Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is 11 Pro worth the extra $300 vs 11?

• Yes, the 11 Pro is worth the extra $300

Votes: 166 57.8%
  • No, get the "regular" 11 and save some money

Votes: 121 42.2%

• Total voters

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
i bought mine for 717 off swappa after tax. i wouldn't pay 750+ tax(60) + activation(40) for iphone 11 tbh.

Definitely not worth full price, a 256gb is $1449 here, my 64gb XR i got new for $600, over $500AUD off retail at the time off gumtree, used it for 8 months and sold it for $900 :)

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
It really depends. I think for most people it is not, but for enthusiasts you get the best iPhone experience with the Pro/max

Reactions: breezyf808

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
At first I thought I regretted purchasing the 11 pro max.
In the end, my only regret is not purchasing the next tier storage capacity. Although will set up family iCloud service with wife to alleviate photo data. I also have a spare 2tb external hard drive that I can store my photos, but procrastinating.
I’m not a photographer, but I now like to play with my camera while just in town or goofing off with my son.
I need the big screen because this is my main video/tv streamer and also I need the long battery life.
I can now be worry-free and not charge my phone for almost 48 hours.
Some days like today, I need to stream back and forth on youtube changing my wife’s front and rear brake pads (while streaming Spotify in between) and will still not worry of charging til tomorrow.
If I finish early we will pro go out into town to enjoy a free family friendly concert courtesy of the town’s university.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It really depends. I think for most people it is not, but for enthusiasts you get the best iPhone experience with the Pro/max

I don’t even think the phone size is an issue anymore, because everyone carries a large display-phone with them. It’s the price that’s the ‘turn off’, but I will say that carriers are making it easier with trade-ins and promotions. But if you look at the iPhone 11, that’s Apple’s best selling iPhone, just as the 2018 XR was, Because both those phones are relatively affordable in certain markets. (Plus, Apple reduced the price of the 2019 11 by $50, which surprised me.)

Reactions: rui no onna

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
The 11 makes the switch easier. I really wanted the AW 5 so i had to get an iPhone. I couldnt justify paying 1250€ and 400-500€ for the AW so went with the 11 because the screen is very good and sharp for me. In the end i payed 1200€ for the AW 5 LTE and an iPhone 11 128. For me its the best combination, i do a lot of sports so the best tracker is more important than the best screen if the screen of the lower end model is also very good and i cant see much difference in sharpness to my OP 7 Pro.

After one week of using both devices i habe to say the AW is awesome in tracking sports and as a smartwatch except that the update to 6.1.1 is failing since 2 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucemr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 11 makes the switch easier. I really wanted the AW 5 so i had to get an iPhone. I couldnt justify paying 1250€ and 400-500€ for the AW so went with the 11 because the screen is very good and sharp for me. In the end i payed 1200€ for the AW 5 LTE and an iPhone 11 128. For me its the best combination, i do a lot of sports so the best tracker is more important than the best screen if the screen of the lower end model is also very good and i cant see much difference in sharpness to my OP 7 Pro.

After one week of using both devices i habe to say the AW is awesome in tracking sports and as a smartwatch except that the update to 6.1.1 is failing since 2 days.
I’ve got the Apple Watch Series 5 Nike and it’s a huge improvement on the Series 2 for me. Superb for activity tracking I agree. I couldn’t not have an AW now as I rely on it so much throughout the day. Getting the 11 and a S5AW makes the outlay much more stomach-able in terms of cost I would imagine lol. I think you’re right about the screen being fine, I’ve never felt the XR I use is poor quality by any stretch. I think some get a bit too hung up on figures they see on a spec sheet without realising it’s very different in use. Glad you’ve got the setup you enjoy :)

Reactions: nill1234

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
So now you have a OLED screen watch and a cheap lcd phone screen, makes sense lol.
I happen to like the LCD on my iPhone 7 Plus more than my OLED on my 11 Pro Max. The colors are more vivid to me. Which is why Android OLED with options to use dynamic colors appeal to me so much.

Sense is relative to the person when it comes to their device preference.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
May need to swap that pro max then.
I already swapped one. The display units were the same. I know Apple has their own ideas on "true colors" and I don't agree. I'm okay with my Pro Max now that I've found a sweet spot through color filters under accessibility. It makes it a bit blue but other colors pop. Plus keeping auto brightness off seems to help for some reason.

I am okay with this device but I'm not about to keep playing the screen lottery. In 15 months when my update comes available, I'll decide what I want to do then.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
According to Tim Cook during the earnings call today:

"Customers responding to iPhone 11 in particular thanks to battery life and camera."​

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I prefer the LCD screen on the 11 vs the OLED on the Pro. This is despite my annoyance with the increased size on the "regular" 11. The colors/contrast on the OLED are more intense, but the LCD is easier on my eyes. I can read on the LCD phone much longer and with less eye strain than I can on the OLED phone. I really hope the SE2 LCD phone rumors are true, I'd consider switching to get the smaller size again. Only thing is, I'm now spoiled by the 11 battery life.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
No, haven’t tried night shots yet as only got the phone at 11am. Will use it for a whole day and night so I can check out such features to see if they sway me.

