iPhone X Is a 6.1" LCD iPhone X even possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deuxani, Mar 31, 2018.

1. deuxani, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018

deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

We are talking rumours here, but all the rumours point to a "cheaper" 6.1" LCD iPhone with similar looks to the X, next to an updated X and a Plus size model X:

[​IMG]

After reading an interview with the communications guy of OnePlus (https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/28/17152840/oneplus-6-notch-size-android-flagship) it made me wonder. Android makers are not able to replicate the iPhone X's bottom half because it's too difficult and expensive to engineer and therefore all of them have a bezel for the display drivers. They are still using OLED though and we know how nice and flexible those screens are.

So how is Apple going to create a LCD screen with rounded corners, a cut out for FaceID and fold the screen on the bottom to put the display drivers behind the screen and make it low cost? Even if we forget about the low cost part, can these things even be done with LCD screens? My understanding was that at least the display drivers would need a bezel of some sorts.

I'm thinking now that maybe the LCD version will have FaceID but no notch, just a small top bezel but also a bottom bezel.

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Japan Display has the technology, which is who Apple is rumored to be sourcing the LCD display for the 6.1" 2018 iPhone. Low cost is relative here, it will be cheaper than the current iPhone X, but probably as expensive as the current 8 Plus which doesn't really qualify as "low cost" in my books.

[​IMG]

Here is the news release from Japan Display:
    http://www.j-display.com/english/news/2017/20170619.html

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

This theory gets brought up every couple months.

The answer is yes. It is very possible. JDI has demonstrated thin-bezel LCD products with notches. They have demoed these LCDs several times and the last time being September 2017.

upload_2018-3-31_9-44-12.jpeg

upload_2018-3-31_9-42-46.jpeg

upload_2018-3-31_9-43-2.jpeg

4. teeshot44 macrumors regular

teeshot44

And apple has proven many people wrong many times. Don't ever tell Apple they can't do something.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Something else you didn’t mention, is this cheaper 6.1 LCD iPhone is also rumored to eliminate 3D Touch, which will decrease the cost and it will have An aluminum housing without any wireless charging capabilities. So in a sense, it’s a step backwards from the iPhone 8 if that is rumored to be true.

6. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I have seen the rumor about it not having 3D touch which I quite frankly find hard to believe, but maybe it is difficult to implement with the "Full Active" LCD display? Aluminum housing instead of stainless steel seems very likely but I would also be surprised if it didn't include wireless charging. If all the rumors are true (the two you mentioned plus single lens camera) it will be making a lot of compromises versus the 8 series just to have FaceID and minimal bezels. The price is the critical factor I guess, but since rumors are pointing to a $799 price point it doesn't exactly scream good value with all the compromises, but that's just my opinion.

7. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

I’d consider it a step in the right direction if all that makes the phone noticeably lighter than the current X.

8. CPx macrumors 6502a

Regarding 3D touch, I wonder if it's the taptic engine or the pressure sensing tech that's the hard part. I hate to lose the taptic engine. I would also hate to lose the text cursor, so I would hope they give us a way to activate it somehow.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It’s the 3-D pressure sensing module. Tim Cook commented during the iPhone 6s keynote how difficult it was to implement into the iPhone, so in theory, some have speculated that’s why there is no 3D touch implemented into a larger device like the iPad because of the manufacturing difficulty level.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

i doubt it will have faceID.

so yes, it will be possible

11. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

So what will it have instead?

12. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

Washed out lcd display, no 3D Touch, no Taptic Engine. Yeah, this isn’t exciting anyone.

13. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

“Washed out”. Accurate colors are considered trash these days I guess :rolleyes:

14. puma1552 macrumors 603

I think this phone is a money grab to the nth degree. Most people buying a cheaper phone probably don't want a phone that big - like my wife - who will now instead shell out $900-$100 for the 5.8" XI or whatever they call it just because it'll be the smallest option (SE excepted).

15. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I’d suggest a little research on the 6.1” LCD before making such comments. You’ll be quite impressed. Besides, once Micro LED is ready OLED will be burning out, not in. :apple:

16. aohus macrumors 68000

touchID

17. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

Starting to sound like an SE+.

18. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

It's still old tech that can't properly reproduce blacks. Been there, done that. No thanks.

So you haven't used a X then.

19. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

not without a home button. Apple isn’t planning on making another iPhone with the same features as the 8.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m not sure how close you have been paying attention to Apple, but touch ID is no longer going to be in existence for future iPhones (Unless its a budget SE 2). More specifically, the three iPhones are rumored for fall 2018 is a 6.1/5.8/6.5 iPhone X all with Face ID capabilities. Tim Cook stated Face ID is the future, which I would say eliminates touch ID almost all together for future iPhones.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think there are more important fundamental features missing if the rumours are true. The screen quality is way down the list of concerns when things like 3DTouch are apparently missing.

22. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

It would be hard to imagine Apple releasing this phone with no 3D Touch, dual camera or wireless charging when the iPhone 8+ will have all this and be lower priced as of September

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I have a horrible feeling Apple are bargaining on the fact the looks alone will tempt people into buying it at the sacrifice of key features we are all used to. They will want to distance it from the X variant and in true Apple style that will most likely be the exclusion of certain fundamentals.

I really hope I’m wrong as I am due to upgrade in September and will be looking at the mid tier devices rather than the X. I’ve been using 3DTouch for the past two years and it’s an essential feature for me. If this device leaves it off simply to distance it from the top tier and keep it ‘budget’, I will most likely buy an iPhone 8 which would potentially be better spec’ed.

24. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

I think you'll be surprised. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2018 ---
    The 6.1" will have 3D Touch. Too many rumors. The cost reducing will be the display, retention of the A11, amount of RAM. It will have Face ID. Very much the phone for the type of customer who chose the 8/8+ over the X.
    It will outsell the 6.5" OLED by a significant margin simply on pricing. OLED and such is not something the majority of people outside of MR care about. Price is the main issue today.

It is good to have choice in the end though. :apple:

25. now i see it macrumors 68030

Everything about the 6.1 LCD model sounds enticing.

3D Touch was first introduced on the 6S and that phone got noticeably thicker and heavier than the 6. The weight difference is especially noticeable on the plus model. For a lot of people, 3D Touch is an unused gimmick. It certainly isn't worth the thickness and weight increase for a feature that's rarely used.

The iPhone 8 (and X) have glass backs for wireless charging and the 8 is noticeably thicker and heavier than the 6 plus (or 7 plus)

The 8 & X both have stainless steel bands around them - which is heavier than the aluminum of the 6-7.

In the end, the latest iPhone has gained a ton of weight and thickness over the years compared to the 6 plus — and it appears (hopefully) that this new 6.1 LCD model will slim it back down. The iPhone 8 plus feels like a brick in your hand compared to the 6 plus.

Also- a lot of people are having eye strain problems with the PWM screen flicker on the X OLED display. The LCD model will eliminate that.

It looks like it's the phone to get.