero genre for me.

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It was boring as ****, the plot moved at a snails pace.

21. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

IMO, Ironman competitions do a disservice to the Ironman movie. The competitors can't even fly or launch rockets.

:D

22. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Another Iron Man lover here. I thought the movie, and Robert Downey Jr's portrayal were fantastic.

23. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Better than the Spider-Mans

Though I wanted more Black Sabbath DURING the movie rather than during the credits :(

But Iron Man IS the alcoholic superhero :p

I did get a kick out of Tony drinking as much as he did.

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

Just watched the movie, it was good. I was skeptical that Robert Downey Jr would fit in, but somehow he made iron man more believable, I don't know whether it was his acting or the writing.

25. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I have yet to see the movie, but I will see it soon. As for Robert Downey, Jr. playing the role of Tony Stark, I can't think of anyone better suited. Tony Stark is a wealthy playboy with a history of alcohol abuse. Downey's history of substance abuse and celebrity perfectly sets him up for this role. It was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to the film.