No idea about the battery as am working from home and so have only used it for a few photos and web browsing therefore no battery analysis is possible. My xr battery is great so it isn’t a major concern, albeit getting the best battery you can is always a key factor in an iPhone purchase. No doubt the pro max will be better than the xr but I’ve got 100% battery health and get circa 7.5 hours screen time per full cycle so don’t think that will be enough to persuade me to spend £54 a month.
Any other key features I’m missing?

Perhaps I’m in the ‘doesn’t notice finer details’ camp because I can’t see much of an upgrade from xr to pro max. I do like the extra size but that’s not enough on its own.
Decision made, the Pro Max is going back and I will stick with my XR until September/October. It's a great phone but, apart from the camera, it's just a slightly bigger XR so cannot justify £54 a month. By the time I upgrade in October that'll be £432 I've saved which will take the hit out of upgrading. I will then most likely go with the IUP or 24 month financing option on the 12. What I don't like the idea of though is the size of the new phones (12 pro max rumoured to be taller than 11 pm) - for me the Pro Max is a great size and the max I would want (can just about use it one handed), but there you go.

XR to Pro max would just be a camera improvement but XR to 12 will be a noticeable speed bump, better camera, 5G (if they include it), hopefully smaller bezels etc. so will feel like a worthwhile upgrade.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
If you can’t see the difference between OLED and lcd side by side might be time to see about glasses.
I see what you mean now. I didn't really give the pro max a chance because in my head I didn't fancy the cost but for the past week I have had an iphone 11pro as my xr has been with Apple for 'servicing' (ie., they had no idea how to resolve my camera issues/have no desire or time to so sent me a replacement) and having used it for a week as my main phone I really can tell the difference. The oled screen is fantastic and my XR now feels like a step down!
[automerge]1582027504[/automerge]
No, haven’t tried night shots yet as only got the phone at 11am. Will use it for a whole day and night so I can check out such features to see if they sway me.

No idea about the battery as am working from home and so have only used it for a few photos and web browsing therefore no battery analysis is possible. My xr battery is great so it isn’t a major concern, albeit getting the best battery you can is always a key factor in an iPhone purchase. No doubt the pro max will be better than the xr but I’ve got 100% battery health and get circa 7.5 hours screen time per full cycle so don’t think that will be enough to persuade me to spend £54 a month.
Any other key features I’m missing?

Perhaps I’m in the ‘doesn’t notice finer details’ camp because I can’t see much of an upgrade from xr to pro max. I do like the extra size but that’s not enough on its own.
As i have been using an 11 pro for a week, I have now tried the night mode for photos and agree that it is great, a massive uplift from the XR. I didn't really give the 11PM a chance but can now see how good it is. Probably a good thing as if i had trialled that for a week I would have ended up keeping it and being £54/month down!!

It is odd how quickly we get used to different size phones as before trialling the 11 pro I felt that the XR was the minimum I would like but I actually quite like the size of the 11 pro. That said, I think the 6.1" is the sweet spot for me so look forward to the 12 pro, assuming that the rumours come to fruition.

Last edited:

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Of course its a step down but in day to day use the display is perfectly fine. But on the other hand is it worth more than 300$? For me definetely not because its 400€ more here.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Of course its a step down but in day to day use the display is perfectly fine. But on the other hand is it worth more than 300$? For me definetely not because its 400€ more here.
Agreed. Once I've been using the XR again for a week I will have forgotten about the difference. Good point about the value. I do love the premium and slightly sleeker feel of the pro so my happy medium is keep the XR until October (by which point I'll have saved £486 by not getting the pro max) and splash out on the 12 pro.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think anybody would deny there is not a difference between OLED and LCD with OLED being technically better. The difference just wouldn’t make me feel compelled to spend a further £300 when I’m happy with what LCD offers on a phone. For those who absolutely have to have OLED and don’t mind the premium, great, there’s no right or wrong answer.

If the next iPhones are all OLED and the cost isn’t affected then great too.

Reactions: Mac2019

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Everyone takes photos. Everyone should have the best camera possible. The iPhone 11 Pro camera system is the best in the world. So yes, it's totally worth a few extra bucks going "Pro".

frocco

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2009
Hello,

I miss having the iPhone, have Apple TV, Macbook Air.
It's going to cost me some money as I have to payoff the Pixel 4XL.
Nothing wrong with the Pixel, Verizon says they will give me 395 off the iphone.

Should I purchase the iPhone 11 to save 300.00?
Or is the pro worth it.

I plan on getting an Apple Watch also at some point.

Thanks

Reactions: ruslan120

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
+1 for the Pro, strictly because I like the added zoom lens. Is it worth the added 300 clams, nope, but oh well. I'm a sucker I guess...

Reactions: 26139

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Oh man I know this feeling waaaaay too well.

I know a few people with the 11 that absolutely love them. I prefer the smaller size of the Pro but I think you'll be happy either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.